1/48 Bf109G-6 "Yellow 1" Manfred Dieterle

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Coming along very nicely Andy..!!
Boy, you gentlemen are building outstanding models in a short period of time, like a factory during WWII building volumes in a short time span..sorry..I am not that quick,,,!!

Thanks very much gents. Martin, truth be told, I started this model in 2012 before I had a scheme decided so it has not been that quick!

I'm not 100% happy with the waves on the main wings and will need to do something about that. The problem is that the application was not uniform and there are darker sections which were very much highlighted with the application of the Future coat. Next step is to paint the black undersides and wing roots.

Black underside has been squirted on and red band mask removed.

Here's an extreme close-up of the worst case application of the waves on the port wing showing why I'm not happy with this.

I've decided to go over this pattern with very thin RLM 75 applied with my airbrush and will post pics on how that turns out this weekend.

I would have not thought to do that in pastel powers and would be struggling with an airbrush. Looks very good Andy, and I'm sure you'll be able to straighten out the bit you're not quite happy with.

Welcome Erich. Hope all is well. Indeed, that volume was my inspiration and reference for the model. I tried to match the waves as close as possible to those in the pics.

Anyway, after touching up the waves, here's the same area as it looks now. A bit of an improvement and now acceptable to me though not as good as I'd hoped.

With that done, it was time to redo the spinner. I sanded off the decal and black paint and sprayed yellow overall.

For the spiral, I copied a white spiral from another decal sheet, cut the paper carefully using a french curve along the outer edge of the spiral, and then taped it to some masking tape.

Then using the same french curves, I cut the along the paper template:

The template was then removed and the inner edge of the spiral was cut by eye. This particular spiral was of constant thickness over almost the whole length so it was a simple matter of cutting the inner edge at the same distance from the outer edge.

The tape was then applied to the spinner. The edge was not perfect on spots and touching up would be required.

After painting the black, removing the mask, touching up and application of Future, this is the result:

Thanks for looking in everyone.

Thanks very much gentlemen. The nice comments are appreciated.

With the painting done, it was time to turn my attention to fabricating the tricky little Eberspächer pipes that were attached to the front exhaust stubs on this particular aircraft. For those who don't recall the few pictures and discussion on the earlier pages of this thread, these resembled wide extensions of the exhaust stubs coupled with a ball that acted as a whistle to notify German flak personnel of the presence of a friendly aircraft that they could not otherwise identify. My search for better reference pictures or drawings of these units came up dry so I had to make do with the blurry photos already posted.

To start with, I bought some lengths of 1.5mm square plastic stock to make the stub extensions. For the balls, I thought about opening one of those silicon desiccant bags as I was sure that the little crystals I've seen were spherical.

Unfortunatley, when I opened the bag, I found that these particular ones were rough, jagged shapes that just wouldn't do so I had to think up another plan. I finally landed on rolling a bunch of spheres made of Tamiya 2-part epoxy putty. A lifetime of practicing rolling boogers allowed me to successfully make a bunch of balls of varying sizes by rolling the putty on a piece of smooth plastic card.

Once these were set aside to dry, I installed and painted the kit-supplied exhaust stubs after cutting the front one off:

I thought I took pictures of the steps involved in making the stub extensions but I neglected to do that so I'll describe it. I first cut pieces of the square stock on a 45 degree bevel and glued the ends together to form two L shapes. A second piece was then glued to the inside of one of the legs and, once dry, the edges of this assembly were rounded and smoothed with a fine file. Once cut to size, the stubs were glued over the space reserved for them and the putty balls CA-glued onto the ends. Here's a close-up of how the port one turned out:

The next step was to install the flame shields and these were made simply by cutting some paper and folding the pieces to shape. The following pictures show the finished exhausts.

Just noticed a bit of spidering over one of the gray squiggles (damned close-ups!!!!) that I'll need to touch up. Thanks once again for following my build. Next step will be decals.

Users who are viewing this thread