1/48 DeHavilland Sea Vixen FAW.2 - Carrier Aircraft GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It's a little weird not starting with the cockpit, but I don't have the parts yet. The booms and tailplane are together and mocked up...

100_1308_640x480.JPG

Going to be a big b*****d. Airfix has done some nice engineering on this kit. All the control surfaces are hinged and can be installed after the wings/booms/tailplane are glued together making it possible to pose them or paint them. So far, fit is superb.

Good stuff Bruce. All the reviews really praise this kit, and it's going to be one big, impressive bird when done. The real one looks huge close up, especially for the era, when British carrier aircraft had been relatively small.

Thanks Terry, Jan, Andy, David, Wayne and Paul. I don't know Jan, I tend to drink local micro-brews. Some of them will knock you on your butt so hard that when you wake up your clothes are out of style.

On another front, my cockpit parts came today. Now I can stop pretending that it's the original "stealth" fighter that got only partially funded.

100_1311_640x480.JPG

The other thing I got today is the newest addition to my hobby room....

100_1309_640x480.JPG

That's my son playing my vintage 1982 Atari "XEVIOUS" arcade game. Pumped many a quarter into those babies back in the day. "XEVIOUS" was always my favorite. Hope to get some modelling done tomorrow. Video gaming tonight!

Thanks Vic and Michael. Work has begun on the cockpit. There is am enormous amount of detail on the Eduard Zoom set but most of it can't be seen once the cockpit is in without a flashlight and a magnifier. On the next Sea Vixen I build I'll stick with the kit parts.

100_1312_640x480.JPG

There's still more to go yet in the pit. Once the rear wall and bang seats are in, I won't even be able to take a picture of the instrument panel. Tight quarters to be sure. Feel sorry for the B/N in the real thing.

without detracting from the quality of the work done one bit (I couldnt do it, put it that way), I can't help but note the difference in scale between the 1/48 cockpit and my 1/72 equivalents. This cockpit is about 4cm long, my Venom cockpit will be a shade over 1cm long. No wonder I cant get the detail into such a small space

But nice work I really mean that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back