1/48 F-86 Sabre - Aircraft Nose Art GB.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

That doesn't mean that it has to be dull.
I have met many Canadians, and while they might not be the sharpest tacks in the box, they are certainly interesting.
No offence to my Canadian friends....
(He started it!)
At this point, I would like to appeal to the well known humor of my friends to the north.
It might take you a few minutes,....
But you will surely see the humor.
Tee-Hee!

Last edited:
The Aussies made truck loads of changes in the Saber. So many it almost double the price. Bigger engine, bigger intake, canons instead of machine guns. I'll take some shots of the one at HARS when I am there Friday.

Still lookin good Paul.

The pic posted is an American, ex- USAF Sabre, and was recently gifted to the Museum by the USAF. The British did not convert any Sabres - the RAF received two batches of standard aircraft, similar to the Canadian initial batches, some with, and some without the '6-3' wing, flown direct from the factory.

*whistles

Just a quick thing from Wiki, I'll grab my other articles later if I can sort through these books :D but from all the info. I have the talk about Yugoslavian sabres was similar to wiki:

"The Sabre Mk.4 served with the RAF until mid-1956 when they were replaced by Hawker Hunters. The survivors were overhauled in the UK, fitted with '6-3' wing modifications and handed to the USAF (which had funded these aircraft) which in turn passed them on to other NATO members, with the majority going to Italy and Yugoslavia."

There are at least 2 books I recal with having this info. about the Brits converting the sabres to a non slated 6'3 wing and then handing them to the US who ended up selling some/giving over to Yugoslavia eventually. There is also some info. that I know the British received aircraft from the US and Canada (I know they had ordered some mk. 4s with I think Avro engine) that turned out into a completely different order (but I can't recal the exact book I have this in so I won't go into it all that much :D)

Any new info. or book on the F-86E(M) is greatly welcome :D :) since the E(m) info is all over the place depending on which source you look at :D

Last edited:
Igor, the RAF Sabres were built by Canadair, and were CL-13 (F-86E).
A total of 430 were built, with the engines and some other components funded and supplied by the US, and the airframes built and paid for by the Canadian Government.
The first three, serial numbers 19226, 19236, 19239, were F1's, later re-designated F2 to be in line with Canadian noemclature, and were given RAF Serials XB530- to 532. The remainder were Sabre F4's, serial numbers in the XB500 to 900 series, with 60 aircraft intended for Fighter Command in the XD range, although these were moved around later, due to losses, shortages etc.
The bulk of these aircraft were intended as a stop gap, until the Hunter arrived, and most went to 2 TAF, RAF Germany, eleven squadrons being deployed there, with only two squadrons remaining with Fighter Command in the UK, and the aircraft were delivered, by air, from the Canadair plant by RAF Ferry Command, in an operation known as 'Becher's Brook' (named after the famous Grand National jump at Aintree race course), between 8 December 1952 and 19 December 1953.
Roughly half of the aircraft supplied were fitted with '6-3' wings, the remainder with slatted wings.
When the RAF took delivery of the first Hunters, the surviving Sabres, being the property of the Canadian Government, were returned to Canadair. As you know, the Italian Air Force took delivery of re-furbished aircraft, all from RAF stocks, and some of the ex-RAF aircraft might have been sold to Yugolsavia - but any sales and conversions were the concern of the Canadian Government, not the RAF.
In the early 1960s, I saw a number of the remaining stocks at the RCAF Depot at Prestwick, Scotland, still cocooned for shipment, alongside other types such as Avengers. A few years ago, I re-visited the crash site of two No.66 Sqn Sabres, in the Peak District, not far from where I live. The paint work, although more worn than when I last saw them, was still in fairly good condition.

Sorry to take up your space Paul - back to the thread.

Charles Update,
All went well today, he is home and in no pain. He said he was headed for the La-z-boy for some well deserved rest.
A follow-up is scheduled for early next month, when he hopes the chest line will be removed.
Thanks to all for the good wishes, and he will be back on line in a few days.
Paul.

Last edited:
Charles Update,
All went well today, he is home and in no pain. He said he was headed for the La-z-boy for some well deserved rest.
A follow-up is scheduled for early next month, when he hopes the chest line will be removed.
Thanks to all for the good wishes, and he will be back on line in a few days.
Paul.

Paul that news makes my week man :D, turned from a pretty crummy week to awesome with that info. Thanks for letting us know and its great to hear that Charles will be back soon :)

All the best man! :D :)

Like what you're doing with the Sabre Paul and many thanks for the Charles update.

Stick with it Charles, you'll get there and thinking of you as well Edna May.

Man! Your really moving on this one Paul. Looking great. It doesn't take much nose weight. I remember using a piece of gravel that fit when I built it back in grade school.

I can now declare myself an expert in nose weight having been used as nose weight myself during my recent flight in Witchcraft. All 7 passengers were belted down in the back and as we taxied out to the runway. The tail skid started dragging on the taxiway so me and another guy had to go up through the bomb bay and belt in on the flight deck behind the pilots to keep the nose down. Pretty exciting! :lol:

Aussie CAC Saber from wiki.....

n 1951, CAC obtained a licence agreement to build the F-86. It was decided to power the aircraft using a licence-built version of the Rolls-Royce Avon R.A.7. This involved a re-design of the fuselage as the Avon was shorter, wider and lighter than the General Electric J47 that powered the North American-built aircraft. Because of the engine change the type is often referred to as the Avon Sabre. To accommodate the Avon, over 60% of the fuselage was redesigned along with a 25% increase in the size of the air intake. Another major revision was in replacing the F-86F's six machine guns with two 30mm ADEN cannon,[1] while other changes were also made to the cockpit and to provide an increased fuel capacity.[2]

The prototype aircraft (designated CA-26 Sabre) first flew on 3 August 1953. The production aircraft were designated the CA-27 Sabre and first deliveries to the Royal Australian Air Force began in 1954. The first batch of aircraft were powered by the Avon 20 engine and were designated the Sabre Mk 30. Between 1957 and 1958 this batch had the wing slats removed and were redesignated Sabre Mk 31. These Sabres were supplemented by 20 new-build aircraft. The last batch of aircraft were designated Sabre Mk 32 and used the Avon 26 engine, of which 69 were built up to 1961.[1]

General characteristics
Crew: 1
Length: 37 ft 6 in (11.43 m)
Wingspan: 37 ft 1 in (11.3 m)
Height: 14 ft 5 in (4.39 m)
Wing area: 302.3 sq ft (28.1 m²)
Empty weight: 12,000 lb (5,443 kg)
Loaded weight: 16,000 lb (7,256 kg)
Max. takeoff weight: 21,210 lb (9,621 kg)
Powerplant: 1 × Rolls-Royce Avon turbojet, 7,500 lbf (33.4 kN)

Performance
Maximum speed: 700 mph (1,100 km/h) (605 knots)
Range: 1,153 mi, (1,000 NM, 1,850 km)
Service ceiling: 52,000 ft (15,850 m)
Rate of climb: 12,000 ft/min at sea level (61 m/s)

Armament
Guns: 2× 30 mm ADEN cannons with 150 rounds per gun
Rockets: 24× Hispano SURA R80 80mm rockets
Missiles: 2× AIM-9 Sidewinder Air-to-air missiles
Bombs: 5,300 lb (2,400 kg) of payload on four external hardpoints, bombs are usually mounted on outer two pylons as the inner pairs are wet-plumbed pylons for 2× 200 gallons drop tanks to give the CAC Sabre a useful range. A wide variety of bombs can be carried with maximum standard loadout being 2 x 1,000 lb bombs plus 2 drop tanks.

Just found this thread, Paul. The Sabre is looking really, really good. Also thanks for putting out the word. I'm better, that's about all. Dialysis 3 times a week for 3 hours per session. Kinda mucks up your play time.

Charles

Users who are viewing this thread

Back