1/48 Fairely Swordfish - Mediterranean Theater of Operations

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Donivanp

Captain
Feb 23, 2014
Katy Texas
1/48 Fairely Swordfish L4M from 815 Tarano raid - Mediterranean Theater of Operations

Username: Donivanp
First name: Don
Category: Intermediate
Scale: 1/48
Manufacturer: Tamiya
Model Type: Fairely Swordfish
Aftermarket addons: Tamiya Fairely Swordfish PE set and decals as needed

The Taranto raid has captivated my attention for many years, so the opportunity to depict the obsolete string-bag in a model is something i just could not pass up. I've been waiting for this build for sometime. The HMS Illustrious was to bee the only carrier to be used in this momentous raid, as the HMS Eagle was not up to the task, but her Swordfish did take part flying from the Illustrious. There were two strikes to be flown. the First strike consisted of ten torpedo bearing Swordfish from 815 sq and two from the eagle. Six would carry torpedoes and two 250 lb bombs and flares with the remainder carrying 250 lb bombs. Lt Ian Swayne and observer Sub Lt (A) J Buscall of 815 Sq flying L4M got lost and tot he party early, had tow wait for 15 minutes for the rest of the party to show up and then successfully torpedo the battleship Littorio in the port quarter.

As finding decals for the Taranto raid is near impossible, I shall do my best to represent the aircraft in question piecemealing my markings. 815 Sq had their planes painted with a temporary black belly and under wing. 813 from the Eagle did not. The black paint covered the serarl number and only the 4M was noted on the vertical stab in white. Although I have put the photo together using a Mk 11 I have the Mk I coming in but as the two kits and almost identical I shall start with the Mk II and finish with any differences from the Mk I. The markings in the illustration do nit seem to be correct as the black was applied over the normal light grey under-surface and around the insignia.

Attachments

• IMG_2832.JPG
    IMG_2832.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 177
  • $_57 (1).JPG
    $_57 (1).JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 188
  • 919224Fairey_Swordfish_I__Tarente_1_.jpg
    919224Fairey_Swordfish_I__Tarente_1_.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
Thanks Geo, I'll take anything you can throw my way. I am looking forward to this build. I have not done a biplane in over 30 years. I think the last I remember was around 73 or 74.

Nice Paul, I have two e books on the kindle, Taranto 1940, by AJ Smithers and Stringbags in Action by Vice Adm. B. B. Schofield. None have any good reference photos, but do a good job of laying out the plan and the mission.

Nice Paul, I have two e books on the kindle, Taranto 1940, by AJ Smithers and Stringbags in Action by Vice Adm. B. B. Schofield. None have any good reference photos, but do a good job of laying out the plan and the mission.

Hi Don,

Yeah this book does not have any good reference pictures either. Otherwise I would scan them for you. I do have 5 or 6 other books on the sword fish that I have for finding general reference photos if you need them. I will wait till Geo posts or if you need something specific I can see if I have it as well

All the best
Paul

Just finding reference of the attackers has been difficult and I have been setting for this build for three months now. No photos and little I the way of profiles. Only two sets of decals in 1/48th have been done I can find and both way oop. Areomaster 48-480 is the last and I think the other was xtradetail.

Now this is a build I'm just going to love watching, I recall years back when the Tamiya kit was launched, the fanfare, the excitement and what many thought to be the best ever kit to come out of Tamiya.

Well the Mk I kit came today, a day early as it was supposed to come tomorrow. I started with the Mk II as the cockpit is the same for both. I then swapped trees between the two so the Mk II is in full. The only real difference in the two kits is the lower wing. that is a different part number and the lower wing of the Mk II kit depicts metal platting for the firing of rockets. Something a fabric with dope on it would not handle very well. So here is update #1. I don't really like the Vallejo selection for the British interior green. It is not blue enough but I am not going to mess with it as mixing the right color and holding it constantly for the build will be a worry and I've already done the work. Well just say they had split pea soup and then threw it all back up. EEEuuuuhhh, yeah I know.

Attachments

• sword_1.JPG
    sword_1.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 161
  • sword_2.JPG
    sword_2.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 157
  • sword_3.JPG
    sword_3.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 148
  • sword_4.JPG
    sword_4.JPG