1/48 Fairely Swordfish - Mediterranean Theater of Operations

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Good start Don and I agree about the green being a bit off, though I would not describe it as being "not blue enough". I find the colour to be more of a greyish green with no hint of blue.

Last edited:
Yeah, Don, I went back and tested the MM Acrylic we discussed on FT the other night. I think I will use that one. I may darken it up just a tad as it appears a touch on the light side. Can anyone share with me any negative experiences in mixing different brands of acrylics on one model? Any issues I need to be aware of?

Oh my goodness... what fast start! A little closer on the photos please... that cockpit looks very interesting!

Well being unemployed does have a little bit of pluses. I have time on ,y hands.

Attachments

• sword_5.JPG
    sword_5.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 60
  • sword_6.JPG
    sword_6.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 64
  • sword_7.JPG
    sword_7.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 61
  • sword_8.JPG
    sword_8.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 65
  • sword_9.JPG
    sword_9.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 68
  • sword_10.JPG
    sword_10.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 52
  • sword_11.JPG
    sword_11.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 58
  • sword_12.JPG
    sword_12.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 54
  • sword_13.JPG
    sword_13.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 56
  • sword_14.JPG
    sword_14.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 57
  • sword_15.JPG
    sword_15.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 58
Got a little more accomplished tonight. This kit has set on the shelf for over a year (in my case that's not really that long) but I was afraid to do it. Biplane and damn the box is stuffed full. This is a breeze, the fit is meticulous each part nearly snaps into place and stays.

Attachments

• sword_16.JPG
    sword_16.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 58
  • sword_17.JPG
    sword_17.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 52
  • sword_18.JPG
    sword_18.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 54
  • sword_19.JPG
    sword_19.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 52
  • sword_20.JPG
    sword_20.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 48
  • sword_21.JPG
    sword_21.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 57
I may have to slow down sone, just got an interview for Tuesday, what a great veterans day gift that would be to get a job. Going to run up to Austin for the weekend with Dale so won't do anything till Monday. Give y'all a chance to catch up there.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 63
Oh by the way, any of y'all might be able to help here. The kit has all the racks hanging from under the wing. The torpedo birds only carried the torpedo and nothing else, they had to have the long range fuel tank added just to make the round trip. My guess is the under wings were clean, no racks installed. I can't find enough info on the bird to know if they flew without racks or not. Any input shall be listed to.

According to the Wiki Tente the six planes of the first wave were armed with torpedos but the rest of the group ( 12 Swordfish kites in total ) carried bombs. Also the pic above seems to be taken at a day time while the taking off for the attack was at 21:00. So the twillight should be seen in the pic methinks.

Thank you both, Vic that could not be the raid in question as all the torpedo bombers were 815 squadron and all of their planes had just the day before been painted black undersides. But the photo does sho what I was looking for, also as Wurger points out it was el darko outside at night. Super thanks. I found some pictures of a restored Sworadfish flying without the racks.

Morning Don

Not sure if this helps, did a little scanning of the Taranto Raid book by David Wragg and found the following.

For the Taranto raid, those swordfish assigned to torpedo-bombing sorties would have to carry 60 gallon long range tanks, which would be fitted by means of metal straps into the observers's middle cockpit on each torpedo carrying aircraft: he in turn would displace the TAG in the cramped rear cockpit. The bomber swordfish would also have a extra tank, but fitted under the fuselage. Apart from pushing the observer into the rear cockpit, the other disadvantage of having the long range fuel tank in the middle cockpit was that there was a real danger of fuel being vented into the rear cockpit, leaving the observer up to his waist in highly inflammable and explosive high octane petrol.

Hope this helps.

All the best
Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back