1/48 Fairely Swordfish - Mediterranean Theater of Operations

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

And here is the list of crews and codes of planes with armament carried. These a/c marked with the "*" had flaras additionally.

wave.jpg

Super great info gentalmen and thank you. I did indeed have it all, from the book I read on the subject. Interestingly I had started this project with the Mk II and gravateded to the Mk I when it came in and as Tamiya did the kits I needed items from both. The long range tanks are only in the Mk II, but could be ordered separately from Tamiya, if you knew what you needed. The lower wing of the Mk I is different from the Mk II. It is also different from the float plane version. So it seems that a Taranto raid bird, Could not ne built out of the box.

Now I am seeing better, I was thinking incorrectly as to the squadrons involved and plane colors. Vic's phot is consistent with the second wave. The flight was though near two hours in and the second wave was 60 minutes behind the first. The carrier turned into the wind at 20:00 hrs and the first strike was off by 20:47 and formed up by 2100. So the light of day does call question for a November day. Don't know how long the day is at that time year in the Med.

The Taranto base was attacked at the night on the 11th/12th November. Today it is the 9th Nov. And I don't think the difference is siginficant comparing to the 1940 time. I have checked on the sunrise and sunset list for the Taranto area. The sunrise on the 11th Nov. is 6:30 and the sunset is 16:38. So the twillight should be seen in the Vic's image.

I have to admit guys that your right, the photo does not fit the timeframe and as they would most probably have been operating by GMT, it would have been very dark indeed, though there would have been some moon, full moon was about the 16 Nov. Anyway, the photo does show the aircraft loaded with torpedo and nothing else.

Been kinda depressed for a few days, job search not running as fast as I want it. I'm getting hits on my resume but we are not getting the "We want you interviews". Well any wan after talking to Dale yesterday abd he gave me the same spill I gave him, I broke out the Sward fins. While I have Tamiyas bracing PE set and everyone says how great it is, I have a different opinion and a few new bad words to use. I then came upon a much simpler and effective way of braking. I am still using parts of the PE set but I found some remains of my son guitar strings. Vala, they go in pretty nice just have to drill out the pre laid out holes tot he right size. I like it much better then the flat that the PE gives. The bracing cables should be round. I have used two different size stings to get the job done as well. What do you think. I am pulling out the Tamiya PE and replacing all with the guitar strings.

Since it is an 815 Sq bird I am doing they painted the belly of their plays black. I also had to order some decals for the tail marking. I found the right ones from Squadron, 1:48 XtraDecal RAF Post War White Letters, Numbers and Command Titles - XK48045. though they are listed as Post War, they look to be what I need, they had better be as they were $21 after shipping handling and tax.

Attachments

• sword_23.JPG
    sword_23.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 122
  • sword_24.JPG
    sword_24.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 108
  • sword_25.JPG
    sword_25.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 128
  • sword_26.JPG
    sword_26.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 110
  • sword_27.JPG
    sword_27.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 110
  • sword_28.JPG
    sword_28.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 111
  • sword_29.JPG
    sword_29.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 119
  • sword_30.JPG
    sword_30.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 126
  • XK48045-2.jpg
    XK48045-2.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 116
Coming along nicely Don. I thought about purchasing the P.E. set for my Swordfish but after reading the reviews saying the wires were too flat, I've postponed for now. I was thinking though, maybe running some clear on them to beef them up a bit. Best of luck with the job search.

Geo

Good job on the wiring! I could imagine potential pitfalls with trying to use PE wiring. I may have similar issues with the PE engine wiring on my P-47D.

Coming along nicely Don. I thought about purchasing the P.E. set for my Swordfish but after reading the reviews saying the wires were too flat, I've postponed for now. I was thinking though, maybe running some clear on them to beef them up a bit. Best of luck with the job search.

Geo

But Geo I thought some(maybe WWI) Brit subjects they were flat? :dontknow:

I've not given up on this SOB but the concepts that I devised for the bracing are not going a well as expected. Well leave it at that. *^%#*$^@(*%$^#@*$$^#%!*$^@*#

IMG-20111012-00068.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back