1/48 Hurricane Mk.1 H.J. Davidson 249 Sqn BoB Ace

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I think I'm on the mend Bill, but my Internet connection isn't!
Lost all my settings and normal default browser - operating via 'the back door' at the moment, until my mate can have a look to see what the problem is. My provider has run a check, and can't find a problem. Driving me bl**dy nuts!!

looks good Bill, here's a pattern guide for you

a+b pattern.jpg

More is coming. Just ordered a vacuum formed canopy. I want to have this open, but the kit is one piece.
And been too busy with GB16 stuff, but now that That is sorted...

Wings will go on next, finish the seams and start the paint. Going light on the colors for a bit of fade.

Thanks for keeping track.

When I was at the Sydney model show I was talking to a dealer, he finlly asked "why I don't just use the decals in the bloody kits"! "Now what fun would That be" I says back. It's like the golf pro who used to hit Into the bunkers, just to make the round "interesting"!

I agree there. I always to prefer to model aircraft of the 'normal bloke', instead of the well-known aces or personalities. For every ace, there are at least another 12 or more aircraft per squadron/staffel etc which often get overlooked. If everyone only built the aces' mounts, then in fifty years or so, people would think that every pilot in WW2 was an ace!
I much prefer to portray an aircraft representative of the everyday, average aircrew of a particular unit.

Most of the pilots in any war flew missions without any "kills", or at best, one or two. These guys were the unsung heroes. There is always a natural predisposition to model the "Aces", and I have done my fair share of those, but I have always tried to balance that out with some of the more "work-a-day" craft.

Back on this one since GB17 is fini!
Cockpit stuck in, wings on.
Then I look at the canopy to see how I can mask it. Bl00dy h3ll, dontcha hate it when you spend so much time on the innerds and low and behold it's a one piece canopy!!!!!!

****Is there a spare Hasegawa MK1 canopy out there. Then I can cut each up and make a sliding back piece. Maybe.

Last edited:
You'll probably find the canopy won't fit over the fuselage spine in the open position Bill. I've used, and will be using again, the Falcon/Squadron vac-formed canopy, and somewhere in my spares box, I have a mould I made for a Hurricane sliding section many years ago, but b*gg*red if I can find it!
If you can't get the vac-form locally, then Hannant's stock them, and there are two in the pack.
I always thought the Hasegawa kit had the option for an open canopy?

Just the one canopy in the kit Terry. I do have a vac form canopy and have trimmed it to the rear piece. But the vac canopy still has to stretch over the spine. And I've never worked out how to attach these vac thingies and have found them more trouble than they are worth for me.

Oh well. the single piece will keep the dirt out of the cockpit.

No worries mate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back