1/48 Hurricane Mk.1 H.J. Davidson 249 Sqn BoB Ace

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

N4521U

Colonel
Nov 1, 2009
Miranda, NSW
Just something I want to do. From time to time I will hit on this one, no completion date. One more from my Davidson list. I am in contact with a grand daughter of H.J.'s, who has provided me with excepts of his log book. For that I am oh so grateful.

P/O H.J. Davidson became an ace with 249 Sqn during the BoB. Harry left 249 before the sqn was transferred to defend Malta. He volunteered for the CAM project and made the first shipboard rocket and rail launch. He sailed aboard the Empire Rainbow to and return from Nova Scotia, which happens to be my maternal grandmothers birthplace. He was killed in a crash on landing piloting a Boulton Paul Defiant.

My build will depict the Hurricane he flew scoring his first full victory, he had other partials, with 249 Sqn. On the 2nd of Sept he was credited with an Me-110 in A/C code GN*Y. I am basing the plane on some photos of GN aircraft pictures I have found. The photo attached is a section of a painting depicting 249 sqn preparing for another sortee for the day.

Hasgawa 1/48 Hurri Mk.1, Eduard c-pit and masks, Aires Control surfaces, Q'boost exhausts and prop, Ulktracast wheels.

Attachments

• HD Hurri 1a.jpg
    HD Hurri 1a.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 253
  • HD Hurri 1b kit.jpg
    HD Hurri 1b kit.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 260
  • HD Hurri 1c interior.jpg
    HD Hurri 1c interior.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 263
  • HD Hurri 1d cntrl srfcs.jpg
    HD Hurri 1d cntrl srfcs.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 253
  • HD Hurri 1e exhausts.jpg
    HD Hurri 1e exhausts.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 257
  • HD Hurri 1f wheels.jpg
    HD Hurri 1f wheels.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 264
  • HD Hurri 1g prop.jpg
    HD Hurri 1g prop.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 268
  • HD Hurri 1h masks.jpg
    HD Hurri 1h masks.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 265
Good stuff Bill. Before you get to the decal stage, check as many references as you can, as this Squadron used over-sized code letters. I should have some photos of the Squadron during the BoB if you need them.

Good stuff Bill. Before you get to the decal stage, check as many references as you can, as this Squadron used over-sized code letters. I should have some photos of the Squadron during the BoB if you need them.

Knew I could count on someone!!!! Thanks for the offer.

Seems all I have are art work renditions. Would love to see a real GN*Y photo. But I will accept anything to authenticate the code. Speaking of, I have seen 249 also used the VY code which 85 sqn used. Don't know how true That is tho. If they did, was that code used during the BoB????

Thanks again,
Bill

Bill, 249 Sqn never used 'VY' code letters - you've probably seen a mis-captioned photo in a book, a sign that the rest of the contents of the book could be doubtful!
I'll sort and post some pics/profiles soon - don't know if there'll be a 'Y' in them, but certainly some other well know pilot's aircraft.

Bill, 249 Sqn never used 'VY' code letters - you've probably seen a mis-captioned photo in a book, a sign that the rest of the contents of the book could be doubtful!
I'll sort and post some pics/profiles soon - don't know if there'll be a 'Y' in them, but certainly some other well know pilot's aircraft.

Thanks Terry. I have seen a list codes assigned sqns, and it listed VY for 249 and 85 sqns. Seen it a couple of places. But will use the GN*Y on this Davidson A/C. Thought it was a bit suspect. Look forward to seeing what you've got.

Yes, I've seen that listed before also, and have no idea where the 'evidence' of such codes arose.
All RAF squadrons changed their code letters at the outbreak of WW2, but 249 Sqn didn't reform until May 1940, having been disbanded in May 1919. They were equipped with Spitfires at first, but only for a few weeks, before receiving Hurricanes. By this time, all squadron codes were well established, so it's hard to see how 249 could ever have had the 'VY' code letters, when 85 Sqn had them from September 1939 !

So today, since I have no decals yet for the whirley bid, I've done some cockpit work on the Hurricane.
Can't spray it with all the PE stuff in it, will have to brush. Commin along tho, bit by bit!

Attachments

• HD Hurri 2a cockpit.jpg
    HD Hurri 2a cockpit.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 230
  • HD Hurri 2b cockpit.jpg
    HD Hurri 2b cockpit.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 236
  • HD Hurri 2c cockpit.jpg
    HD Hurri 2c cockpit.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 235
  • HD Hurri 2d cockpit.jpg
    HD Hurri 2d cockpit.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 241
Well the last couple days have been spent working on the cockpit. It's ready to go in. Forgot how fast PLANES build. Damned helicopters. Toooo bluddy many bits.

Attachments

• HD Hurri 3a cockpit.jpg
    HD Hurri 3a cockpit.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 195
  • HD Hurri 3b cockpit.jpg
    HD Hurri 3b cockpit.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 187
Looking good Bill, but agree with Andy. Also, some of the tubular frames were often finished in 'Aluminium', a silver paint finish, as were the heel boards, but check references to confirm, as this could vary between factories (eg Hawker and Gloster).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back