1/48 I-16 Type 10 - From WW1 to WW2 GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Rogi

Master Sergeant
Aug 1, 2011
Username:Rogi
First Name: Igor
Category:3
Scale: 1/48
Kit Manufacturer: Eduard
Model Type: I-16 Type 10
Details:

One of the fellow modelers on the forum said he'd do a I-16 type 10 (I think it was tigerdriver :) , so it got me thinking, why not do one too :D ..... but you guys know me, I love that Japan Technical Aviation Institute stuff. (captured Allied aircraft used by Japan! :D) So I'll present the story, I think it fits into the timeline of 1914-1939 if not, let me know and I'll take the thread out of the running :) I wasn't sure if this included the start of war tech or anything up to Dec. 1939. Since theres no precise date for when the Japanese acquired this I-16 type 10 (at least nothing in English, there is a book that I have in Japanese that I think Shinpachi has too that might list the date)

So far I've found that it was flown in by a Mongolian Deserter in May 1939 (most of the info. that I have either points to early 1939 or May 1939) to Arutoki Airfield in West Manchuria.
After being repainted in IJ Grey Green and being checked out Lt.Col Yamamoto flew the aircraft during its tests. It was tested up until around the mid 1940s.

Something to note: the propeler looks like it was re-painted in the reguler Japanese Aluminum and Black prop. scheme. with red stripes.
i16-japanese-picture4.jpg

i16-japanese-picture3.jpg

i16-japanese-picture2.jpg

I-16-4.jpg

I16-3x.jpg

I16-2x.jpg

I16-1x.jpg

Color3.jpg

Last edited:
Posted all the pics I have of the aircraft :) thanks guys for the comments :) Ice cream was great hehe :)

Yes Geo, you are right. These diagrams are of the systems.

dangnabit it beat me to it !!

I am still planning on one , if it arrives in time, though mine is the inferior Academy mould ... which i think is an old hobby boss kit . Will be watching this with interest and possibly getting some tips :)

View attachment 215756View attachment 215757

It's all in Russian but I think it's the undercarriage retraction and brake systems.

Geo

Thanks Geo :D Eduard also have it in its diagrams, I'm not sure if they used Rope or a wire, but I'll most likeley pop in a wire to keep it strong, is there any specific arc or shape that the wire should hold? :)

View attachment 215756View attachment 215757dangnabit it beat me to it !!

I am still planning on one , if it arrives in time, though mine is the inferior Academy mould ... which i think is an old hobby boss kit . Will be watching this with interest and possibly getting some tips

Thanks for giving me the idea to do this kit :) The academy should be ok its not that much worse off than Eduard, lots of sanding in the Eduard kit looks like :)

Forgot to post these today :D I cut out the hatch for the cockpit so I can pose it open, still a bit more cutting and sanding but its looking better than this today atm.
DSCN5747.jpg

Other Side:
DSCN5746.jpg

Close Up
RSCN5748.jpg

and some color to the sides, I did J.N Grey in honor of the japanese theme, I beleive its medium grey on the sides and green on the cockpit tub, but I decided to do it more in like with Japanese Colors since the exterior will be Grey Green.
I moved the bottom instrument up because in dry fitting the cockpit tub didn't want to fit.
RSCN5797.jpg

other side of fuselage fully painted. and wires added, I didn't do any wires on the other side since I couldn't get a good shot of a I-16 Type 10s cockpit. only 24s :S
DSCN5836.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back