1/48 Martlet MK IV - Aircraft in Foreign Service WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

:thumbright:

Now check if the engine cowling fits to the front of the fuselage. If you remember the front area of the fus was a little bit longer for Martlet Mk.IV.

I'm onto it a bit later. Hopefully not too much extending will be needed.

On another note - cockpit colours. I guess as with the exterior this was painted using the US colours.
Will this be the case of the trusty old zinc chromate or were US Navy cockpits different. I have seen a variety used on models I've come across during research.

Cheers Chris

According to the Kagero book about the Wildcat the interior of the fuselage was painted with Zinc Chromate Primer FS33481.

"F4F-3 / F4F-4, Wildcat. Cockpit: FS 34058 Bronze Green. Some may have been painted FS 34151. The inside of the engine cowling and main gear bay were Light Gray, as was the interior of the fuselage all the way back to the tail. Tri-color aircraft would have had Insignia White wheel bays (cutout for the tire). The only area that was Bronze Green was the pilot's portion of the cockpit above the 'Floor'. The fuel tank under the cockpit was light gray or black with an interior green supporting structure. The area below the floor was Interior Green.

FM-1 / FM-2 Wildcat. Cockpit: Interior FS 34151, Interior Green. Similar to the TBM. Wheel bay (cutout for the tire) was the exterior color. The engine accessory area (the area behind the firewall) was Light Gray. Tri-color FM-1's likely had Light Gray engine cowling interiors and the rear fuselage was Light Gray also."

"However, on 21 December 1942 the Chief of BuAer wrote to the Naval Aircraft Factory clarifying the correct hue of Zinc Chromate to be used. In this he stated that it had been agreed by the Army Air Force to adopt the "Navy cockpit green" as the "standard" colour for tinted Zinc Chromate primer and that it had also been agreed to change the name to Interior Green."

I would suggest using the Model Master Dark Green FS 34079 which is close to the Bronze Green.

Cool thanks Wojtec. I have a bottle of Vallejo 71.016 US Dark Green so that will do nicely.

Trial fitted the cowling and I think I might be able to get away without extending the forward fuselage.

A41E1F4B-EE86-4F6D-AE7D-4F272E476C1B-207-000000091DF7B065_zps22196479.jpg

Still some tidying up to do obviously.

Cheers Chris

Ok so with the fuselage compete I am left with a step leading back from the cowling.

Looks like I will need to build up using plastic sheet and then re profile.

08A7A54F-96E1-48BB-8780-0001CECAB5E4-450-000000B0E3783314_zpsfdebef42.jpg

Cheers Chris

As I told you there could be a need to make the fusleage longer in order to get the correct dimension of the front fuselage ( just behind the engine cowling ). I think it can be enough to add a plastic bulkhead to the front of the fuselage and reshape the area. Are there any pieces for the engine mount etc .. at the front wall of the fuselage?

Regarding these exhaust pipes... I have enlarged the pic of the Martlet IV and used the Gama correction for making it brighter. It revealed that there were pipes or a kind of covering running back form the bottom of the engine cowling. Have a look please...

martlet_iv.jpg

martlet_iv_.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Charles.

The step is very noticeable "in the flesh" but will get around to that once the cockpit is in and the fuselage assembled.

Cheers Chris

Wojtek, thanks once more.

There is a bulk head but it sits just in front of the instrument panel.
Attached to that is a tubular type framework that extends forward which the engine mounts onto.

Im sure I can fabricate the exhaust. Will keep searching for more pictures.

Cheers Chris

Here we go -

FABF8AF1-C6A6-451F-B52D-6583A516B05B-171-00000018097AF750_zps6d4a3e5f.jpg

And this is what I have to extend -

D45C3882-D5D9-4C1C-A83C-60921A70E02C-171-000000178AE0F1AF_zps622e26cd.jpg

I'm thinking about glueing on some flattened sprue and filing to shape.
What do you think?

Cheers Chris

To much of work with the flattend sprue. I would suggest gluing a plastic plate of thickenss of a couple of milimeters. And then removing of their central areas. But first of all I would compare the fuselage half with drawings of the scale. In the way you will find the plate thickness because it will be the missing part of the fuselage length.

Good idea Wojtek.

I think in theory it should be the same thickness as the piece I cut off the engine cowling?
I may even be able to use the pieces I cut off.

Cheers Chris

Good idea Wojtek.

I think in theory it should be the same thickness as the piece I cut off the engine cowling?
I may even be able to use the pieces I cut off.

Cheers Chris

To be hones I haven't thought about that. But you may be right. If you are you can use these cut off pieces. However remember that the total length of the Martlet IV fuselage was shorter that the one of the US Wildcat. So more of sanding can be needed.

Last edited:
I'm having trouble understanding what the issue is but it looks like the Doktor has you covered. It's odd for a Tamiya kit to have fit issues like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back