1/48 Martlet MK IV - Aircraft in Foreign Service WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

To Celebrate the British government's foiling of the Gun Powder plot.
The "official" date of this celebration is November 5th. We typically have a big fire with a representation of one of conspirators on top of it and let off fireworks that represent the gunpowder that was planned to blow the House of Parliament into the next century.
Having young kids and the 5th being a weekday it's easier to do them at a weekend instead of a school night.

Cheers Chris

November 5th. Wish you would blow up this SOB once and for all ... I'm sick of seeing this in the streets of western democracies

Attachments

• $T2eC16VHJHwFG1Kcgw4(BR8GCyz3-g~~60_35.JPG
    $T2eC16VHJHwFG1Kcgw4(BR8GCyz3-g~~60_35.JPG
    10.7 KB · Views: 222
Yeah back to build.

Does anybody have a information about the colour of the Martlet undercarriage?
The instructions for the F4F-4 call for medium blue but the photograph I have seen of a MKV Martlet show a black undercarriage.
Was black standard/ specific for Martlets?

Cheers Chris

Karl - very much appreciated sir. They arived this afternoon.

Geo - thanks for the links. I may just purchase both. I'm sure I will find a use for the remainder in the future some time.

Cheers Chris

Andy - I'm in the same boat not being able to really tell them apart.
Come across this picture showing the underside of a Martlet in a slightly unconventional way -

Courtesy of Google -

6DB77E47-21D0-47AD-BCD8-FB581E1FD3CE-1958-000002F8C8FCEC2D_zpsa02c0727.jpg

Cheers Chris

The inverted pilot is IIRC, Capt. Eric Brown, British test pilot, and I believe he was chastised for this maneuver.
ceb.JPG

"Wildcat Cat Aces of WW2 -Osprey Publishing"
Geo

Last edited:
Nice one Geo.

The build is starting tonight help by the arrival of the folding wing set -

4F506932-7003-44B0-883C-B520E0961A8C-420-000000B791A41B01_zps3aae0d97.jpg

I'm now trying to think of how to make the wings interchangeable.
I think I'm going to plate the fuselage where I remove the original wings and then insert dowels into each wing so that they can be swapped over by inserting them into holes in the fuselage.

That's assuming the wings I cut off are in a fit state to be reattached.

Cheers Chris

Looks like a neat conversion set Chris. I'm not sure that being able to swap out folded/spread wings will work very well though - I think there'd be a noticeable gap/joint at the roots if the wing inner sections are not properly fitted, and this would also affect the overall look of the finished model, and probably the 'sit' of the folded wings tool.
You could, of course, have one wing folded, and the other 'spread'.

Yeah I see what you mean Terry.
Maybe I could PVA them on so that they are easily removed if I fancy a change.

Failing that your proposal of only one folded and could be a good idea.

I think I'll make a start on modding the cowl tonight then and think the wing situation over some more.

Cheers Chris

Cut down cowl and intake removed.
Now to figure out the exhaust exit etc.

2CC51D4F-DDBE-44B8-A222-323463986EF2-714-000000DFE6D1D820_zps558b60c8.jpg

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back