1/48 Martlet MK IV - Aircraft in Foreign Service WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi Andy,

As a wildcat it's fine oob but to convert to a Martlet the engine cowling needs shortening and the fuselage forward of the cockpit needs lengthening.

Neither did I until Grandmaster's Terry, Geo and Wojtec pointed out all of the differences.

I thought this would be an easy build for my second GB and 4th model build as an adult. Wrong!
I Will step up out of the beginner Catagory after this build though as I have now covered all the "new" groun once the Martlet is done.

Here is a comparison of the Martlet Mk.IV and F4F Wildcat. The black lines are of the Martlet. It is clarly seen that the front of the fuselage between the wing leading edge at the wing root and the rear edge of the engine cowling is longer than the same area of the Wildcat ( red lines ). The total length of the Martlet fuselage is about 10cm shorther than the one of the Wildcat. But it is the result of the prop type mostly. However the engine cowling of Martlet is shorter than the Wildcat one. Additionally I would say that it is for the Martlet Mk.IV while Martlet Mk. II and III had it as the US variants of F4F.

wildcat_ martlet IV.jpg

This must be a full time job for you Wojtek.

Thanks for that and I think the drawing confirms that I need to extend the fuselage about the same amount as I cut of the Wildcat cowling (maybe 1 or 2mm shorter)

Cheers Chris

This must be a full time job for you Wojtek......

Cheers Chris

Not at all... :lol: Today it is a Sunday. :lol:

...Thanks for that and I think the drawing confirms that I need to extend the fuselage about the same amount as I cut of the Wildcat cowling (maybe 1 or 2mm shorter)

How much you did you cut of the cowling? I think it should be enough to glue two plastic plates of thickness 3mm to these fuselage halves. Then you can easy shape them keeping the fuselage shape toward the engine cowling.

This is turning into an interesting build and good on you for taking these changes on Chris.

Thanks Vic.

Wojtek - the pice I cut from the cowl measure 3.5mm and I basically already shaped.
If I use that it means I can still fit and use the bulkhead and engine mounts.

4B2CE243-C6D8-46BD-9A41-2C15328B487D-5295-00000138361BB31C_zps2d46f45c.jpg

Cheers Chris

There is another small separate piece that forms the exhaust exit on the wildcat.
If I use that then it also gives me the new exhaust exit I need for the Martlet.

Cheers Chris

Hello all, no update. Life has been mental over the last few months and work seems to be taking up most of my time even when at home. For that reason there is no chance I'm going to get this or any other model built in the foreseeable future. Not even getting time to sit and aimless browse the forum :( . I will make a return though when possible. Could a mod move this thread to "start to finish builds" please and I will update as and when I can.

Cheers Chris

Thanks guys. I may be able to get about an hour modelling a week in on a Saturday morning. Just means I need to move all of my equipment over to my Grandma's house where I take the kids every Saturday morning. As my youngest is now 1yr old I can start to leave her with my Grandma as she's not so dependant on me (the missus works a Saturday so I'm on child duty). At worst I'm only in the garage if needed (Gran has arthritis so struggles with the kids) Will start moving models and equipment over this weekend coming and see how it goes from there.

Wish you all good luck for this GB.

Cheers Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back