1/48 Me 410A-1/U-2 Dietrich Puttfarken - Me/FW Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Paul and, yes, the reading has started. I'll be talking my time on this one.

think you will find the night op version as Paul was suggesting a bit trickier for the time period you select, all of them were dark grey-black to some degree as it was still early enough in 1944 when they performed intrusions over Great Britain the under black was selected by experimentation in pigment colours and fading/brightness. may be better to choose a later 1944 B variant of ZG 26 with the 2cm cannon packages in the nose and under waffen belly positions. what is whacked is the placement of the decal-staffel and the ZG 26 numerals. Depending on Staffel/Gruppe and the month of 44 there may or may not have been a colored numeral added or deleted. The Petrick book should be good as a reference, or get you that much more confused.

Thanks Erich. I'm used to getting confused so no problem! And, yes, I'm leaning toward day fighters. The kit also provides decals for a KG(J) 51 machine with the red/yellow RV band which I find kind of attractive (I've seen aerial shots of this one) but I'll wait until the arrival of the book before I finalize the scheme. Also seems hard to find aftermarket decals for this kit.

As Erich rightly implies, it might be easier to choose a subject which has as much photographic evidence to its appearence as possible. It seems some pretty obscure units used the Me 410 - if you thought KG 51 kites were thin on the ground pictorially, how about KG 101? I've only ever seen one and I'm not entirely sure about that either! Werkusta 51 used them too - never seen a single photo.

Looking through the Petrick/Stocker book most of the featured aircraft in the gallery section are A-1 models.....

If the kit includes the decals for 9K+Vv with the red/yellow RVT band, I can confirm that photos of that bird exist in the Kagero Me 410 book ~13.

Now out of print. :(

KG 51 never received the (J) designation, they were always KG 51. 9K+Vv was allegedly from Erg.Gr.KG 51.

Here's the profile in question. The book only says 74/75/76 with yellow-red DoR band.

Attachments

• Picture 17.png
    Picture 17.png
    119.1 KB · Views: 256
Yes indeed - good catch, that's the machine in question.

A slight correction. A profile of 9K+Vv appears in the Kagero book. The photo is in "Messerschmitt Me 210/410 in Action" Squadron/Signal Publications.

You can pick those up cheaply on eBay. Well worth it too.

the unit was primarily teaching bomber pilots converting to fighter pilots in it's training on Me 410's. the unit as far as I know never participated in any Reich defense operations, again one of the reasons to choose of the many 410's in ZG 26 at least you will have an operational bird ZG 26 or the red banded ZG 76 birds

Beautiful work Cory - you've just saved Andy a few dollars!

I shall have to find the reference to KG 51's rather abortive role in the RVT in the Dierich book - it makes for sober reading.

Wow, go away for a few hours an look what I miss. Cory, thanks for the PM and the scan. I already have the Squadron Me 210/410 in action so have that pic. It's the one I was thinking of in my earlier post. The kit actually provides decals for 9K+Ww, the rig in the background.

Thanks everyone

Thanks Karl. What book is that? I've ordered this one and am awaiting delivery.

Andy i've got the kagero, Mushroom, Sqdrn/Sig in action and another one in russian that i cant pronounce !
had a look through all yesterday and didn't find a pic of your original subject so i kept quiet but have profiles of quite a few other birds i'll e-mail you a load of stuff tomorrow

Do you have this one? Its great book I can scan some stuff later if you'd like

Attachments

• NEW.jpg
    NEW.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 186

Users who are viewing this thread

Back