1/48 MPM Heinkel He 177 A5 "Captured Bird", FINISHED :-) !!!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

What an impressive detail work inside that cabin !!
Do you have all Eduard's kit for your bird?

You are doing an extraordinary job Jerry, and you have one of the great advisers and experienced friends of the forum with you.

I am very attentive to the follow-up on the progress of those interiors (you know that is what I most enjoy in modeling) I am still learning.

Saludos

Great work on the cabin! I like how you posed the front seatbelts... the Eduard brass belts can look very rigid otherwise.

Thanks for all the kind comments!

After some diggin' arround I finaly found a pic of the B-Stand Gunners seat...
Seams I'm on the right track Not sure it's an actuall pic of the A3/A5 configuration, but close enough for me.

However, the more pics I find on the He 177 cockpit, the more obvious it get's a lot of shortcuts were taken by MPM and Eduard. Though it's also a bit of a warning to not let the AMS take over on the build...

I hope to get a few things done this week and hopefully be able to get the cockpit and fuselage done. I also did a somewhat stupid thing of purchasing another MPM He 177 kit
I know this is totally crazy...But it was a used kit at a price I just could not ressist...
But I will stay focused on this build.

A small update. I managed to get a few things done. Cockpit is almost ready now. just need to install a few more eduard stuff (control colum, rudder pedals, bombsight and some small levers and stuff) But both pilot's and B-stand gunner's seats are now in place.
I also managed to get the radio rack done. Looking at the references I have, I think the pilot's seat is still placed to far from the rudder pedals, even though I moved it forward. Correcting this would mean to tear down the cockpit again and that is something I won't do at this point. So, I'll leave it like it is... Imho, the cockpit layout on the kit is not correct. I think the kit's floor is too long. But I think I can work my way arround it.

And I took a good look at the wings. These are glued now (minus the engines) and I made a few spars, as I found the attachment points for the wings to small and also to make sure the wing diheral is good. This was more work then I anticipated and I might have to do them again, as I made them a bit too small. Problem was that that the tab that should slide in the wing was oversized by 0.5mm. I first tought that my wing spars were too wide, but after cutting them down the wing would still not fit. then I realized the it was down to the kit parts, not my own doing. But now I have a general idea how to deal with the wings. The He 177 is a BIG airoplane in 1/48th scale... Even though this kit is far from "Shake 'n Bake" I'm enjoying every minute building it.

So, that's all for now. I hope to post more progres next week.

I went a bit further on the build. Almost all interior Eduard brass is ready now. Verry fidly and time consuming stuff and verry petite but worth the effort in every way, especially when compared to the short run kit parts. I really like Eduards pre-painted brass parts a lot as they have a detailed finish which is impossible to achive with paint and brush.
I also made two new longer wing spars as I found the the ones I made earlier where a tad too short and small to my liking.

Next will be some work on the turrets. these also get some Eduard details.

I also bought a set of ETC 1000 racks for the wings, which are sadly not included in the kit. These are from a small French firm called "NR Models" which are superdetailed resin parts and come with all the details, including piping, etc. I'll have to scratch the fuselage rack though as this is not availble. It seams that the MPM Hi Tech He 177 has these racks included, but they are not the correct ones for the He-177 (they are from the earlier mid 90's? 1/48 Condor Misile set). A bit strange imho as the 1/72nd scale Revell He 177 A5 and A7 kits have the correct racks included and these kits predate the MPM release.

I post pics soon of my latest progress. But as things are looking now I can see the He 177 being done by december '17.

And here are the pics as prommesed! The cockpit is now almost ready (still need to redo the pilot's rudder pedals as I managed to damage one. I'll replace these with a pair of Koster Do 217 rudder pedals which look the same)

As you can see there will be need of some elbow grease in order to make the cockpit floor sit straight. MPM did install a few tabs for the floor, but I'm not sure they are at the correct height. I feel the floor sits a tad to high. You can also see that the left co pilot's/Bombardier console does not fit good with the inner fuselage. I think this a due to the very vague cockpit installement guide of MPM's instructions. Though nothing that can't be handled.

To bad most of the beautiful Eduard detail will be hidden forever. Especially the radio rack in the back. Oh well, it was a lot of fun to make and a real test for one's nerves

Next were new and longer wing spars. I based these on the bulkhead of the mid fuselage and reworked them. These are made from 1mm thick plastic card and will improve the rigidy and strenght of the wing after it's been glued to the fuselag

And last some work on the kit's engines with the adition of some Eduard brass.
I also reworked the wheels as I felt these were too squared. Looking at pics of the real aircraft, I noticed the wheels are a bit rounder, less flat then the kit's wheels. I carefully rounded of the squared "shoulder" of the tire. We'll see how it works out.

The wheel on the left is unaltered, where the wheel on the right is slightly reshaped.

So, with some luck I can start thinking of actually closing up the fuselage and adding the wings, tail and tailplanes. So hopefully sonn we will see a He 177...

Users who are viewing this thread