1/48 PBY-5 Catalina, RAAF, 11 Sqn - Jet/Recon/Transport GB (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
Username: Lucky13
First name: Jan
Category: Medium
Scale: 1/48
Kit : Revell PBY-5 Catalina
Extras: Decals from here and there... :lol:

DSCF0001_zpsc889fb2d.jpg

RAAF A-24 Catalina;
A24-13, C/N 307;
Delivered by Qantas as VH-AFN 19/09/41, to 11 Sqn 16/11/41.
MIA 24/02/42, Rabaul.

Crew at the time of going MIA;
SQNLDR Ern Beaumont (Pilot),
PLTOFF Michael Evans (2nd Pilot),
SGT Ray Richardson, (2nd Wireless Op/Air Gunner),
CPL Ray Adams (1st Engineer),
LAC Max Berghouse (2nd Engineer),
LAC George Formby (1st Wireless Op),
LAC Clive Grainger (Rigger),
AC1 Leonard Farrands (Armour).

PBY_5_Catalina_A24_17_being_overhauled_at_Lake_Boga_Aug_1942_sized.jpg

Sistership to A24-13, PBY-5 Catalina A24-17 being overhauled at Lake Boga Aug 1942...

Gonna need all the help that I can get with this one, to break that vicious circle known as, CUFGBS, Chronically Unable to Finish a Group Build Syndrome...

Last edited by a moderator:
A great addition to the GB...... we'll give yah all the help you need to get over the line mate.

You gonna build the scaffolding as well..........

Naaah....but, I'd love to build a diorama like that someday! that is, if I can find plans for the scaffolding... :lol:

Good on you Jan, lovely machine and my favourite, check my Cat GB thread out for some details but I'm wont expect a copy of time magazine in the loo..............

DSCF0001_zpse5e27d0a.jpg

With what, will I replace the kits rope and how do I best get rid of it!

DSCF0002_zps72e05a91.jpg

Oh you f*****g...oh well, new blade...

DSCF0003_zps9296c72d.jpg

What in the bl**dy name of everything that wears a mustache!?

DSCF0004_zpsc8d2a6c5.jpg

Eeerrrmmm.....

DSCF0005_zps4c5ec501.jpg

Can I change and go with Peterson's P-38 instead? :lol: Crickey, she's huge! :shock:

Btw, for interior it says, 'Fern Green', what is that!?

Cheers, will do!

The internal colour Jan was officially called 'Foliage Green'. ..............I took this to mean a sort of green zinc chromate that I made from Humbrol #78 Cockpit Green with a touch or two of yellow. The closest one can get to it in the FS range is FS34096 which depicts the colour as faded.

As for removing the anchor rope, I used the Dremel and a lot of blade scraping, then replaces it with real woven wire.

and yes mate, she is a big bug*er.

Jan,

I may not have plans but have lots of pictures of scaffolding. I will have to look. I thought I provided a lot of these pictures for a pby in another group build :)

O.k. I know I posted this twice before, but here goes.
Note that at that point the RAAF was still using RAF style roundels and fin flash, something I found out while building the Kingfisher.
Good luck on this monster!

Jan: Again my apologies. For those of you who may have missed it, there were two threads that Jan started about this PBY. I tried to merge the two, but something went south, and both threads were deleted. I PM'd Jan, and he started anew.

Looks like a nice kit, Jan, just don't injure yourself with that X-acto knife

Charles

Jan, are you going to have her sitting on the gear like the photo with the scaffolding? Just askin.

No worries Mr. C! Must have been one of them double post thingmajigs! :lol: Try not to, close enough that one, too close! :lol:

Done a bit today, pics tomorrow, hopefully! :lol:

I would really like to see you do this one, fight that "modelisnonbosis" or whatever you called it. We got your back, brother!
Ooorah!, Arf,arf,arf...Jolly good, pip, pip, and away we go! (Or what ever you "swettish" individuals say!)

Jan, are you going to have her sitting on the gear like the photo with the scaffolding? Just askin.

She'll be sitting on her gear Bill, aye... Too young to do a water diorama just yet! :lol:

I would really like to see you do this one, fight that "modelisnonbosis" or whatever you called it. We got your back, brother!
Ooorah!, Arf,arf,arf...Jolly good, pip, pip, and away we go! (Or what ever you "swettish" individuals say!)

Cheers buddy! Appreciated as always! :thumbright:

Thought I had better clarify my earlier comments on the colours Jan. The Foliage Green was not quite as dark as FS34052 but with fading looked almost like FS34096.

Cat 5.jpg

The second set of colours are true to form to the RAAF colours at the time. One hopes our monitors are not going to mess them up…..

Cat 6.jpg

The other green I mentioned, chromate green was for the inside paintwork.

Have also drummed up a couple of pics for you of like aircraft from the early deliveries to 11 Sqn. As you can read from the profile pic, it is a sister ship to the one you are doing.

Cat 3.jpg

Cat 1.jpg

Cat 2.jpg

The last camouflage detail pic will give you some idea as to how the upper surface was done. I'm thinking the one on the left would be similar to your build.

Cat 4.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back