1/48th scale Harrier GR 3.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airframes

Benevolens Magister
Aug 24, 2008
Cheshire, UK
BAe Harreir GR 3, RAF 1417 Flight, Belize. Airfix 1/48th, out of the box.
Well, the not-so-quick build is finally complete! Overall, it's not a bad kit, especially for the relatively low price by current standards. But, there are a number of areas which needed a lot of work and a number of parts which could have been, and should have been, a lot better in their form and moulding. For example, the UHf antennas were more rectangular blobs of plastic, and the IFF blade, moulded onto the fuselage, scales out at around the thickness of a house brick!
The model was built straight from the box, as a gift to a friend who served in Belize in the 1980's, in the Army, and always liked watching the Harriers at Airport Camp, Belize City Airport, and more so when they were supporting him and his comrades on the border with Guetemala!
As he has little interest or knowledge in aircraft other than this, I couldn't see the point of 'going to town' to correct all the little niggles. If I was to build this kit again, which I might for the Cold War GB, then I'd certainly make some major changes, especially around the cockpit, and the canopy in particular. As provided, the canopy can not be realistically posed in the fully open position, due to the shape of the lower frame which, on the real thing, has an extension at the rear end which forms the rear, upper coaming of the air intakes. Still, it doesn't look too bad, and the base was designed and made to give an impression of the camouflage - netted hides, rather than be a true representation.
Thanks for your interest.

Attachments

• Harrier 052.jpg
    Harrier 052.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 265
  • Harrier 054.jpg
    Harrier 054.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 278
  • Harrier 055.jpg
    Harrier 055.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 279
  • Harrier 060.jpg
    Harrier 060.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 273
  • Harrier 063.jpg
    Harrier 063.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 280
  • Harrier 074.jpg
    Harrier 074.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 277
  • Harrier 070.jpg
    Harrier 070.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 273
  • Harrier 068.jpg
    Harrier 068.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 321
  • Harrier 066.jpg
    Harrier 066.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 270
happy0034.gif

That's a nice looking plane Terry and a nice one to build. I have a FAA FRS Mk.1 sitting on the shelf that I built many years ago. Maybe I'll post it some day. Belize is also a place that I manage to wiggle out of being posted to in the late 60s.

Last edited:
Thanks very much for your kind comments guys, it's appreciated. The cammo netting was made from a piece of nylon gauze, the stuff used for veils when Judies get married, along with blobs of PVA and a few sprinkles of dried, mixed herbs. I couldn't find the tights......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back