1/48th scale Hurricane MkIIc, 136 Sqn, India, 1943.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I say well done that man. Top hole what?

Last edited:
It's always a pleasure to see the progress of one of your builds.....

Question: The walls of the wheel bays. You do use Super glue on the styrene sheet? Which do you use? And how do you get it to be so strong you can sand the tops of the the walls without breaking off while doing this?

I sure wish there was something stronger to use on styrene than super glue. Do we have any idea of the life of the super glue? I can just image a few years down the track all the bits falling off... bugger.

i know i'm not in the same league as the rest of you chaps but i've been using stiff card and bostick timebomb to fix any detailing work inside my kits,it takes a little longer than normal to dry but lasts a very long time,i hope this helps although i'm proberly telling you all something you know already,

Bob

Thanks all.
Bill, for this sort of work, depending on the surfaces, a 'glue' is not always a good thing. Super glue can be used for fixing in order to hold an item in place, but generally, I use a 'cement', as in poly cement (tube/liquid/ etc) to provide the chemical reaction bonding of the surfaces. Any 'glue', even 2-part epoxy etc can, by its very nature, break the bond at some time, whereas a cement has literally welded the parts. And of course, poly cement, in it's various forms. can be used in a controlled fashion, allowing a clean joint without blemishes, although may need minor clean-up when set.
As for sanding - it's a case of delicate 'finger feel' and experience!

The wing-tip nav lights and the leading edge landing lamps have now been filed and sanded to shape, and polishing is nearly complete. The glazing will have a coat of 'Future' once the model has been painted. The lamps look a bit cloudy in the pictures, which is mainly reflection off the residue of 'T Cut' used to polish them. This will disappear once polished further and coated.
Meanwhile, work continues on planning and measuring for the cockpit components. More soon.

Attachments

• BC Hurricane 035.jpg
    BC Hurricane 035.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 86
  • BC Hurricane 036.jpg
    BC Hurricane 036.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 79
Thanks Andy and Max. One of the landing lamps seems to have some dried 'T Cut' residue inside! I'm hoping I can wash it out without affecting the 'lens' of the lamp itself - b*gg*r !!

Some Nice work there Terry on the wh/wells and rad :thumbleft: Liking the lights also been awhile since I used that technique ;) Cheers

Thanks Kevin. The port landing lamp might be recovered - I'm waiting for it to dry to see if the remaining cloudiness is just condensation after washing. Meanwhile, I found a seat in the spares box which was an alternative part from the ICM P51C kit, which has been altered.
PICS 1 and 2 show the seat before and after alteration, although not polished yet and still dusty. The back was re-shaped, as were the side walls, and the walls thinned down, after removing that awkward ejector pin and some unwanted detail.
PIC 3 Shows the cockpit frame work under construction, utilising the kit bulkhead, with the armour plate added from plastic card, and the 'tubular' frames from 'Evergreen' rod. The slot for the seat harness has also been cut in the bulkhead, but there's still a lot of construction to follow!
More tomorrow, all being well!

Attachments

• BC Hurricane 041.jpg
    BC Hurricane 041.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 102
  • BC Hurricane 040.jpg
    BC Hurricane 040.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 106
  • BC Hurricane 043.jpg
    BC Hurricane 043.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 97
Looking very spiffy Terry. The transformation of the seat is nicely done. It will be intersting to see what little tidbits for levers ,gauges, and other gingerbread you add ot the frames.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back