1:570 HMS King George V - Unofficial GB.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Gentlemen, I present you the King George V....

It's as ready as I can get at the moment. The kit lacked decals, which should be there. One of those will make windows on the bridge. I emailed revell 3 weeks ago, but did not get an answer back from them, apart from a recieve-conformation. So at the moment we'll have to do without those decals.
Building this model was as much fun as I hoped it to be. I actually enjoyed it more than te Stuka's I did about 2 years ago. Building a ship just seems to be more interesting and as there are many little details, there is always something to do while you're waiting for some things to dry.
I did a couple of mistakes: I glued on the boatdeck before noticing that there should be pins on the inside to hold the cranes, so they could be movable. They are now glued fixed. I cut a part from the stern side of the deck, luckily I could fix this with "Wojtek's home made putty" :) And of course my stupid mistake with the screws. There are more minor mistakes and I wished I had the patience to really look at the manual before glueing anything on :lol:

Nothing major wrong, though, and learned quite a couple of tricks. Thanks for your support, guys, you're the best!
20150404_0003.jpg

20150404_0017.jpg

20150404_0023.jpg

20150404_0025.jpg

20150404_0027.jpg

20150404_0031.jpg

20150404_0033.jpg

20150404_0037.jpg

water effects are difficult, but google it, use some trial and error and you will make a good start. Says a guy whose done it exactly once.

Another thing to do, is actually go down to the ocean, and look at it from some height....like a cliff or a viewing platform.

Doing ocean effects is not easy, anyone who says otherwise is messing with your head. And the effect posted by CR is particularly hard to pull off convincingly without damaging the model. The only thing for it is to practice and learn, practice and learn, read up, find out what works and what does not. oh, and ask some of the gurus in this place (which aint me)

Amazing!
Well, I won't become a full time modeller like some of you guys and will not come even near mr Chris's time and abillity. I'll do the occasional model every couple of years.

Speaking of that: I see a couple of guys saying they would join this "groupbuild". 3 even started a year ago. Hope some of them wil start building and show this rooky how it is done by the pros.

Last edited:
I agree. I have 3 ships in the stash, all 1/350 and plan to start one after I finish off my backlog of aircraft. Having just finished my MkXII Spitfire, I still have 2 Mustangs and the Lighting to finish. I never had 4 kits on the go at once and don't plan to do that again.

So it's going to be either DKM Scharnhorst, DKM Graf Spee, or USS Princeton CVL-23

Well done Marcel.

Princeton was my first choice, but am thinking this will be a thread in the main build section seeing as though it is a good size with plent of parts to deal with.

so i will soon add in a Pre WWII IJN Kaga Aircraft Carrier and probably work on my Pre war Akagi in the background as well, as this is already started...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back