1:570 HMS King George V - Unofficial GB. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Well, at least you created a space for me to put this thread in. Woud like to see your finished build of that aircraft carier one time, but life gets in the way sometimes.

I have no idea about the rules in an 'unofficial group build'. Is there something I should do when finished?

Grrr, had a brain blackout, I guess. I glued the screws on the wrong side of their axles. Don't know why I did that because I should have glued them on when the axles were glued on the hull. Anyway, they are unusable now. Will have to order new ones, but I don't know if Revel will do a thing like that. I also have ordered the decals which were missing from the kit and they are not very responsive.

Ah I see. Would that be a good way to repair this? I'll have to cut off the axle from the screw, drill a new hole and attach the other side. Problem will be that I'll be missing 1 to 1.5 mm of the axle, which I'll have to extend somehow. At the moment I don't see how I can extend that axle in a good way.
image.jpg

The photo is pretty blurred, but my opinion would be to keep the prop, cut off the shaft and replace it completely, probably with some copper wire . Youll probably need to dril out the parts you want to keep using a pin vice and a lot of care. Getting the wire the right thickness will be fiddly as well. If youve got a micrometer it would be a lot easier, take the guesswork out of it.

This is a recoverable mistake.

Yes. Sorry about not elaborating. Wire or micro - tubing from Albion Alloys is one way to go. Heating and stretching a longish piece of the plating frame that the pieces came attached to is another way to go. That is stretching sprue over a candle flame say. Or just find some stiff wire or tubing around the house and use that. Point is don't beat yourself up. Totally fixable.

In my view, it doesn't need to be metal. You could also get some round plastic rod of the right diameter if you have access to a hobby shop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back