1/72 Academy A6M5, 221st Kokutai, 312th Hikotai, October 1944

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I was never a fan of the INJ aircraft (although the float planes are cool looking) but I look forward to your build. Maybe if I took the time to research and build one I might have a better appreciation for them.

I was never a fan of the INJ aircraft (although the float planes are cool looking) but I look forward to your build. Maybe if I took the time to research and build one I might have a better appreciation for them.

Now that's a good idea Dirk!!! I will start you thinking then.....fighter? Dive bomber?, Torpedo Plane?, Float Plane? Bomber? Interceptor (Raiden/Shiden-kai).....plenty of choices of battles too...Pearl Harbor, Coral Sea, Midway, Leyte Gulf, Homeland defence...:D

more work done folks...

zero_wip_enginecopy.jpg

the nakajima sakai twin engine assembly...

zero_wip_cowlingcopy.jpg

the engine cowling assembled...

this came as three piece assembly for the kit...

the outboard gun ports were also filled-in and sanded to depict the A6M5b armament version...

was also thinking of routing out those machine guns and replacing them with tubing...

Good work Glenn, a tip though..the interior Green for Zeroes was not metallic, in the image below upper colour Mitsubishi Cockpit Green and lower Nakajima Green.
The upper decking behind the cockpit was Upper fuselage colour for Mitsubishi and black for Nakajima A6M5 zeroes...hope this is of help. Info, Courtesy of Mr. Ryan Toews.

Attachments

• Cockpit Colour A6M5_Mitsubishi Top- Nakajima Lower.jpg
    Cockpit Colour A6M5_Mitsubishi Top- Nakajima Lower.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
Good work Glenn, a tip though..the interior Green for Zeroes was not metallic, in the image below upper colour Mitsubishi Cockpit Green and lower Nakajima Green.
The upper decking behind the cockpit was Upper fuselage colour for Mitsubishi and black for Nakajima A6M5 zeroes...hope this is of help. Info, Courtesy of Mr. Ryan Toews.

thanks wayne...

got me the ijn green and ijn grey gunze colors for this build too...though i'm wondering if the ijn grey is a tad dark?

hey wayne,

looking at the gunze color chart below, could you please confirm if the MR COLOR 15> IJN green (nakajima) and the MR COLOR 35> IJN grey (mitsubishi)...

or MR COLOR 124> dark green (mitsubishi) more applicable for this build?

or does it really matter, specially after i get to do the weathering on this bird?

colormap_gunze.jpg

Approximate FS colour values for A6M5's, again courtesy of Mr.Ryan Toews.

Mitsubishi Upper pair of colours.
Nakajima Lower pair of colours.

Now from looking at the Mr Colour chart I down loaded, Colour No70 Dark Green looks close on my monitor for upper surface and No.45 Sail colour lightened with white would seem a candidate for the lower colour.

Attachments

• A6M5 Approximate FS Values-Mitsubishi  Nakajima.jpg
    A6M5 Approximate FS Values-Mitsubishi Nakajima.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 162
thanks folks,

but would you have any reference on the IJN fonts used for this era? as i need to custom print these...

Nice work there. Don't know if you've tried it, but for sealing and blending-in the gaps around canopies, especially for small gaps and difficult areas, I use either Micro Kristal Klear, or PVA or, if it needs a bit more 'bulk', a mix of clear varnish and talcum powder. I find it's easier to run into the gaps and smooth out, and also avoids possible damage which could be caused by sanding later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back