1/72 Airfix Grumman J2F Duck WIP

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

thanx folks...

i wonder what proper USAAC/USN grey color should be appropriate fro this aircraft? as i find the prescribed neutral grey a tad dark...and if the vertical tail rudder colors are accurate or would the horizontal red and white stripes be more appropriate? hmmmm....

btw, the kit was a freebie from a local hobby shop, ergo the missing parts...

After pinning down the actual timeline for this duck, historical reference happens to state that a J2F-5 would be the appropriate version for this build, which were assigned in Cavite during the evacuation before the Japanese invaded the Philippine islands, given the fact that the J2F-6 would only come into service on 1941.

A top mounted intake scoop, created from styrene sheets needed to be incorporated and the front fuselage side blisters needed to be deleted.

I also wanted to show an open cockpit, so I decided to replace the sliding canopy for the pilot with a thinner version, made from recycled clear plastic sheet from an appliance packaging (a blow dryer came in handy for this process) as the original clear part is a tad thick.

duck_wip_cowlingintake_1.jpg

duck_wip_slidingcanopy_1.jpg

The canopy needed more attention...

duck_wip_canopyfilling.jpg

The cowling need to be shortened and the prop boss backdated for an earlier version for the dash-5 version...

duck_wip_cowlingintake_2.jpg

The front intake opening need to be filled and repositioned above the pontoon panel line and new louvers added...

duck_wip_pontoondetailing_1.jpg

Thanks folks, it's really been great researching this subject...

Which I hope would turn out ok...

It seems this is another build that's slipped by me. It's a great build, very detailed and I love the way you have recorded each move with good picture info. Good one mate, it's going to be a stunner

:hotsun: :hotsun:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back