1/72 Airfix Grumman J2F Duck WIP (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

wingnutz

Airman 1st Class
Apr 20, 2007
Singapore
Hey folks,

Here's my first dab into biplanes, and what a more fitting subject than one of the most venerable aircraft of WW2, the Grumman J2F Duck. The kit is a 1/72 scale Airfix release with raised panel lines and rivets, which will be sanded off and new recessed panel lines to be scribed.

DUCK.jpg

I will be depicting this in the late 1930s color scheme of the "Candy Clipper" used by the "Bamboo Fleet" in the last stand of the allied forces in the Philippine islands during WW2. This particular duck was salvaged from one of the wrecks after a bombing raid by the IJ forces and was extensively used to ferry supplies, medicine, personnel and refugees in and out of the besieged Bataan and Corregidor peninsula. The name being coined from the aircraft crew's constant supply of candies to keep up morale for the remaining allied forces left behind and trapped by the slowly advancing Japanese forces.

ducknameplate_01.jpg

duck_wip_boxart.jpg

duck_wip_01.jpg

duck_wip_02.jpg

aye sir...doing my homework on rigging now...

Great links on the rigging techniques.

Here's some pics of my J2F Duck that might help. :) That one needs to be cleaned I think and it looks like one of the radio wires popped loose but the rigging is solid. I think the wire gauge I used was a bit thick but it illustrates the rigging nicely anyway.

Attachments

• IMG_0340v2.JPG
    IMG_0340v2.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 453
  • IMG_0337v2.JPG
    IMG_0337v2.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 386
  • IMG_0336v2.JPG
    IMG_0336v2.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 405
  • IMG_0335v2.JPG
    IMG_0335v2.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 386
  • IMG_0334v2.JPG
    IMG_0334v2.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 459
Interesting stuff. Reminds me of that marvellous movie - was it 'Murphy's War', or something similar? Some fantastic flying sequences in that, I seem to remember.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back