1/72 F4U-1D1 VF-84, of the USS Bunker Hill (CV-17) Feb 1945 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

TitalPagecopy.jpg

I know it's been awhile but like with most of us time is tight these days. Well we are heading into the final stretch for this build.

As I was looking over this "El-Cheap-O" Testors POS, I found that one thing (One of many) I couldn't stand was the lack of detail in the wheel wells. After seeing another 1/72 F4 Build I I knew I could dress it up just a bit to make it not so... *Caca*

F4U001.jpg

Using some 0.8mm styrene square stock I cut out some ribs and bent them to the approximate angle of the wheel well.

F4U002.jpg

After I put the ribs into place using tweesers (My years of playing operation paid off) I re-applied the zinc Chromate paint

F4U003.jpg

F4U004.jpg

Next the wash

F4U005.jpg

The next step was to finish the weathering of our bird. For this I broke out the oil paints and used an old CD case as my palette.

F4U007.jpg

After a few minutes my Corsair looked like a flock of Skittle eating birds few over and used it for target practice.

F4U008.jpg

Next I took a clean flat brush, and dipped it in some thinner, and started to blend the paint.

F4U009.jpg

Next using more thinners and a clean cloth I removed the excess paint till the desired affect was achieved. The good thing about oil paints is it drys slow so if you don't like what you see you can wash it all off and start over.

F4U010.jpg

If you look at this next picture you will notice that the inside of the wings are more worn then the outside.

F4U011.jpg

On this one you will see that the inside of the wings are less worn then the out side. This would be common for aircraft parked in the elements with the wings folded.

F4U012.jpg

Next I applied all the odds and ends like the landing gear, wheels, rockets and so forth. The last thing that needs to be added is the radio wire. That will have to wait till the glue on the areal dries sufficiently.

F4U014.jpg

F4U013.jpg

F4U016.jpg

F4U017.jpg

F4U018.jpg

F4U019.jpg

I will try to retake pictures in some natural light in the morning.

Thanks for looking

Users who are viewing this thread

Back