1/72 Matchbox Messerschmitt Bf110....GTI !

Discussion in 'Start to Finish Builds' started by Geedee, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Geedee

Geedee Well-Known Member

I know I'm going to regret this, but tomorrow eve (Tuesday), I'm going to start modelling again...errrr plastic modelling that is !. Like a lot of guy's, I havent built a plastic kit since the film Kelly's Heroes was on the big screen, and I modded a Tamiya M4 Sherman into Oddballs mount !

This will be a OOB jobbie, but I'm going to kave some fun and hope it works out. Its not going to be super detailed on account of I dont have the skill to do what you guys do and my eyesight aint what it used to be and I'm so vain, I dont want to wear glasses....yet.

It will be a different build though, if I can pull it off, hence the 'GTI' on the title.

I'm going to have a go at building Oberleiutenant Baron Von Bernt Backvards prototype from 1943. Who he ? I'll tell you in a minute.

I'm really hoping I can get some of you guys to help build up a full squadron of some of the fantastic planes this guy developed. I've added a few details of his more famous or infamous models.

So far, I have the kit, a new shiny modelling knife with a spare blade, a 30year old bottle of Slaters MEKPAK (the original liquid glue and still perfectly useable) thats smells divine but can send you...tooo....sleeeep.....zzzzzzz, sorry, must use in a ventilated area, this dangerous stuff !. A new unsqueezed tube of model putty, and no paint....yet.

Roll on tomorrow night !

Attached Files:

2. Geedee

Geedee Well-Known Member

And heres the bit about the Baron....

Oberleiutenant Baron Von Bernt Backvards 1900 to date
    Raised in a small village called Berlin, Bernt was an only child of a poor blacksmith . His early toys, where a hoop and stick and he would play for hours on the back streets. Bernt had an investigative nature and would spend a lot of time figuring out ways to make things go faster.

For instance he found that his foray into making a go-kart / soapbox racer, was fundamentally flawed in it design and as a result was slow. After much trial and error, he discovered that pulling a go-kart resulted in wheelies if the ‘puller’ started too fast and was limited to the top speed of the same puller. Early attempts resulted in him running over his ‘puller’ and Bernt soon found himself all alone. Following a few nights hiding under the bedclothes with a candle and a small sandbox to draw in, that was easy to smooth the sand (Incidentally, this was the forerunner of the Etch-a-Sketch, but he didn’t know about patents at that time !) he hit on the solution. Things would go faster if they where pushed not pulled !

About this time he befriended a rather portly …ok, F*t dude…child of no apparent abode, called Raaalph. That wasn’t his real name, that was what everyone called him on account of his peculiar ‘smell. Raaalph and Bernt soon became inseparable and also so began a lifelong partnership that saw the two become unbeatable in almost everything they ventured into.

When Raaalph pushed Bernt at the next go-kart race, they decimated the opposition. Raaalph stepped step back twelve paces and then ran full tilt at the back of the go-kart and pushed. To Bernt, this was like getting hit by a runaway freight train….he pulled 2G off the start line and barely got control of his kart before racing past the finish line a good 7 lengths in front of his arch rival.

The dynamic duo funded their own way through school by using their winnings from the racing and one night out on the razz, they signed up to the Luftwaffe. The following morning, when sober, they realised that this was exactly the thing that they wanted to do.

Flight school was a breeze for the boys and gave them ample things to let their imagination run wild. On one memorable occasion, the actually managed to start a Focke-Wulf Fw 44 in reverse and spent 20 minutes cavorting round the airfield….in reverse…. using a mirror swiped from the Commandants 1928 Mercedes SSK (This was the black number that would have s significant influence on the two tearaways) to see where they where going. At one point, while traversing a raised lip high speed to the peritrack, they actually became airborne !. Unfortunately, they had made a fundamental error in starting the engine backwards as the propeller was designed to push air one way and not the other, so was not as efficient….and they forgot to turn it around !. This meant that the Steiglitz began to stall….but miraculously recovered when the tailplane lost lift, causing the plane to dive which increased its speed until the airflow was sufficient to allow the tailplane to gain some lift and they managed to recover without writing off themselves and the airframe.

This was an epiphany for Bernt and Raaalph. They had discovered that flying a plane backwards meant it couldn’t stall in the general sense and even if you left the controls alone, it would recover !. Bernt was so excited by this he could hardly contain his enthusiasm for trying the same stunt with other more powerful planes. He couldn’t wait for the next trial, telling every-one that it ‘can’ fly, even though difficult. His Squadron gave him the nickname ‘Canard’….can and hard !.

Rising through the ranks, Bernt and Raaalph greatly improved their source of income by dealing in the black market. This soon elevated them to almost royalty standard and they were soon posted to the ultra-secret test establishment known as the ‘Skint Works’ by a select few of the Luftwaffe’s higher echelon.

This most secret establishment was not directly funded, yet produced some of the most outstanding inventions that would be made during the squabble with the rest of the World in the late 1930’s for a few years. Bernt and Raaalph’s income, greatly assisted the establishment and the boys where given free-reign to do as they pleased.

His designs for aircraft became more and more futuristic. His pride and joy was the Messerschmidt Me 110 GTI. Essentially this was a 110 converted to fly backwards, by the simple expedient of swapping the main wings over, converting the tail wheel (which was now a nose wheel) with hydraulics so he could pump the oleo up and down for take offs (later used by jets…like the Phantom… on aircraft carriers). And he turned the tail plane around as well !. For armament he installed a 120mm smooth bore cannon facing forward and mounted internally.

This is quite a weapon and its weight upset the CoG of the 110 GTI, so he got around this by simply mounting the gun on rails…rail gun?...so it could be pulled backwards four feet using hydraulics to move the weight nearer the centre.

When in combat against the bombers, his attack profile was to climb above the enemy, slide the gun forward which would result in the GTI entering a dive, with engines running full tilt his GTI would fall faster than ten thousand bricks falling down a well !!!! With a lightning fast dive through the bomber stream, he would retract the gun to its normal transport ‘safe’ position and deploy his dive brake.

Due to constraints, his dive brake would open under the fuselage at the rear…he couldn’t mount one above as well because of the canopy (later versions included the ability to fold the rear canopy section under a metal panel, electronically, prior to activating the brakes), this had the unfortunate effect of forcing the GTI to ‘bunt’ forward at upto 8.0G + in an outside loop. This would force the main wings to bend upwards by approximately 9 feet each side so the GTI looked like a child’s balsa ‘chuck glider’. An added bonus of this was the GTI became very stable for a few seconds while Bernt and Raaalph (who was trying not to live upto his name!!!) where dizzy. This was an early use of variable geometry !

Other inventions included:-

An Me 262 with the engines mounted on top of the wings to reduce the likelihood of damage through FoD on take- off and landing, while giving greater ground clearance for use during soft ground ops from non prepared strips.

A Me 163 with a 4 foot diameter prop at the front attached through gears and a ‘dog clutch’ to 5 flywheels. The Walter rocket motor provided more than enough power to make the 163 almost untouchable and with the prop turning and storing kinetic energy in the flywheels, when the rocket fuel was spent, the pilot could re-engage the flywheels to provide at least 2 minutes of useable power during the tricky landing phase. Additionally, he modded the wingtips with small wheels and the ability to rotate the outermost 3 foot of wing vertically downwards 90 degrees to provide ‘outriggers during landing

All these planes were painted in the ’house’ colours of flat back. This was a spinoff from the Commandants SSK (also matt black…saved on polish which pleased his mechanic who was Polish !). Bernt however insisted that even the paintbrushes used should be black and the national insignia should be only the white bits but mixed 95 parts black to 5 parts grey, resulting in the first recorded use of ‘low viz’ markings, now used as standard on most military AC

Any body like to do the 262 or the 163 ?....in black....?

3. Airframes

Airframes Benevolens Magister

Retired
    I'm getting seriously concerned about the chemical content of a particular brewery's beer, named after a very famous WW2 British fighter aircraft!
    But this sounds very intriguing Gary .... I'll watch for a bit before deciding !

4. Wurger

Wurger Siggy Master
    Staff Member Administrator

A retired military Navigator/ATC, FIS controller
    Oh boy....these colours of styrene...typical for Matchbox kits. There is still a few of them in my stash. :) Not too complex models but very nice often. Good luck with the build. Let us know what you need.

BTW the half of the wing you are showing in the second image ,should be fixed to the starboard half of the fuselage. ;)

5. Geedee

Geedee Well-Known Member

Not this version it aint ! :)

6. Wurger

Wurger Siggy Master

Oh...so it will be the first Bf110 of the tail-first aircraft type. :lol:

7. T Bolt

T Bolt Well-Known Member

Bridge & Highway Construction Inspector
    This I've got to see! :crazyeyes:

8. GrauGeist

GrauGeist Well-Known Member

Public Safety Automotive Technician
    Home Page:
    Quick...put the lid back on and open a window! :lol:

Interesting story and interesting project!

9. Crimea_River

Crimea_River Well-Known Member

Gary, ever thought what you might want to do when you grow up? :lol: Stay away from the glue mate!

I Canard-ly wait to see your creation though.

10. Airframes

Retired
    I'd better not tell him about some of the interesting little explosive tricks that can be done with the good old MekPak!
    Been trying to find that stuff since I ran out years ago - great cement.

11. Wayne Little

Wayne Little Well-Known Member

Now....I think this is going to be interesting....maybe.....?:D:D

12. Wurger

Wurger Siggy Master

Concerning the glue.. just don't smoke when using that.:lol:

13. Njaco

Njaco The Pop-Tart Whisperer
    Staff Member Moderator

Animal Control Officer
    Ok I'm in!!! I have a 1/48 Me 163 around here along with numerous parts and kits that I can scrounge.

Any layout plans?

14. Geedee

Geedee Well-Known Member

#14 Geedee, Jan 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
    Good man

Unfortunately, little remains of the plans for these exceptional aircraft, so I suppose you'll just have to 'wing it' !.

I did find out that when Bernt and Raaalph did the mod to the 163, they simply drew a line at right angles to the leading edge and made that the 'hinge' plane. This was not as daft as it sounds as the increased drag from the dropped 'winglets' acted as a very crude but efficient air brake resulting in a slower approach, and when firmly on the ground, the angle the outrigger wheels where at, compared to the main skid, acted as a brake as well !.

Initial tests on the concrete runway proved very expensive in re-treads, so all further flights where conducted from the grass strip, but this also brought problems in landing.

After a few 'brown trouser' moments, a simple sort of arrestor hook was installed to 'snag a wire hung between two posts (the goal posts on the rugby field). This wire was attached to a farm roller...normally pulled behind a tractor... that not only slowed the slippery 163 down but also covered any tracks made by the landing skid / wheels, thus helping to hide the fact that the 163 had indeed flown !.

The 163 was flown for a further three test flights by an aged civilian company test pilot called Paul Vaulter using this form of landing aparatus resulting in the original 'Jerry Hat Trick'.

Right enough !...on with the build !

15. Matt308

Matt308 Glock Perfection
    Staff Member Moderator

Engineer
    Lordy this outta be good. :drinking:

16. Geedee

Geedee Well-Known Member

#16 Geedee, Jan 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
    Okeydokey. Stopped for the evening.

Initial thoughts are this a nice little kit, the parts (or the few I've cut from the sprue) fit togetehr quite nicely. Can't see any huge gaps or twisting. This has been confirmed by the few bits I've trimmed and glued together so far. Detailing looks about right for this scale with no horrendous rivet patterns either. Its not a complex one either which is a good thing for me !

Progress has now stopped at the fuselage glued together, the four wing sections are now two and the foreplane (tail feathers ) are 'sorted. I'm not planning on super detailing the internals for this one as I dont have the skill or eyesight, so its a quick lick of paint. No pilots will be harmed in this build !

I can see that I'm going to have my work cut out filling and re-profilling the wing root area. I'm not sure yet if I can file down the original moulding or try and form it into the wing leading edge. This will have to wait until I've got some more kit building tools...file, fine grade sandpaper etc etc...that I'm hoping to get tomorrow.

And yes, I know I'm back into modelling...allready got a gluey fingetprint on the top of one of the wings....grrrrrrrr :evil:

Before you all groan in horror, I should point out that in the 'assembled' shots, the GTI has not been all glued together ! The wings and foreplane are placed but not glued. this will happen over the next few days.

Attached Files:

17. Wurger

Wurger Siggy Master

18. Airframes

Retired
    Er .... interesting!
    Would the rudders, or what were rudders, not be on the trailing edge of the ... whatever that canard thingy is now called?

19. Airframes

Retired
    Er .... interesting!
    Would the rudders, or what were rudders, not be on the trailing edge of the ... whatever that canard thingy is now called?

20. Crimea_River

Crimea_River Well-Known Member

You been sniffing Gary's glue Terry? They are mate!