1/72 Savoia-Marchetti S.55X - Seaplanes / Floatplanes of WWII (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Request for help #1

When I bought the kit, one of the "floats" had the bottom glued on to it already. What is the best way to remove the bottom from the float/fuselage? Hack away at it with an Xacto, or is there a more elegant solution?

Thanks, Jim

I like the Link Jim alittle more detailed than just shove it under that blow torch there.As far as the float goes if it's superglue alittle prying should should get you there once you get a crack and run a stiff blade but if its plastic cement the back side of the xacto blade scoring the plastic or a saw blade.

Jim, Super glue can be removed in a number of ways. Locktite makes a Super Glue Remover (always keep some on hand for dribbles on your clothes), Nail polish remover works but be careful. The Acetone is diluted but it is still present. And lastly Super Glue become very brittle when cold. Put your part in the freezer for an hour or so. should make getting it apart much easier.
Now if is not superglued and the glue used is a plastic solvent type your problems multiply as the plastic is essentially welded together.

Jim , please, post a couple of pics if you can. Without them it is quite difficult to say which way is better. But Mike's suggestions are OK for me.

Vic, if it is indeed a styrene cement then the parts are welded together. The cement disolves the plastic and when the two pieces are put together the liquefied edges "flow" together and re-harden as the solvents evaporate. I know of nothing that can reverse this process. You will need to cut/saw the pieces apart then re-glue

I figured... Here they are anyway:

20140512_200224.jpg

20140512_200256.jpg

And my laptop just died. Thank goodness for smartphones!

Last edited:
I really think I could do a cleaner job. But I guess it could be left and filled and sanded... Nah... I gotta rip it apart. You understand that it came to me like that. I didn't glue that.

Vic,

I agree with Kevin it does look like regular plastic cement. The assembling of the part looks good. So why the removal?
However if you insist on ripping it apart you may try to use a razor blade for cutting along the seams. But how deep the cutting has to be.. I need to see images of the pieces of the not glued together one.
But I would take into consideration leaving it alone though. Just some of sanding with a fine sandpaper. It should be enough.

Since I have to drill holes in the bow and stern of both pontoons for gunners, I guess I just figured it would be easier to work with from both the inside and the outside.

I will add pictures of the un-assembled pontoon for comparision sake tonight my friend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back