1/72 T-6G Texan - OOB (Out of Box) unofficial GB-2015.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

One year late but done at long last. Building this reminded me about why I switched over to 1/48 scale. I'm still not overly happy about the results.
100_1563.JPG
100_1570.JPG
100_1571.JPG
100_1572.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks guys. For some reason, the canopy didn't want to fit even though it came from the kit. I might remove and re-attach it later. It was glued on using Crafter's Pick. I brushed Future on the inside of the canopy and then on each panel after it was attached. I still have the original formula Future for doing canopies. The one thing that I was really pleased with had to be the landing lights. All I had to do was install them without doing anything extra to make them look good. The wing walks were made from clear decal sheet painted with a permanent marker and sealed with gloss coat before cutting and installing. Now I'm thinking about doing an SK-16 of the Swedish Air Force. They operated their planes without door covers.

Last edited:
Love the sound of the SK-16 Larry. Let me know if you need Swedish markings!
The Airfix kit has the marking for an SK-16 as well as markings for an Austrian Air Force machine plus a South African Texan. If I build the South African plane I will have to create gear doors for it.

Cheers - that's good to know! Markings used to be for one or two RAF birds only (I remember FT375 being one option, other 'G' I think. Decals in Ireland so can't check at minute)

I'd be keen to do a Swedish and Austrian example some time...

Cheers - that's good to know! Markings used to be for one or two RAF birds only (I remember FT375 being one option, other 'G' I think. Decals in Ireland so can't check at minute)

I'd be keen to do a Swedish and Austrian example some time...
I have an Airfix Harvard in 1/72 scale with RAF markings. It is from before the Heller kit. It is only a little more advanced that the Hawk/Testors kit. I plan on building it out of box as well.

If I get the time, in between commission builds, I have around five trainers to do, all jets at the moment, although I hope to get a Chipmunk, Tiger Moth and maybe a Tucano, all in 1/48th scale, as are the ones listed below.

Vampire T.11
Gnat T.1
Jet Provost T.5
Hunter T.7 (conversion from F.6)
Hawk T.1

As it's looking like there won't be an 'official' Trainers GB, this would be a good place to put them.

Yep, lots of trainers to do myself. Maybe we shouldn't hijack Larry's thread though, but put them on an open end 'unofficial GB' one.
It's O K with me if this thread is hijacked. It could be sort of an unofficial build thread or we can create another if needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back