1/72 Vickers Virginia x - From WW1 to WW2 GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Think you hit the nail on the head, the cutting out without the blade running away from you. Looks like you are off to a good start Bob.

yes Vic spot on,plus the plastic used is hard and brittle which makes it hard to work with, but once cut out to shape and assembled makes up into a very strong structure

it depends on the size of the kit,i use super glue on the seams to hold it into shape and then poly glue it after the super glue has dried,then i use filler to get rid of the seam,on something like this i drop a card dash floor and dash into the cockpit and then a rear bulkhead to mount the seats on,this will stiffen the weak front section,the wings are done in a similer way but i add filler where i plan to mount any parts [wings/undercarriage etc/ as this gives a strong point to mount to,on a large kit you can add bulkheads as per the real aircraft to stop any twisting,hope that helps

bob7351.jpg

bob7352.jpg

bob7353.jpg

last nights progress with some cockpit detail being added and a base coat around the front area to see where any marks were showing after all the sanding,loads to do to get this right

Yes, it does. I have always been scared of the "vac" idea, but intrigued by the wider variety of subjects available. Saw a build of a C-131(?), years ago in a magazine where the builder used insulating foam in a can to fill the fuselage. Card bulkheads seem more sane.

its nothing to be frightened of doing a vac it just different with a lot more prep work than injection,Charles with his balsa kits are harder to do right than these,the plastic quality is not that good but once assembled makes for a strong replica,also some of the kits available will fill some subjects missing from your collection overlooked by the main kit makers, as vac tend to do short runs of rare subjects

why not give one a go Charles,you could do one quite easily with your balsa skills,not much different only the materials used plus no weight problems to solve

why not give one a go Charles,you could do one quite easily with your balsa skills,not much different only the materials used plus no weight problems to solve

Don't think so... I've only built one scale plastic model (a Japanese Rufe), and I think scale plastic is better left to those who can build them.

Charles

thanks for you interest chaps,Wojtek do you have anything in your vast library on these beasts as i've a few details that are not clear on the line drawings/pics i've found on the net

Users who are viewing this thread

Back