I am an owner of snakes (okay at the moment I only own one, but I used to own several including a 10 ft Burmese).
1. Just because you have a snake in the house does not make you stupid. I am not stupid...
2. You have to take precautions, such as proper locks on the enclosures or doors that a snake can not open such as sliding doors.
3. Never let a child who can not handle a snake get near such a snake. Only small snakes should be handled by children (i.e. corn snakes, garter snakes, etc...)
4. Learn the way it behaves and you will be fine.
5. Take precautions as they said, and you will be fine.
I for one have owned snakes for almost 15 years (including a 10 footer as I stated above). I have never been attacked, never been bitten, never had a guest in my house bitten or attacked.
So please don't judge people that have snakes (even those with children) as stupid. Me and my wife are having children next year and we will not get rid our snake, in fact we are getting more snakes. A room in our house will dedicated to having as many as 20 different snakes in separate enclosures.
Guess what? Me and my wife are not stupid!
Now having said that, I feel sorry for what happened to this girl and family. It is a tragedy. This was probably avoidable with the precautions I said above. I also believe the snake was not held in a proper enclosure and not kept humanely (just my guess, it is a bit hard to keep a 12 foot snake in a humane enclosure, unless you have a bit of money). More than likely the snake was not fed properly either, which could explain why it went after the young girl.
Snakes are very misunderstood creatures. They are not evil, they are not out to attack humans or hurt them.
Here is a pic of my beautiful Ball Python that I have the moment. My wife used to be scared of snakes until we got her. Now she can take her out and feed her and everything. She too believes they are beautiful creatures now.
The worst part is that people don't realize how they kill. They don't just squeeze to death. They wrap up and wait for you to exhale, then constrict so you can't inhale. Scary.
No they don't! They crush you, they do not wait for you to exhale and strangle you. They crush you, and normally the prey is dead in less than a minute!