12ft (3.7m) python kills toddler

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

"Do you really think that snakes are the only pets that have harmed people? 4.7 million Americans are harmed by dogs? Should we stop having dogs as pets????! "

I'm sure most of those people were harmed by fighting dogs (like the Pitbull).

Go and read the statistics, only 50% were harmed by fighting dogs.

IMHO(WIR) regardless of what pet you want to keep, use some dam fricken common sense!

Unless the snake was a master picking locks or could use a blow torch, the owner was careless to some degree.

Agreed, that is what I am saying. If you take the proper precautions, nothing is going to happen. 15 years and nothing has ever happened to me or my family when it came to snakes.

I am a former snake owner. I had a Red-tailed Columbian Boa. It was the most docile animal on the planet, until it became hungry or agitated by strangers. In time, it became too large for me to keep, and I donated it to the San Diego Zoo. As long as I had it, it never attacked myself or anyone else, I kept it well fed and in a stress-free environment.

I think that having children bears additional responsability, no matter what you might have in the home...dogs, snakes, weapons, swimming pools, vehicles, etc...

Not too long ago, while a mother stepped into the other room, her child choked on Fruit Loops. So again, the responsability falls on the parents to make sure the child is in a safe environment. I don't think it would be fair nor logical to attack the makers of Fruit Loops and have them banned or restricted all because the parent was negligent which created a tragic situation.

Very good post.

Gaugreist, you are missing the point.

You have a large snake in the same home as children, you take precautions to make sure both are secure.

This has nothing too do with cherrios.

Its about a dangerous snake who will do what it is genetically programmed to do.

And why did it happen? Because precautions were probably not taken! It is not the snakes fault, but rather the owner.

from the story...

Looks like you already have "mega sized snakes" in the wild.

If anything, this guys stupidity is shown by the fact that he didn't have proper caging forthe animal, and I suspect, may not have been feeding it enough.
Most wild animals don't kill for pleasure.

I agree with you Sys, if you have kids in the house, you should take precautions, but millions of dog owners all over the world don't, and one snake owner obviously didn't.

Another rational post, from a rational person.

And if a snake even for a moment gets the idea that it can eat you for lunch, then it wont hesitate to give it a try. It's simply the nature of reptiles.

Only if it is hungry. Snakes do not go around killing for the fun of it. If you keep them in a proper enclosure and feed them properly, you can handle them all day long without fear of being bitten or "eaten".

Last edited:
A gun won't fetch your slippers or love you either, but I suspect that you don't think that they should be outlawed., or only permitted in childless homes. Despite the fact that they are involved in the UNINTENTIONAL deaths of far more children than dogs or big snakes combined
You have a point (and you're right, I don't think they should be outlawed)
but guns don't proactively recognise a weakness in their cabinet design, break out and go looking for kids to shoot. That's the difference here, keep a gun out of harm's way, it'll stay out of the way, a snake likely won't be so inclined.

Most wild animals don't kill for pleasure
You said it, wild animals
No, they kill to eat but I think that's little comfort to anyone who's just had a child killed by a wild animal that was offered the convenience of living in the same house as its prey.

I think it's significant that if someone forgets to feed them, they consider humans as a viable alternative. If I forget to feed Tiddles the cat I don't have to worry about being woken in the middle of the night with his jaws clamped around my neck.

I read the entire thread and I can see that there is some level headed thinking here... I personally would not own a snake large enough to get a hold of my infant clild and cause any sort of serious harm like the above story.... Suitable enclosure, locked up etc etc is a great way to keep ur family safe, but accidents happen in every way shape and form, as many members have already pointed out...

As quoted from the original news report:
Darnell did not have a permit to keep the snake as a pet. According to snake expert Scott Hardin of the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, Burmese python owners must have a license to keep the snake as a pet. The license costs $100 a year and mandates specific caging requirements.

Hardin said the Burmese python is a popular pet because it is considered to be more docile than other snakes. He said the risk of a human attack is low, and attacks typically involve the snake's owner or immediate family.

said Harrison, who added that stabbing a python would not force the animal to release its prey. Harrison suggested throwing alcohol down the snake's throat or running hot water over it to get it to release its prey.

I thoughoughly believe the guy who owned this snake, and his live-in girlfriend, should be held criminally responsible for the death and charged... Being ignorant is not an excuse for ANYTHING, let alone letting ur carniverous reptile escape its enclosure and kill ur kid....

Also, one of the links brings this story alot closer to home for me:
Man Arrested For Walking On Highway With 14-Foot Snake
POSTED: Wednesday, January 16, 2008
MASTIC, N.Y. -- A man was was arrested for walking on a highway with a 14-foot python wrapped around his body, police said.

Police in Long Island's Suffolk County said 35-year-old Curtis Dewberry of Wading River was spotted by an officer for the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals while out strolling Tuesday. The officer called police because the python is considered a danger to the public.

Dewberry was charged with animal cruelty and failure to protect the public against dangerous wildlife.

He was being held Wednesday and didn't have a lawyer.

"I thoughoughly believe the guy who owned this snake, and his live-in girlfriend, should be held criminally responsible for the death and charged... Being ignorant is not an excuse for ANYTHING, let alone letting ur carniverous reptile escape its enclosure and kill ur kid...."

I agree 100%.

You have a point (and you're right, I don't think they should be outlawed)
but guns don't proactively recognise a weakness in their cabinet design, break out and go looking for kids to shoot. That's the difference here, keep a gun out of harm's way, it'll stay out of the way, a snake likely won't be so inclined.

Why do you keep saying "go looking for kids"? Snakes do not do this either!

You said it, wild animals
No, they kill to eat but I think that's little comfort to anyone who's just had a child killed by a wild animal that was offered the convenience of living in the same house as its prey.

I think it's significant that if someone forgets to feed them, they consider humans as a viable alternative. If I forget to feed Tiddles the cat I don't have to worry about being woken in the middle of the night with his jaws clamped around my neck.

That is still not a reason to not have snakes as pets. In fact I have not seen a viable reason not. If one is responsible, they are not a problem at all.

Last edited:
As to the label, slow down, Kemosabe! I never meant to imply that you, or anybody else was stoopid for having snakes as pets. My point was that it must be assumed that anything that can be dangerous will be dangerous. When my daughter was born, I took steps to secure my firearms because I was being a smart parent. This particular person did NOT take steps,a nd therefore was a STOOPID parent. I was not attacking snake owners in general, but this particular snake owner. Sorry for any confusion.

Last edited:
I just came back from my boys' golfing lesson.... One of the waitresses up there was talking about how the python ate the baby.... I had to correct her as to what really happened.....

Im not exactly sure, but I dont think an 8 foot Python could swallow a baby... Now a 14 footer, yea, serious trouble....

I just came back from my boys' golfing lesson.... One of the waitresses up there was talking about how the python ate the baby.... I had to correct her as to what really happened.....

Im not exactly sure, but I dont think an 8 foot Python could swallow a baby... Now a 14 footer, yea, serious trouble....

It might surprise you just how wide a snake can get it's jaws. They literally unhinge at the joint of upper and lower jaws.

I think you've misconstrued the intent of my post. If you look back thru the thread you'll see that I have defended the responsible ownership of big snakes. It was the 'rope and quilt' thing that led me to call the guy a dangerous moron.

JL

We have snakes. But not big ones as I believe it's not smart to have these with little kids like mine. Accidents always tends to happen and why live on the edge? Ours are nice little garter snakes. Actually quite silly creatures. A goldfish has a better memory then these snakes :lol:
BTW they also tend to turn on their owner. If you've worked in the garden, they think you smell like worm, so they'll try and eat you. Usually not the best idea they could have as they hardly penetrate the skin :lol:
BTW Chris, very good looking snake!

We have snakes. But not big ones as I believe it's not smart to have these with little kids like mine. Accidents always tends to happen and why live on the edge? Ours are nice little garter snakes. Actually quite silly creatures. A goldfish has a better memory then these snakes :lol:
BTW they also tend to turn on their owner. If you've worked in the garden, they think you smell like worm, so they'll try and eat you. Usually not the best idea they could have as they hardly penetrate the skin :lol:
BTW Chris, very good looking snake!
I have no problem with owning a Garter snake.:)

Why did I wait so long to check this thread? Should have backed up Chris sooner! :)

5. Take precautions as they said, and you will be fine.

This is the KEY point! He said the snake had gotten loose as early as Wednesday! This idiot should never have owned a snake. No permit and obvious improper care of an exotic, dangerous animal. Its not so much the point that nobody should own them as much as do you KNOW how to own them. I would say after 30 years of meeting and dealing with people who own these types of snakes and any other type of potentially dangerous animal that 8 out 10 don't know what the hell they are doing. Kinda like owning a Ferrari auto. Just because it can go 250 mph doesn't mean you drive it at 250mph. You must take extra care with all that power.

And the first fundamental that must be understood is that it is a wild animal. Period. It will not become domesticated. It may seem that way only because it has adapted to your enviornment but it can still be dangerous. This snake was only doing what God intended it to do, God just forgot to give the dope who claimed him a few more brain cells to use.

Colin...I can't see why it could be construed as irresponsible, I played football with our dogs, wrestled with our dogs, playing wargames and took our dogs prisoner and invariably ended up sleeping in a big heap with our dogs, none of them ever tried to harm me.

I usually hear that as the dog takes a chunk of my leg! :) In most cases it won't bite you if it considers you the Alpha member of its "pack". But again, there are idiots that own dogs. EDIT: Don't mean this as a putdown for you, Collin. I was referncing the majority of owners who get in trouble. Sorry.

The pit bull. Great dog. Calm demeanor and very loyal. Strongest jaws in the canine world. But because it has become a status symbol within a certain culture and through that, abused and misrepresented, the reputation grows. And these irresponsible, back yard breeders continue the myth and trouble, breeding geneictally inferior animals who then cause problems later. Add in the stupid owners who think its "cool" to have a 'pittbuhll' only as an accessory and you have major problems throughout the country. Walk into any animal shelter, especially near a major city and I guarantee that 25 to 75% of the animals are pits. Not UKC bloodlines but a mix-mash of ill-tempered and wasted canines who someone once thought was "cool".

some stats on bites:

1994 - #1 biting dog in California: the Cocker Spaniel
The Dalmation once held that spot, also.
Dogs that cause the most deaths - #1 the Rottweiller followed by pits and then German Shepherds.

I cover 327 square miles with around 270,000 population. In a week's time, every week, I handle 2 - 3 dog bites. That means investigating injuries and sometimes deaths (not human so far but several other animals) caused by dogs. Thats just me in a department of 10 officers who also handle a like work load. Almost each and every time its someone who is careless and lazy owning a dangerous dog. And everyone suffers. Its a big problem.

Around 25% of hospital emergency room visits are for animal bites. About 75% of a police officers calls that are not directly Police related involve animals. And there have been too many times to count that I have had an animal suffer, either through injury or court-ordered euthansia, because of irresponsible owners.

I've said enough. It doesn't matter what pet someone has. You have to look at the other end of the leash to get an idea.

Last edited:
Why did I wait so long to check this thread? Should have backed up Chris sooner! :)

This is the KEY point! He said the snake had gotten loose as early as Wednesday! This idiot should never have owned a snake. No permit and obvious improper care of an exotic, dangerous animal. Its not so much the point that nobody should own them as much as do you KNOW how to own them. I would say after 30 years of meeting and dealing with people who own these types of snakes and any other type of potentially dangerous animal that 8 out 10 don't know what the hell they are doing. Kinda like owning a Ferrari auto. Just because it can go 250 mph doesn't mean you drive it at 250mph. You must take extra care with all that power.

And the first fundamental that must be understood is that it is a wild animal. Period. It will not become domesticated. It may seem that way only because it has adapted to your enviornment but it can still be dangerous. This snake was only doing what God intended it to do, God just forgot to give the dope who claimed him a few more brain cells to use.

I usually hear that as the dog takes a chunk of my leg! :) In most cases it won't bite you if it considers you the Alpha member of its "pack". But again, there are idiots that own dogs. EDIT: Don't mean this as a putdown for you, Collin. I was referncing the majority of owners who get in trouble. Sorry.

The pit bull. Great dog. Calm demeanor and very loyal. Strongest jaws in the canine world. But because it has become a status symbol within a certain culture and through that, abused and misrepresented, the reputation grows. And these irresponsible, back yard breeders continue the myth and trouble, breeding geneictally inferior animals who then cause problems later. Add in the stupid owners who think its "cool" to have a 'pittbuhll' only as an accessory and you have major problems throughout the country. Walk into any animal shelter, especially near a major city and I guarantee that 25 to 75% of the animals are pits. Not UKC bloodlines but a mix-mash of ill-tempered and wasted canines who someone once thought was "cool".

some stats on bites:

1994 - #1 biting dog in California: the Cocker Spaniel
The Dalmation once held that spot, also.
Dogs that cause the most deaths - #1 the Rottweiller followed by pits and then German Shepherds.

I cover 327 square miles with around 270,000 population. In a week's time, every week, I handle 2 - 3 dog bites. That means investigating injuries and sometimes deaths (not human so far but several other animals) caused by dogs. Thats just me in a department of 10 officers who also handle a like work load. Almost each and every time its someone who is careless and lazy owning a dangerous dog. And everyone suffers. Its a big problem.

Around 25% of hospital emergency room visits are for animal bites. About 75% of a police officers calls that are not directly Police related involve animals. And there have been too many times to count that I have had an animal suffer, either through injury or court-ordered euthansia, because of irresponsible owners.

I've said enough. It doesn't matter what pet someone has. You have to look at the other end of the leash to get an idea.

Thanks for the post. A very rational one as well. When one just takes a step back and looks at the whole picture, one sees that having snakes is not a terribly difficult or dangerous thing to do. You just have to use some brains and some common sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back