174 Sqn Typhoon up-date, 1/32nd scale. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks very much guys. It certainly looks better in its fresh paintwork. The original model wasn't too bad - if the faded, filthy and slightly worn paintwork was ignored (!) - but it's now starting to look like I originally intended it to look. Once the rockets and rails are on, and the four-bladed prop, it should really look different!

The wheel wells have now had some detail added, and just need cleaning-up and painting, then it's time to move on to the engine, and add a little detail there.
PICS 1 and 2. The wheel bays have had some plastic strip and rod added to represent the main framework. This area, although the correct shape, is not totally accurate, as the bay walls were set back, with the external ribs visible. The only way to replicate this would have been to cut out the moulded walls before the model was constructed, but I wasn't aiming that far for detail in this area twenty-odd years ago, and it's a bit late now!
Fuse boxes and a check-list wallet have been made from scraps of plastic card, and the emergency CO2 bottle carved from a piece of sprue, with plastic rod, flattened at the end, forming the valve. Electrical and hydraulic lines have been added, using copper and lead wire. The staining visible is a combination of dry-brushed 'dust' added when the model was first built, and erosion of the old silver paint from the liquid poly cement and superglue used to fix the new additions. This will be cleaned-up, and the bays painted matt silver, and the details picked out in the relevant colours.
PIC 3. This shows the engine as provided in the kit, looking down into the area of the radiator and ducting. The kit part is actually a fairly good representation of the huge Napier 'Sabre', 24 cylinder engine, and only needs a couple of pipes and wires, plus the main engine bearers and a vertical cowling support to look more convincing. However, only the front screen of the radiator is provided, along with the central trunking, as the remainder would not be seen with the cowlings in place. I'm going to attempt to add the radiator outer wall, which will be fixed to the front screen, the black part visible immediately beneath the engine block, and curved around and down, over the trunking, which is the silver cylinder behind the screen. If this works (fingers crossed), then the relevant pipework and brackets will be added, with the main hose running up to the coolant tank, at the front of the engine, right behind the extreme front nose panel.
PIC 4 Shows the firewall bulkhead, which again is rather plain. A diagonal support for the engine bearer will be fitted here, made from plastic rod, and attached to a bracket on a second rod, below this, representing the main bearer, running from the bulkhead forward, to the bottom of the front casing on the engine. Some hoses, pipes and wiring will also be added here. Finally, the vertical main cowling support will be made from wire or stretched sprue, and fitted to a bracket on the exhaust manifold housing, at the point of the upper number 3 cylinder. That's the plan anyway, but I have a feeling it's going to be a bit like the gynaecologist who decorated his entrance hall through the letter box!
Oh, and of course the surrounding lip of the engine bay will be cleaned-up to remove the oversprayed paint!
I'll post another up-date soon, and thanks once more for your interest.

Attachments

• Bf109 and Tiffie 218.jpg
    Bf109 and Tiffie 218.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 64
  • Bf109 and Tiffie 219.jpg
    Bf109 and Tiffie 219.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 63
  • Bf109 and Tiffie 213.jpg
    Bf109 and Tiffie 213.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 67
  • Bf109 and Tiffie 214.jpg
    Bf109 and Tiffie 214.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 65
Thanks very much Glenn. It's getting harder to do these days as my hands and wrists get worse. Good job you couldn't hear the extensive new vocabulary invented during the assembly of some of these parts!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back