2014 Summer Forum Meet Up (1 Viewer)

Meet up?

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I'll see if I can't toss my hat in the ring...

Since I'm no longer working (thanks to an old gal and her Buick) I have a little bit more free time these days. It's taken me a while to be able to walk or sit for any length of time, but I am guessing that by next summer, I should be in fairly good shape to not only make the flight across, but be able to walk around and enjoy myself without feeling like I've just fell down a flight of stairs.

I'll see if I can't toss my hat in the ring...

Since I'm no longer working (thanks to an old gal and her Buick) I have a little bit more free time these days. It's taken me a while to be able to walk or sit for any length of time, but I am guessing that by next summer, I should be in fairly good shape to not only make the flight across, but be able to walk around and enjoy myself without feeling like I've just fell down a flight of stairs.

Great stuff David. And don't worry about mobility on the airfield - they have free wheelchairs for use, although it's 'First come, first served', especially on air show days. But if necessary, I can borrow one and bring it with me, tie it to the back of my electric mobility scooter, and tow you around !!

Please do David !
I'm hoping to get interest from members to meet-up at Duxford in September, for the BoB 75th Anniversary Air Show. I'll be there, along with my mate Mick and almost certainly Karl, and possibly Jan, and no doubt Gary and Tony (Geedee and Rocketeer) will be lurking around too. I've mentioned it to Wojtek, and, if memory serves, I think Andy (CR) might also be interested.
It would be great if as many members as possible could get together, preferably for a couple of days, so that we Brits can show you around the IWM Duxford, as it's too busy to do so properly during the air show weekends.

Yup I will be there

Well, next September is sounding tasty. I think I will mark that on my calendar in ink.

Heavily debating it. I was supposed to go to Germany with my Dad and Grandfather this past fall, but was unable to. Maybe see if I can make a detour, or start with you guys.

depends if UKIP get in power then you might have to take turns entering the country ! :lol:

Nah, I think our Canadian 'Dominionites', and our American cousins will be fine - not sure about the old Turnips though!
Looks like we might have a 'Squadron Turnout' for the BoB show at Duxford then - we'd better start stocking-up the bar for the camp site !!

Where would we foreigners fly into? Heathrow?

A Cursory glance at flights shows me $1200 round trip. Probably can do better though if I looked harder. This is based on an Air Canada flight which are nice to fly trans atlantic. Virgin, Lufthansa, British Air all around the same price. Talk about price fixing. Sheesh.

Not sure what the latest deals are, but there are a few options, some of which look reasonable, price wise.
Transatlantic flights into the UK (direct) are mainly into London Heathrow, Manchester, and sometimes Stanstead (the third 'London' airport) although there are others too.
The nearest to DX is Stanstead (roughly 30 minutes drive), with Heathrow next, then Manchester, the latter having scheduled Air Canada flights regularly, and being about 150 miles from DX by road. Heathrow to DX, although not as far as from Manchester, for example, can be a b*gg*r of a journey, the easiest way being to either hire a car, or get a Taxi (expensive !).
I live about 12 miles from Manchester airport, so I could pick you up if flight times work out, but I'll be travelling to DX on the Saturday morning (latest), leaving at approximately 09.30 hrs, as it takes over three hours to get there, not allowing for traffic delays etc.
Maybe have a word with Andy (Crimea River), to see what flights etc he's got ?
Be great if you - and many more - could get there for this event, possibly the most important commemorating the BoB, the first turning point in WW2 to that time, and a really major 'marker' in European history of the 20th Century, having involved so many, from so many countries, at the time.

Dave, it would be great if you could join us. There's a separate thread on the Duxford meet up.

I'm on AC850 Calgary to Heathrow arriving 9:35am Sept 17. From Heathrow, rail service will easily get you to Duxford. I've yet to get my rail passes as I'll actually be going to Royston, just west of the airfield. Not renting a car as I'm leery about driving on the "wrong side".

I booked with Aeroplan points but will still pay about $650 in charges so I can't really give you an indication of pricing.

I forgot about the rail link !
The nearest city is Cambridge, about 12 miles from DX, with Royston, where Andy's staying, being 8 miles from DX approximately. If you need help with train services, give me a shout and I'll check on some of the UK web-sites for times and offers etc.

Already looked Terry but thanks. The schedules didn't go out to September last I checked so will wait a month or two before finalizing that part. I'm wondering if there's a line running west of the one to Cambridge that picks up Royston as I'm thinking to fill in a day or two around Hendon and/or Salisbury Hall on my way back

Totalize, check for travel packages. I just looked into a trip to the Emerald Isle and its about $1000 US for a 7 night stay. Might be able get a good package,

Good idea - a 'UK Holiday' package might work out better overall.
Andy, I'll see what I can find out for you. There used to be a line that way, serving Bedford and Royston etc, so you might be in luck. I'll let you know what I find.
If no train, then there's very probably a coach (bus) service - slower, but a lot cheaper, with National Coach Lines for example.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back