A deviation from my rule: Tamiya A6M2 in 1:32

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

al49

Tech Sergeant
Dec 16, 2009
Milan, Italy
Yes, my rule, since I re-started doing model, was to do Italian airplanes only (or foreign machines used by Italian air-forces).

But a few weeks ago I didn't resisted the temptation to purchase the above Tamiya kit and a few days ago I started building it with the goal to replicate one of these birds.
decals Zero0002.jpg

As usual I started with the cockpit and I will post very soon some pictures of what I've done so far, but I have a problem and I hope someone will be able to help me.

I'm searching good pictures of the cockpit floor and side panels, I men something more then what is available on these books:
Warbird Zero.jpg

Aero Detail 7 Zero.jpg

Do you have any suggestion where to find something?

Many thanks and Merry Christmas to everybody
Alberto

Hi,
here some pictures of my progress on cockpit.

DSCN1695.JPG
DSCN1696.JPG
DSCN1697.JPG
DSCN1698.JPG
DSCN1699.JPG
DSCN1701.JPG

Still to be completed and weathered a bit.
Cheers
Alberto

Hello,
I did some progress on the Zero too.

The cockpit assembled and almost ready to fit inside the fuselage:
DSCN1710.JPG
DSCN1711.JPG
DSCN1712.JPG
DSCN1713.JPG
DSCN1714.JPG

and the landing gear area

DSCN1707.JPG
DSCN1708.JPG
DSCN1709.JPG

for the Aotake I used the Gunze Acqueous Hobby Color ref. H63 that seems to be quite OK but I have a question for the experts, which color/shade will you use to weather this color? May be a dark grey?

And a question, again for the experts in Japanese bird, which one will be the best color for the overall external surface?

Tamiya suggest HXF76, as shown also in their color instruction sheet
varianti0002.jpg

but I've seen many A6M2 models done in a much lighter color, for instance like this one
modello 3.jpg

What do you think?

Many thanks in advance for any suggestion

Alberto

Early Mitsubishi built A6M2 Zeroes were painted in an Olive Grey colour with a lighter 'Grey' variation on the fabric surfaces.

The XF-76 represents a slightly faded version of the original Olive grey colour, your zero most likely would not have faded to any real degree yet, so it would still have been the stronger Olive grey colour, glossy in appearance, which does not show up in many Zero images.

What paints will you be using?

Early Mitsubishi built A6M2 Zeroes were painted in an Olive Grey colour with a lighter 'Grey' variation on the fabric surfaces.

The XF-76 represents a slightly faded version of the original Olive grey colour, your zero most likely would not have faded to any real degree yet, so it would still have been the stronger Olive grey colour, glossy in appearance, which does not show up in many Zero images.

What paints will you be using?

Many thanks Wayne for your answer.

I have thought to two options for painting: either the above mentioned XF-76 or the Gunze H70 that seems to be a bit darker, may be adjusted to the gray for fabric surfaces; but if you have any suggestion on different paints (acrylic) I will be happy to consider them.
Alberto

Many thanks Wayne for your answer.

I have thought to two options for painting: either the above mentioned XF-76 or the Gunze H70 that seems to be a bit darker, may be adjusted to the gray for fabric surfaces; but if you have any suggestion on different paints (acrylic) I will be happy to consider them.
Alberto

Options to consider..

First : Metal surfaces Tamiya Paint XF-2 Flat White 100 parts, XF-8 Yellow 24 parts, XF-1 Black 11 Parts, XF-7 Red 2 Parts
Fabric Surfaces XF-19 Sky grey 105 parts, XF-49 Khaki 20 parts, XF-25 Lt. Sea Grey 15 parts, adding small portion of white to lighten....

Second : Metal surfaces XF-14 JA Grey 100 Parts, XF-49 Khaki 40 parts, XF-53 Neutral grey 3 parts, XF-2 White 2 parts, XF-7 Red 2 parts.
to lighten for scale colour it is necessary to add light green and some white amount not quoted.? havent tried this mix myself yet.
Fabric same as above

Gunze H70 and H336 hemp 50/50 also haven't tried this colour.

My Zero was done in first option but i did not lighten the colour as i wanted to see how it looked as is, next will be lightened slightly, more so the fabric colour than the metal colour.

Attachments

• 27_A6M2 Zero Okajima.JPG
    27_A6M2 Zero Okajima.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 732
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back