A Malta diorama....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
As these few pics put some ideas in my head, I thought that I'd ask....

DSC_0874_zpspx02dcde.jpg

DSC_0875_zpsunklcyti.jpg

DSC_0876_zpsidmgxrq2.jpg

DSC_0880_zpsjekxcbpw.jpg

DSC_0878_zpskisrixxk.jpg

.......and, what is it hanging underneath this Spitfire?

DSC_0877_zps5qa7pwea.jpg

Pic 1, would look good on its own, maybe add those guys in pic 4.
Pic 2 and 3, those scenes you could mix together...
Then, should one go with a blast pen like in pic 1 or pic 5?? Hmmmmm.....

Pic source: Malta Spitfire V's -1942, Their Colours and Markings by Brian Cauchi..

Oh, I put this thread here, as I didn't see a subforum for dioramas... ;) :lol:

Last edited:
Either of the blast pens would be a rather long job old chap, even if taking short cuts, but fairly simple to make.
PIC 1 appears to be a sand bag wall surrounding either a second, stone block wall, in that mellow Maltese stone, or rectangular, 4 gallon petrol cans, filled with sand.
PIC 5 is a double, spaced wall of stakes and 'wrinkly tin', filled with rubble and sand, not unlike similar structures found on Luftwaffe fields in France.
PIC 6 is a wall of sand-filled petrol cans, probably backed, on the outside, by either a sand and earth bank, or another 'wrinkly tin' fence.

The stone blocks and stacked petrol cans could be simulated from moulded 'sheets' of plaster, modelling clay or putty or similar, or from carved faomboard, as a 'face' for a thicker backing, and then dressed appropriately, whilst the 'wrinkly tin' pallisades could be made with model railway plastic sheet mouldings and rods from BBQ skewers, with a false top dressed with 'rubble'.
I made a typical Fighter Command blast pen, many years ago, with concrete and earth/grass banks, made from cardboard formers covered in scenic materials, and a inner wall of sand bags made by scribing and moulding scenic modelling clay for the smaller sand bagged areas, and carving foamboard for the main walls.. The finished article looked very authentic, but even with the 'short cuts' employed, it took a long time to do.

Much obliged for your input old boy, have a large snifter what...!
....also been thinking of some modelrailroad materials that can be used....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back