Academy 1/72 B-17E "Old 666" 43rd Bomb Group 1943

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi guys. Not much progress has been done on "Old 666" lately. By the time I get home I'm just to darn tired to do much of anything. That being said last night I was able to sit and install all the small fiddly windows (8 in all) throughout both fuselage halves. Next its time to modify and install some of the weapons. For some odd reason I decided I'm going to try and scratch build the 50 cals that Sgt George Kendrick the waist gunner had hanging on the fuselage walls near the Ball Turret as spares in case any of his waist guns jammed. He also had an additional 50 cal mounted through the floor just aft of the ball turret.

This is gonna be a lot of guns. Now I patiently await to see how you build them so I cna make one for my B-17.

This is gonna be a lot of guns. Now I patiently await to see how you build them so I cna make one for my B-17.

Because they will likely never be seen after I close the fuselage halves I'm not going to go wild. The plan is to go to the local Train shop who carries quite a bit of styrene and find something that closely matches the body of the 50 cal. then add something like stretched spree for the barrel. After that I'll just glue them the the wall.

For all the other guns I will be adding to this model they'll be from my 1/72 Academy B-17F model which I'm going to turn into an assembly ship. Assembly ships had their armament removed so I have plenty to work with.

Sounds like a good challenge and your Sgt George Kendrick seems like a man who didn't take chances……..

:hotsun: :hotsun:

From what I read he was the lone waist gunner. He didn't want anyone around his area where they would be "smacking butts" and getting in his way. The guy was a mad man :p. He had twin 50s in each of the windows, one through the floor and then two or four spares just in case any jammed.

From what I read he was the lone waist gunner. He didn't want anyone around his area where they would be "smacking butts" and getting in his way. The guy was a mad man :p. He had twin 50s in each of the windows, one through the floor and then two or four spares just in case any jammed.

A 'REAL' Rambo

:hotsun: :hotsun:

I've been doing some fiddly work, here and there ( ball turret, customizing the extra guns, painting the engines) but I have a sinking feeling I'm not going to get this done in time. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back