Airfix 1/72 Lockheed Hudson I - Quick start to finish build.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

s1chris

Staff Sergeant
Dec 10, 2011
England
So the only kit I have left in the stash to get building at the minute is this old Series 3 Airfix Lockheed Hudson I.

It's a pretty rough and ready kit and I'm not hoping for great results. Really it's just to practice some building again and to get back into painting and modelling after a few years out.

The decals have seen better days and I've no particular interest in the Hudson or Costal Command aircraft. So...
I'm going to build it as a 161(SD) Sq, N7221 MA-P. I'll make up the markings myself for this one and play around with different building and painting techniques.

Here it is courtesy of the IWM -

ROYAL AIR FORCE BOMBER COMMAND, 1942-1945.

I started last week so here's a few shots of what I've achieved so far. Nothing special just a build for fun so please don't kill me over accuracy or quality on this one

Attachments

• B5F5DD54-F017-4E7D-8C51-3D34159E563C.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 172
  • 6A5BA978-D582-4BEE-8AD1-163521526450.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 152
Cool. The main thing is that you are back building

Exactly, this was supposed to be just a quick bash the model kits and equipment back out of the attic whilst in lockdown, complete them and forget it back into the attic. But.. I ended up back on this site again and going balls deep into it

Nice one. I remember building a couple of these back in the 1960s . Back then, they were quite an advanced kit for the time !
Apparently, the SD Hudsons had a chute through the floor, used for dropping agents by parachute, but I haven't been able to find any details or pics.

I can imagine it was a good kit back then to be fair. The fit is awful though but probably related to the fact the kit was sat in somebody's attic or an old shop shelf for so long before my eBay purchase.

Yes I also did a bit of research on the SD Hudson's and have seen conflicting info on the chute. The picture in the IWM link of the actual aircraft doesn't appear to show one.
I also come across an old web page where the son of an SOE agent asked his father and from memory he didn't recall a chute.

One of the accounts I come across of N7221 records it landing in the Netherlands to drop off agents along with the words to a song ( I know crazy). So I'll go with no chute on this one, and it's easier

I agree. Pics of SOE Hudsons are rare, and those I've seen don't show any external evidence of a chute, which I'd expect, as it would be internal. I'm guessing it was from the floor (the roof of the bomb bay) to he floor in the aft fuselage, with an internal hatch, so not immediately visible from outside.
Probably not an ideal way to dispatch parachutists, especially if there was more than one on the same drop. Time taken to position on the chute, slide down and exit, and then the next jumper doing the same, would result in a very long separation distance between jumpers - not ideal in clandestine ops.
The chute has been mentioned, and I recall reading about it in the book "We Landed by Moonlight" (an excellent read), where, from memory, it was also mentioned that it was a cumbersome affair, disliked by the pilot ( presumably due to the above mentioned delays), and not often used. It seems most SOE Hudson ops involved landing, not para dropping, the latter being done mainly by the Halifax.

Good point Terry, I suppose there wouldn't be any visual evidence of the chute externally.

It would be hard to imagine why they wouldn't install one as I assume they're a fairly uncomplicated affair from what I've read about the ones installed into Whitley's in the early days (Op Colossus).

As i said. This build is just about playing around with new techniques.
So, this is new to me (don't know why I'd never thought it if it before ). PVA for clear parts

A good model to try it out on given the amount of windows it has. Splashed some on liberally to see what effect it has, how easy to remove, how strong etc.

Every day is a school day.

Attachments

• B07ECEDF-9FF1-4836-A601-C76F5ED208E0.jpeg
    57.2 KB · Views: 147
Good stuff Chris. I've made small windows using this brand. Once the model is buttoned up and painted, put some on a paint brush or toothpick and run it around the edges until a film is formed. Clean up with a wet finger or paper towel. You should be able to try it with what you are using

Nice tip thanks.

Well it would appear that I'm trying to make the windows given the amount of PVA ha ha.

Actually this is just me sticking the kit ones in. I always used trusty old Revell Contacta and had the associate problems with smudging it on the visible parts. It just never occurred to me to use PVA.

Good stuff Chris.
For side windows like those, I normally put the clear parts in place, and then run liquid cement around the edges (Tamiya Extra Thin, although other thin liquid cements will work just as well). The cement should flow around the rim by capilliary action, without infringing on the actual window. Once set, if required, a few spots of cement ( I use Revell Contacta in the nozzle bottles) at various key points can reinforce the joint if needed.
I do use OVA for most canopies thoug, and also apply a bead of PVA around the base of windscreens, to seal the joint and blend it in.
Going back to the para dropping, the Whitley employed a hole cut in the floor, with a 'funnel' around the cut edges. The Paras sat on the floor of the Whitley, and shuffled into position around the hatch, with up to four paras at the hatch. Dispatch was simply achieved by pushing off and dropping through the hole, although if push off was too 'enthusiastic', then the jumper could hit his face on the opposite side of the hatch, known as 'Ringing the Bell' !
The Halifax employed a similar system, although the hatch was now rectangular and bigger, built in at the construction stage, making it much easier to jump, although still somewhat cumbersome, compared to a side door.
In the Hudson, the jumpers would sit on the floor of the main cabin, the roof of the bomb bay, which was higher than the floor of the rear fuselage, by at least a foot. This is why the ramp, or chute, was needed, as the dropping hatch was cut into the floor of the rear fuselage, which would make it at best very awkward, at worst nigh on impossible, to reach the hatch and drop through cleanly and safely, and more importantly, quickly, without falling all over the place.
Instead, they simply shuffled into position, pushed off down the chute, and dropped out of the open hatch.

Do not forget the Hudson had a gun position in the rear fuselage floor. I think there was a hatch which hinged down to enable one of gunners to fire downwards and rearwards. My guess is the m/guns had been removed and the parachutist simply slide down the same hatchway.
One of the museum examples in Australia or NZ still this hatch.
Tony Broadhurst

Airframes,
Try this link and look at the eighth photograph down. This is a Hudson Mk.III, but as far as I can recall is was a feature of the Mk.I as well.
RNZAF Lockheed Hudson Survivors

I came across mention of this gun position when researching to do a model of of No.53 Squadron Hudson, 8 or 9 years ago.
Tony Broadhurst

P.S. Found further mention in the Service Instructions of the Lockheed Model A-29/Hudson III - see attached screen shots. It is referred to as the Tunnel Gun, and located close to the crew door but towards the opposite side, ie. not on the centre line.

Attachments

• A-29.tunnelgun.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 138
  • A-29.tunnelgun#2.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
Thanks for that, hadn't seen it before.
From what I've read, and heard about from veterans over the years, it would appear that this was deleted, or at least redundant, on RAF Hudsons. Certainly there is no external hint, in the way of panel lines etc, in those underside (WW2) photos I've seen.
I haven't heard of it being mentioned or used, but given that the structural arrangements were retained, it would, indeed, be a logical place to adapt as an exit, with chute, for parachutists.

Interesting stuff guys. But at least it's a hinged flap so I don't have to model it

A little bit of progress with assembly and painting last night. I can't see this taking long to finish.

Attachments

• 3F159EE8-7831-4302-A1F5-AF0E9892FDFA.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 126
  • 2F6B5944-4909-4F6A-8AED-27FC4EC51F60.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 119
I think a bit of concrete may be needed to fill the gaps in this. But main thing is.. it's together.

Attachments

• 76291908-10C0-4647-AC3F-E922A6AA1BD6.jpeg
    83.6 KB · Views: 127
  • 6CAF041E-6500-4745-9CD8-26136ACE3998.jpeg
    59.2 KB · Views: 141

Users who are viewing this thread