Airfix Lanc' build.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Cheers guys. Done a clear matt coat on it today and it looks well ! you can't even tell about the bodged black fuselage part... Thank goodness. :|

Looking good so far Ian. Do you ever build any other models other than lancs?

hhmmmm. Now this is a hard one :p in one word 'yes' This any good !!, note some big whooppers in 1/48th scale B29,Liberator and Avro Lincoln,etc also had a dabble in ships mainly 1/350th and cars too my fav' is the 1/24th Bently Blower 8),spot the roman warship behind the Bentley too !

I'm going to get my Vac' form 1/48th Whitley out again and continue with that as its been over a year since i touched it ............

morelancasterpics008.gif

morelancasterpics007.gif

pictures006.gif

pictures007.gif

pictures008.gif

pictures009.gif

pictures005.gif

The Tiripitz is forsale on ebay as i no longer want :(

[sorry wurger back to my build]............

pictures004.gif

When you come to glue the rear wings onto the fuselage you only need to glue the small locating section
apply, theres no need to actually put any glue in the recessed part.

pictures002.gif

pictures001.gif

When making the rear wings don't forget to paint the edges black as in the pictures, alot of people paint them camo' colour and there not.sorry for the 'shakey' pictures.

Thanks for looking :D

Cheers Ian, always wondered about that! :D
Would that apply to RAF aircraft generally? (sky or grey for day fighters of course...)

Yep !

The clear matt is completely dry now so it's just a matter of carefully putting the whole model together.
i bet some of you guys think how boring it is to keep making the same sort of model, well your right it
can become a bit boring to a point, i thought i was bad until i went to a model show and a fella was
showing his collection of 65 DC3's/Dakota's of all scales/types :idea:

lancbuild001.gif

Fuselage section turned out ok, thank the lord or was it my bodging.

lancbuild002.gif

Close shot of my hand brushed work :p

lancbuild003.gif

The Matchbox decals are a little too thick but i'll get over it ! They where made in 1978 lol

lancbuild004.gif

I thought about painting some suitable blue over the darkened bit caused by the red centre but i think
i wouldn't beable to match the blue, so i'm leaving them alone i can leave with them.

lancbuild005.gif

This is how all model lancasters wings should look like !! you can see the black edge.

lancbuild006.gif

I've got fitting canopies on Airfix Lanc's to a TEE now, only took ten attempts.

cheers.

Nice work Ian. Not quite right about all RAF aircraft having the one colour at the trailing edges of wings or tailplanes though. It depends on the type, the Arm (eg. Bomber Command, Fighter Command etc), the role, and where they were last painted. Many types exhibit a demarcation between the upper and lower surface colours along the trailing edges of tailplanes in particular, whilst some, if that area is recessed, for instance along the line of aeilerons, would be in basic primer or the Cockpit Green/Grey. Demarcations are more evident on control surfaces where, for instance, an elevator has a 'cut out' at the fuselage end, eg Dakota, Spitfire, Beaufighter etc. As with most subjects, check references for the particular machine being modelled.

Well guys,I've kicked the crap out of this one so Heres a few helpful pictures if anyone needs the info about building a neater lanc' ! this will be finished by tomorrow [hopefully] ;)

nearlydone001.gif

When glueing in the undercarriage start off by glueing in the supports only, using super glue.

nearlydone003.gif

Then glue in the main legs and glue the supports into the legs holes.

nearlydone004.gif

When all the undercarriage is complete and securely fixed, glue on the four doors
this is tricky as you have to be accurate with your glueing and placement of the doors.

nearlydone005.gif

Now insert the wheels, i always use paper towel to cover the tyres, this way any silver
which might come off the main undercarriage legs goes on the paper not on the tyres.

nearlydone006.gif

Both wheels are now in and don't glue these in as theres no need to, the cut out bit
on the tyres are done like that as if it has weight on them.

Now heres an even harder bit ! Glueing the nose blister on neatly, i've seen some noses on lancasters covered in glued or fogged up by super glue :shock:

nearlydone007.gif

I've always painted the flat edge of the nose blister in matt black because when you glue it on it hides the PVA glue.

nearlydone008.gif

I've always glued the noses on using micro kristal klear its virtually the same as PVA glue but much thicker.

nearlydone009.gif

Nose and front turret on, none of my turrests have no locating lugs so these turrets can be just pushed in
without any glueing and makes a far neater job.

nearlydone010.gif

You don't want any paint of the inner parts of the wings these bits have to be strong and use normal model glue
because you want to align the wings up correctly and super glue will glue them in and stick solid thus not being
able to move the wings about :evil:

nearlydone002.gif

Rear stablelisers and turret are fitted i find that useing super glue gives a far better stronger/quicker bond than normal model glue,
only glue needs to be applied in the grove of the stablelisers.

Thanks. Ian.

Well guys. Just two more in-build pictures and thats your lot, she's done also got to change one areal wire i snapped :oops: sticking the finished lanc' in the show your builds section :)

lancdone001.jpg

Weathered the upper and lower wings then just a case of putting the prop's on and she's done :cool:

lancdone002.jpg

If you take your time in the fillering/aligning of the nacelles this is the end result !.... as mess :lol:

Thanks for taking your time guys in reading so much of a boring bomber, to some maybe it is !:lol:

ian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back