Alex's Pic Thread: Welsh Ramblings and Long Awaited Dreams

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Alex .

Airman 1st Class
I thought I'd take a plunge into starting my own picture thread.

I'm lucky in that I get to spend a lot of time in one of UK's most scenic areas; on one side of me I have the mountains and valleys of Snowdonia, the other side the beaches and fields of the island of Anglesey. I've taken a fair few photos in my 3 years here, and thought I'd get round to sharing them with you guys. Still yet to get any aircraft wreck sites (Sadly bad weather hampered my last effort) but I will try again soon, especially as I will have my own transport shortly.

I don't have anything of particular value, just a little Fujifilm S2980 'bridge' camera, and sometimes my trusty iPhone, but I try my best. Any feedback, tips and tricks are all appreciated.

I'll also be using the thread for any updates on my journey into the Parachute Regiment, to those that are interested! (Terry, no doubt :p )

Anyway, I digress, here is the first few photos;

The summit of Y Garn (The Cairn), as the sunset two weeks back...
15_zps5827d1ff.jpg

Clouds over Snowdonia. The mound in the foreground is a 12th century Norman mote and bailey, built to suppress the unruly Welsh! :D
10.jpg

My climbing and all round action man buddy striking a pose on a right moody day. We were heading to Carnedd Dafyd to find wreckage of an Avro Lincoln that crashed close by; sadly with weather changing and lack of light we decided to head back home...(We did have two Tornados buzz us en route!)
17.jpg

Cheers guys, and hopefully you'll enjoy the photos. Plenty more to come, hoping to get around the air show circuit this year - so will be some relevant ones...eventually!

Nice start Alex and I'm going to enjoy what is to come as Wales is one place I love and you will be bringing long forgotten memories of many a wet, misty and tyring weekend in the Brecon Beacons in 59/60. Oh for my youth again.

Thanks once again for the comments! I really enjoy sharing these photos.

Today was an early start, 0630 wake up and out the house for 0700 for an 8 mile TAB - A cross between running and walking, with 20kg on your back! First time and aimed for 2 hours. We did it in 1:43:20, so I'm happy with that! :p
IMG_0848.jpg

Some more photos from the archives anyway...

On the Welsh borders, Ludlow Church. If you ever visit the UK, I'd definitely recommend it. One of the few places that still has that very British feel to it. It's packed with history too.
photo (3).jpg

Ludlow castle; home of the marcher council. Again, made to control the unruly Welsh...They did like to run amok on a regular basis :lol:
photo 3.jpg

I was passing through a church nearby and found this military grave, I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on why he is buried so far from home? I've had a look round google but haven't found any further information on him...
photo2.jpg

Edit: I've found his Squadron, he was in 3 Squadron AFC. I've looked through their squadron diary, but the entry for the 25.10.18 has no reports of
enemy activity. I imagine he may have either been killed on leave/accident or through wounds?

Edited edit:
Found him... Alexander William Connington
A fitter and turner prior to enlistment, Cpl Mech Connington embarked on board HMAT Ulysses (A38) on 25 October 1916. He completed fitting and mechanical courses in Scotland and served in France from August 1917. Cpl Mech Connington returned to England to begin training as a pilot flying officer but became severely ill with pneumonia. He died in Wales on 26 October 1918, aged 23.
P07483.001.JPG

Last edited:
A few more...

View down the Menai Strait last week, looking towards Britannia Bridge which links mainland Wales to the little island of Anglesey...
pppppp.jpg

Stumbled upon this place whilst out on the bike, Llyn Gwynant...
IMG_0190.jpg

Finally found an aircraft picture! My bike (War wounds now healed) in front of the Hawker Hunter gate guard at RAF Valley...
photo.jpg

Llynnau Mymbyr....bit of a mouthful!
IMG_0179.jpg

Resizing and having to take 2 off Facebook have meant they're a bit distorted, but I hope you like them!

10 mile run tomorrow morning, before a day in the library....really not cut out for this academic stuff. Looking forward to freedom now :confused:

Great stuff Alex, and like Vic, it's bringing back memories - mostly of being cold and wet.
But Anglesey has better memories (before my divorce) of quiet and peaceful weeks at the cottage at Church Bay, mostly with good weather, when the mainland was wreathed in cloud and rain, but also with the odd Autumn storm trying to lift the roof off!

Great stuff Alex, and like Vic, it's bringing back memories - mostly of being cold and wet.
But Anglesey has better memories (before my divorce) of quiet and peaceful weeks at the cottage at Church Bay, mostly with good weather, when the mainland was wreathed in cloud and rain, but also with the odd Autumn storm trying to lift the roof off!

The weekend has been decent, the temperature seems to be up now! The RAF seem to be having a lot of fun today in the area. One of my favourite places is Rhosneiger on Anglesey, it seems to have it's own mini climate. I'll dig some shots up, and as I say, glad to bring those memories of stinking weather back ;) All part of that Welsh character we all love!

THX for sharing Alex. :thumbright: :cool:

No problems Wojtek! :)

Ah, Rhosneiger! You mean like this?

Attachments

• Alex 3..jpg
    Alex 3..jpg
    99 KB · Views: 132
  • Alex 2.jpg
    Alex 2.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 129
  • Alex 1.jpg
    Alex 1.jpg