Another Spitpit.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Spits

Airman 1st Class
Instead of Hijacking Tonys amazing thread will start my own.Have no real idea of electronics but have a fair bit of knowledge of the internal bits of the Spit.See my blog here...
Spitfire Project A58-27
Well to begin with in the beginning there was some work being done to start off the Spitfire project.Firstly was to build a cockpit section for display using comercial grade ally so the volunteers could get their hands dirty in sheetmetal.We just enlarged the factory pressing drawings to full size,glued them to a bit of tin thereby using them as templates for marking out the wooden formers.It was a bit hit and miss and these original formers have been superceeded by Lazer cut examples for the "real" frames on the jig.
now these old formers were sitting around gathering dust so what to do with them.:oops:
So by recycling or copying stuff we already have am attempting to throw something together to sit in my office and fly in.As per the other guys amazing examples..A pic from today,F11 is being "lightened" by the drilling of 1 and a half " holes.

Attachments

• Pic_0602_863.jpg
    Pic_0602_863.jpg
    463 KB · Views: 141
So thats five now! Three Spitfires, one Mustang and one Thunderbolt. I think the Spitfire is a little over represented here!:lol:
I really need to get back to my 47. I got a little burned out and started working on 1/48th scale for a wile. You're going to shame me into working on it again!

Great start Ross, don't worry at all about teh electronics...dead easy even for a mug like me. I'll give you a hand when you get to that stage if you like. I think you will find that a single Leo Bodnar card and a single Phidgets LED controller will do the whole pit easily.

"The Invasion of the Spitfire People" begins!! :)

That would be scary! There's a guy here in the UK somewhere who built a replica Lanc nose section, from front turret back to the radio op's seat on the main spar. Just for display though, although some of the 'dials' worked for film/TV use.

Great start Ross, don't worry at all about teh electronics...dead easy even for a mug like me. I'll give you a hand when you get to that stage if you like. I think you will find that a single Leo Bodnar card and a single Phidgets LED controller will do the whole pit easily.
Thanks mate...Gunna need as much help as I can without burning the house down...Motivation is getting out into the mancave in this chilly "tropical" weather we are having...BBBrrrrr

Thanks mate...Gunna need as much help as I can without burning the house down...Motivation is getting out into the mancave in this chilly "tropical" weather we are having...BBBrrrrr

I've only burned a square foot of fuselage in the F-16 so far...so not too bad...

"Tropical" ah, wet and grey here...makes me want to go back to New Guinea............................

...........almost

Been tough timewise to get a start on anything but hopefully I can adjust things to suit.Some more lightening holes on frames 10 (the horseshoe) and frame 8.Also printed off to start cutting the diaphragms for the control box that sits between F7 and F9 out of 12mm MDF..
Still deciding what to do on the longerons.In reality the datum one is hatsection 1.5 inch by 1.5 inch with half inch flanges.Might go with wood...Same with the bottom Longeron in reality it is two formed (pressed) bits of aluminium,riveted together.Can do it in thin wood but then I have to worry about attaching the skin...:oops:

Attachments

• Ross 2009 091.jpg
    Ross 2009 091.jpg
    454 KB · Views: 76
  • Ross 2009 093.jpg
    Ross 2009 093.jpg
    437.1 KB · Views: 81
  • Ross 2009 094.jpg
    Ross 2009 094.jpg
    322 KB · Views: 81

Users who are viewing this thread

Back