Aust Model Expo (Melb) 2007

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

These next two were built by the same modeller 13 or 14 year old in the Junior class, the Fw190A-3 is 1/48 and placed first, the Bf109E4/7 is 1/72 and was second both are Tamiya kits. Not Bad hey!

Attachments

• Fw190A3 Junior_6357.jpg
    Fw190A3 Junior_6357.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 135
  • Bf109E4 Junior_6358.jpg
    Bf109E4 Junior_6358.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 128
I may give up modeling if he learns how to weather! Amazing paint job! Thought they were die-cast for a second.
Nj brings up an interesting topic. How much weathering is enough and what is too much? Weathering does add more realism to a model but can't a rather "clean" aircraft also be realistic? My thoughts before I get into the weathering are 1. How old or how long has this aircraft been in service or at the front lines? 2. What period of the war is it? In the early stages of WW2 aircraft ground crews had more time for paint and minor damage repair than later on. 3. Whose aircraft was it? In the latter stages of the war the Luftwaffe ground crews had their hands full just trying to keep aircraft operational 4. Geographic location. By this I mean how far from the supply center or parts depot is the unit? The afrika corps A/C were harder to maintain than those ,say in France, because of the length of thej supply line.
Any other view pionts on this topic?:?:

Very nice models there Wayne.I like the Me262.:)

As far the weathering is concerned, I think it depends on the scale of a model.Weathering which looks excellent on a big one it may give an impression of a dirty model in 1:72 scale.In a result of this a small model without weathering can appear much better one.It is also very easy to disfigure a very good painting on a model with bad weathering.So,if we decide to make weathering on our models we shouldn't exaggerate with this.Certainly,I agree with DOUGRD the mentioned by him points have to be taken into consideration but they are a part of the problem only.Simply a model is not a real machine.

Weathering is my friend...........hides my mistakes :lol:

But actually I do it because it makes the model mine. I like battle worn or things that are worked hard. Makes it more real for me. However a clean model is always welcome:)

I believe weathering depends, foremost on the modeller. When I build, I set in my head a time, where, all those factors, and then go from there. Is it just arrived? Is it an old horse? Is in the heat of desert of cold of the Ukraine? Thats up to the modeller.

Besides if I screw it up I can weather it more and instead of just arriving from factory, its being replaced!:lol:

Lots of good points on the weathering issue guys. It all comes down to your own choice in the end, the subject matter, time frame, operating location, references, skill level of the modeller etc. etc.
The end result is we get to see lots of good models!!

On that note here are a couple especially for you Wurger...

Attachments

• Fw190A-7 Bar_6449.jpg
    Fw190A-7 Bar_6449.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 135
  • Fw190A-7 Bar wb_6450.jpg
    Fw190A-7 Bar wb_6450.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 109
And to answer your earlier question Heinz, the junior and intermediate classes had on average about 4-6 entries if I remember correctly they were down a little on numbers this year.

THX a lot,Wayne.An excellent Mjr.Heinz Bar's Fw 190A7 "Red thirteen".He was a Gruppenkommandeur of II./JG51,painting from April 1944.:D :D :D
I think this model is a good example that the weathering hasn't to be exaggerated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back