Baseball playoffs

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ok, here's my take on it.

First, congrats to the Yankees. They won it. Phils didn't lose it, the Yankees won. Good for them.

Both sides played almost error free baseball. Only something like 3 errors per team for the length of the series. Never became a hit fest. Just standard baseball. Matter of fact, it was kinda boring. All of the games, if I remember correctly, were pretty much over by the 6th inning.

Yankees won on better pitching and more productive hitting. Phils left people on base all over the place.

Thoughts on the Phils:
1. Should Cole Hamels just go away or will Phila (a town that has handles installed on all their "grudges" so they can carry them around easier) cut him a break? I kinda think that commnet about "wishing the season was over" is gonna hang over him. Might be worth a trade. Does Cleveland have any good pitchers left?:)

2. Slugger Ryan Howard now has the record for the most Ks in world series history. Congrats dude, heading to the hall of fame on that one!:evil:

3. Lidge is a goat that doesn't deserve to be one. Sad to say, but the guy lost his fastball and the Philly world wants to crucify him. He'll probably be gone, go somewhere and get his mojo back and end up crushing the Phils.

4. Most consistent hitter for the Phils was the catcher, usually a guy nobody really bothers with. That says a lot.

5. Cliff Lee is the only really dependable pitcher the Phils have. Madsen may get there, same with Hap. But for now, Lee is on his own.

On an odd note, was listening to local sports this morning and the on air talent said he was behind home plate in the 9th and it was pretty quiet. Everyone was just sitting there watching. Finally, some guy jumped up and yelled "Whatsamatter wid ya' peeples, wez 2 outs from werld champs! Standz up an cheer, fer cryin' out loud" and the people sitting there just staired at him like he was nutz. Can't tell if that says New Yorkers are blaise about winning the World Series or the crash has depressed them. Maybe a little of both.

Or maybe it was not a particularly exiting series and it shows.

So Jimmy Rollins still thinks the Phils are better than the Yanks. Got one thing to say to Mr. Rollins.....

SHUT UP, YOU GOT BEAT BY A BETTER TEAM!

And learn how to lose with dignity and grace! Especially since you hit .217

TO

To follow with Les and TO.... GO YANKEE'S!!!!! Now, lets see Vassili rub in my face that the Red Sox are still top dog in baseball (no offense to you Red Sox fans out there, this is more sibling rivalry than anything else). :D:D

So Jimmy Rollins still thinks the Phils are better than the Yanks. Got one thing to say to Mr. Rollins.....

SHUT UP, YOU GOT BEAT BY A BETTER TEAM!

And learn how to lose with dignity and grace! Especially since you hit .217

TO

Yeah, no ****. If you were better, why hell aren't we having a parade in Philadelphia.

No way man, in a best of 7 series, you lost pal. Yankees won. They are World Champions and the better team.

Thoughts on the Phils:
1. Should Cole Hamels just go away or will Phila (a town that has handles installed on all their "grudges" so they can carry them around easier) cut him a break? I kinda think that commnet about "wishing the season was over" is gonna hang over him. Might be worth a trade. Does Cleveland have any good pitchers left?:)

Hamels will have to go away. His teammates hate him for what he said, and a locker room is a lonely place when you are unloved.

2. Slugger Ryan Howard now has the record for the most Ks in world series history. Congrats dude, heading to the hall of fame on that one!:evil:

In Howard's defense, he did win the NLCS MVP award for his hitting. Additionally, he hit 6 RBIs, .286 batting average, and 3 home runs in last season's series. Hitters get cold; it is the nature of the beast. To dismiss Howard after this series is premature, in my view.

3. Lidge is a goat that doesn't deserve to be one. Sad to say, but the guy lost his fastball and the Philly world wants to crucify him. He'll probably be gone, go somewhere and get his mojo back and end up crushing the Phils.

Same thing as Howard. One season does not mean a pitcher is washed up.

4. Most consistent hitter for the Phils was the catcher, usually a guy nobody really bothers with. That says a lot.

Utley played pretty consistently well. Had 5 total homers in 3 different games.

5. Cliff Lee is the only really dependable pitcher the Phils have. Madsen may get there, same with Hap. But for now, Lee is on his own.

I'm a Texas Rangers fan. All I can say is good luck with that!
:rolleyes:

In Howard's defense, he did win the NLCS MVP award for his hitting. Additionally, he hit 6 RBIs, .286 batting average, and 3 home runs in last season's series. Hitters get cold; it is the nature of the beast. To dismiss Howard after this series is premature, in my view.

Agreed, hitters are streaky. But we're not talking about slumping. We're talking about a record setting slump, most strike outs in World Series History slump.

Same thing as Howard. One season does not mean a pitcher is washed up.

I like Lidge. Last year, he was the man. This year, he's the goat. Nature of the game. He's not a bad pitcher, just lost his fastball this year. He's gonna get more crap than he deserves, but that comes with being the closer.

Utley played pretty consistently well. Had 5 total homers in 3 different games.

Very true. But he had problems with left handers. Two, two home run games was impressive. But, but, but...had a game or two where he didn't show up. Give credit to the Yankees pitching, it was very impressive.

I'm a Texas Rangers fan. All I can say is good luck with that!
:rolleyes:
I feel your pain! I remember the Phils in the 70s. Was actually at the game that went 23 innings (they closed the taps after the 7th inning. Everyone was sobering up by the 12th and hungover by the 16th. Couldn't take it anymore and left around the 18th, it was an incredible dull experience). Nothing hurts more than your team starting at the bottom and starting to dig.

I feel your pain! I remember the Phils in the 70s. Was actually at the game that went 23 innings (they closed the taps after the 7th inning. Everyone was sobering up by the 12th and hungover by the 16th. Couldn't take it anymore and left around the 18th, it was an incredible dull experience). Nothing hurts more than your team starting at the bottom and starting to dig.

Lol! My first baseball game was a promotional game. Bat night? Nope. Ball night? Try again. It was 10 cent beer night. It was traumatic for a 7 year old to have to wait in line for what seemed to be hours just to take a leak.

And I'll skewer anybody who makes any cracks about how long it has been since 10 cent beer night!

Congrats to the Yankees. Now lets see them buy a Stanley cup or Superbowl! :)

Pitching aside, the Phils didn't hit. And I think that has been the problem all year. I wonder how many games Cole or Pedro or Joe pitched this year that the hitters lost for them.

But they made it to the big dance for the second year in a row. Can't be too hard on them.

Lol! My first baseball game was a promotional game. Bat night? Nope. Ball night? Try again. It was 10 cent beer night. It was traumatic for a 7 year old to have to wait in line for what seemed to be hours just to take a leak.

And I'll skewer anybody who makes any cracks about how long it has been since 10 cent beer night!

I heard about that. The one I heard about was out in Cleveland in the 70s. Said everyone got drunk and started fighting. Last time they did that. Although I heard it was nickel beer night.

Phila did have souvinier bat night back in the 70s. I remember that. Gave out little bats about the size of a night stick. Looks like a night stick, feels like a night stick....(5 beers later) WHACK! THUD! BUDDA, BUDDA, BUDDA. Nothing like a couple thousand drunken Phillies fans beating up on each other with little souvineir bats.

Good point on No.5 Tim. I also think Cliff Lee is the best pitcher the Phillies have, especially after his great performance at Game One. I want to see more of Cliff Lee on the next Phillie games!

I have to say I really liked Hideki Matsui's performance at Game Six. It's just too bad he's going to be a Free Agent next year. The Yankees will have lost a great player.

-Arlo

-Arlo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back