Baseball playoffs

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Bad? :rolleyes:

What part of their 26 World Series championships are "bad"?

TO

Note-I spoke in the present tense, not the past. The New York Yankees have a proud tradition of excellence. They once represented all that was great about American Sport. Now they only represent an overgrown pre-adolescent jack-ass trying to buy a pennant every year.

I love the Yankees, but I love the game of Baseball more; and Steinbrenner and company are bad for the game.

What I like about the Yankees? They beat the crap out of the Soxs at regular intervals. Never paid any attention to the AL until the interleague play started and those asswipes from Boston started showing up in Phila acting like they invented baseball. They really are pricks. Yankees Fans never do that. Yanks Fans show up and start commenting on a slider missing or the changeup hanging or whatever. They know the game. Same with the Orioles types. Only the Soxs are truely obnoxious (not counting NL teams in here, that's different, especially in the division-they're supposed to be that way). Can't stand them. That's why the Yankees are my favorite AL team. They slap the Sox around like Red Headed stepkids. It's fun to watch.

Looks like the Yankees and Dodgers are favored. I hope the Phils take the Dodgers. They have to take at least one out in LA to have a good chance of winning the series. If the Dodgers take both in LA, it's going to be really tough to sweep them in Phila.

As much as I hate to say it, a lot depends on Manny. If he's having a good series, it's going to be tough on the Phils.

As for the AL, my money is on the Yankees.

Would love to see the Phils and Yanks go at it. That would be OUTSTANDING!

Okay, I admit, a lot of the fans are whiny. I steer clear of that though, got to have some fans with common sense.

Note-I spoke in the present tense, not the past. The New York Yankees have a proud tradition of excellence. They once represented all that was great about American Sport. Now they only represent an overgrown pre-adolescent jack-ass trying to buy a pennant every year.

I love the Yankees, but I love the game of Baseball more; and Steinbrenner and company are bad for the game.

Gotta disagree diddy.

Yankees are one of the class organizations in pro sports.

"Buying championships" is a myth. If that was the case the Yanks would win the Series every year, since their payroll is the highest every year. And they haven't won a championship since 2000. Money does make you a contender every year, but championships are won by superior pitching in three short series.

Steinbrenner hasn't been involved for a number of years now (sons are in charge). But I've got no problem with an owner that wants to win.

TO

new_jersey_copy.gif

LOL, the smelly guy from New Jersey hates my Yankees, will I ever be able to sleep again???

YES!

jersey_jswhite_BODY.gif

I'm told my halatosis is under control....unless someone's lying to me!!!

Yanks and Phils - a Turnpike Series!!

Friggin' nasty weather in Pa right now. Rainy, temps in the 50s, horrible for Baseball. Lucky for everyone the series is starting in LA today. But if this weather holds until they get out here, the Dodgers are going to have to deal with 40/50F weather and rain.

It sucks out there right now, even for someone who lives in Pa.

Anyway, games start in another 2.5 hours. GO PHILS!

For all but 4 teams......Great game last night....Dodgers with 14 hits but left too many on base,Phillies misses a couple opportunities to end innings.Dodgers came out aggressive,Phils did not,but their patience held out while the Dodgers lost theirs.Looks like it will come down to the managers pulling the starters at the right time and bullpens,Dodgers have an edge there unless Lidge is back to form.Both teams can hit,but the Phillies have more power and consistence through most of their line up...GO PHILLIES

Yeah man, only in Phila can you get the fans excited about losing 10,000 games. Remember when that happened and the Phils tried to keep a lid on it. But Sports Radio was all over it.

I love it. I love it in the way they threw snowballs at Santa Claus, like the way they used to attack the Giants and Redskins Fans back in the late 70s (once saw about 3 full sections fighting in the middle of a very boring game), in the way nobody uses their horn much in Phila but everyone uses the finger (works better-more personal). Phila is a mean town when it comes to sports. Like the saying goes, "Only in Phila can you have the thrill of victory and the agony of reading about it the next day in the paper".

A straight up mean sports town.

yup

The Body Bag Game
The Bounty Bowl
The Pork Chop Bowl

Only place that had a court set up underneath the stadium for games.

Cheered when Michael Irvin went down.

and the booos

"Sometimes I can still hear it, and I've been retired for 30 years!" Adrian Burk, Eagles QB

Tuesday, October 27, 2009
Dan Goldberg
FOR THE STAR-LEDGER

Chuck Cruser was at a Modell's in Hamilton Township yesterday afternoon trying on a Phillies hat.

It didn't fit.
He purchased a Yankees cap instead.

"I might still buy a Phillies hat," said Cruser, who roots for both the Phillies and the Yankees during the regular season. After some pressing, Cruser said he will pull for the Yankees when the two teams meet in the World Series.

"I think it will be a lot of fun," Cruser said. "I think the Yankees win in seven."

No matter whether it's Yankees in seven or Phillies in four, one thing is certain: The World Series goes through New Jersey this year. Just last January, the state's split sports personality came to light when the Giants and Eagles met in the NFL playoffs, but this is the first time since 1950 the Yankees of the American League will meet the Phillies of the National League to determine baseball supremacy.

Let the Turnpike trash talking begin.

For the record, the exact midpoint between New York City and Philadelphia is in Plainsboro, according to Geographic Midpoint Calculator With Maps. But residents of the southern Middlesex County town say the area is solidly behind the pinstripes. To find the true dividing line, where Philly red mixes with Yankee blue, you have to travel south into Mercer County, to Hamilton Township. That, according to residents, is where Yankee pride begins to give way to Philly fanatics. That is where there will be divided homes, intermarriages, and trash-talking neighbors.

Elaine Matt, who lives in Robbinsville, came to the Modell's to purchase a Yankee T-shirt. Her house is Yankee territory, but her sister, she explained, rolling her eyes, is a Phillies fan.

"She married a guy from Bordentown," Matt said. Bordentown is in a part of the state defined as "Philly Land" by a June 2009 Quinnipiac poll. That's Mercer County and south, according to Micky Carroll, director of the Quinnipiac University Polling Institute. The poll showed that 75 percent of those in "Philly Land" identified as Phillies fans. The Yankees dominated the rest of the state, with the Mets claiming about one in five New Jersey hearts.

"Only in the Philadelphia suburbs do the Phillies dominate," said Clay Richards, assistant director of the Quinnipiac University Polling Institute. The Jersey Shore counties, according to the poll, favor the Yankees over the Phillies by about a two-to-one margin.

Hamilton may not be the geographic middle but it is a 50-50 town, said Scott Loessy, the general manager at Modell's. Business was booming at his sporting goods store, where two tables had been set up just feet from the entrance. To the left a table for Phillies fans, to the right all Yankees gear.

"This Monday is like a Saturday," Loessy said. "It's better than that. It's like black Friday."

Yankee merchandise was moving a bit quicker, but Loessy attributed that to the fact that the Phillies won the pennant last year, not the demographics of the town. This will be the first trip to Fall Classic for the Yankees since they lost to the Florida Marlins in 2003.

The last time the Phillies and Yankees met in the World Series was in 1950. The Yankees swept the series, the second of what would be a record five consecutive titles. Loessy said his customers were dealing with a range of emotions, including how to care for a loved one who roots for the other team.

That was the case for Charles Vadino, a corrections officer at the state prison in Trenton, who was looking at Yankees gear for his 16-year-old son. Born in South Philly, Vadino will be cheering for the Phillies this week. His son, though, grew up a Derek Jeter fan. Vadino said the two remain on speaking terms, but like any parent with teenagers, he had to make the rules explicit.

"I wished him congratulations," Vadino said, "but I told him, "Officially, we are now enemies.' "

For Series, Jersey is both a blue and a red state - Page 3 - NJ.com

Phillies six runs up and the Yankees only one! Go Phillies! Too bad I can't watch Game One (My lil' sis is watching cartoons) :(

-Arlo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back