Battle of Britain 'Bits Box'. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi folks,
for further references to the coming BoB GB i can recommend these magazines :

Fine Scale Modeler - Warbird Modeling from 2005
and
Flypast Battle of Britain Special Edition
and
Oprey-Duel Series-Spitfirevs Bf 109
greets Thomas

Last edited:
Thanks Andy.
If the Osprey Spit v '109 book is anything like the P51 v Fw190 book, it's a waste of paper!
There are literally hundreds of good references on the aircraft and the BoB, so plenty to go at folks. By all means mention other references, but bear in mind this thread is as advertised - 'Bits' - and is designed to provide the basic info all in one place. Further specific research is up to the individual.
It might be a better idea to start a separate thread for reference sources, to avoid this one becoming cluttered.

Terry, as you see, the "Spit vs 109" book is among the references I used for the BoB thread. Haven't found anything particularily bad about it. What caused you grief with the "51 vs..." book?

Chris, there wasn't anything particularly bad about the P51 v '190 book, but it wasn't particularly good either ! I got it out of the local Public Library, to check it over before buying a copy, and I'm glad I did. I thought it was 'averagely' written, with oft seen photos, rather poor profiles, and some inaccuracies. Basically, I wasn't ompressed, considering I have a number of Osprey books which are far superior, both in content and production. The content appeared to be a re-hash of the same old stuff; there are numerous publications covering the subject which are better, although for a novice, it is a handy 'compact' beginners guide I suppose.

The "Spit vs 109" that I have I thought was done fairly well. Text always to me seems to be re-hashing among these books, but some of the profiles and breakdown of the planes was unique. Might be a different read from the "51" book you looked at. Just my impression and, as you probably gathered, I don't keep my eggs all in one basket! :) Many more books about!

PART THREE
Here's the Third part, covering the Luftwaffe units, their equipment and code letters.
EDIT: Addendum. There were some errors and omissions in the original PDF as posted. These have now been corrected. If you have already downloaded the PDF, delete it, and download the corrected version. Apologies for any inconvenience.
Yours sincerely,
Herr Dumkopf !!

Attachments

• Microsoft Word - BoB bits 3 Luft.pdf
    39.8 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
Can anyone elaborate on the Do-18? Reference photos? The ones I have found online are rather non-discript.

Here's a quick pic. I might be able to find a better one in my library, but it could take some time.

Attachments

• Can Jan 354.jpg
    Can Jan 354.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 125
Thanks for the DO18 pic, makes some things a little more clear.
But, is there still a 1/72nd kit available, or does anyone have one they would part with?????
And don't expect this to be a freebee!
I understand Revell discontinued the kit long ago, and Matchbox has one, yes?
I would like to get in on one GB, and would like to keep my contribution Navy related, even a seaplane.
My scale is 1/72nd mostly except for a couple of special kits in 48th.
Cheers, Bill

The Revell kit is/was the Matchbox kit - Revell acquired the moulds of all, or virtually all, the Matchbox kits produced. Far as I know, the Revell version is out of production, although there's a chance it will be re-released again at sometime I guess.
I've just checked a place I use for OOP/hard to find kits, and neither are available.

No problem Bill, You're welcome. Why not try a RAF Air Sea Rescue 'sea plane' ? The Walrus is available both from Airfix and Revell , the latter ex- Matchbox, both in 1/72nd scale. For some unknown reason, I forgot to list the Walrus in the RAF Squadrons in Part One.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back