Battle of Britain 'Bits Box'. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Bl**dy marvelous work old chap! That with 'A' and 'B' scheme on 'odd' and 'even' is enough to give anyone a headache!

Thanks guys, hope it proves useful. Yep, that 'A' and 'B' thing can occassionally be a bit of a headache, as Peter and I have just found out !
The Luftwaffe part will be along similar lines, but don't expect a really in-depth explanation or breakdown - it's designed to be a basic guide to the main points, and mainly for those who have little knowledge of the structure, and the way the markings systems worked. It'll be a simplified way of finding out what, why and when, for example, paritcularly on some of the changes to, and development of camouflage schemes and the tactical I.D. colours etc.
With a bit of luck, I might have it posted in the next two or three days - if I can stay awake !!

Last edited:
Just finished reading Dennis (Hurricane) David' s autobiography and in it there was an interesting snippet where he was talking to LW pilots after the war and those in Gallands staffel during the BOB were most distressed when he ordered the removal of the radios as a means to save weight and increase range.

That must have caused a few headaches when it came to control - I suppose they had to rely on hand signals, rocking the wings etc.

Ok, I've been doing a fairly good job at keeping my distance on this one. The reason I say that is because I have so many in progress projects I didn't want to start any more till I had wrapped up a few. Well it looks like I'll have the Blackbird finished by weeks end with the Ferdinand close behind. That means I can start thinking about the BoB group build now. :D

It looks like there is an overwhelming showing of Spitfires, Hurricanes and 109's so I feel I need to find something completely different. I was originally thinking about taking out the Airfix Defiant for this one. I have the doner spitfire and the decals supplied with the kit appear to be correct for this build.Easy peasy but then again to I'm not sure I'm ready to start making a Frankenstein-plane just yet. I'm not sure my skills are quite there yet. :cry:

My other thought is a Blenheim Mk1. The decals with the available kits don't work for this build but I think I found a set at Hannants that will work for 600 Sq. (BQ). Of course I have the Defiant already but would have to buy the Blenheim and all the ones I found are from the UK so shipping might be an issue. :confused:

I guess I need to pull out the ole Coin and flip for it. :p Either way I hope to bring something different to the table for this one.

Last edited:
Last night I did a little more debating with myself and the die has been cast. The kit, decals and masks have been ordered. Now all I can do is wait. In the mean time I'll be able to finish the Blackbird (Dull coat applied last night) and the Ferdinand. Heck I might even have some time to work on some of my other uncompleted projects.

Lots of great stuff going on in the BoB Group build so far. I'm still in a holding pattern waiting for my package from Hannant's to arrive. Damn over seas shipping :evil: The good thing is it's given me time to work on some other things.

If it's any consolation, it takes as long for a package to go door to door in the UK as it does to go UK to USA! Darned British Post Office !

Bl**dy P.O. taking too long to deliver an important letter, costing me a lot of money!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back