Bf109 raised off northern Norway (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Colin1

Senior Master Sergeant
Jan 2, 2009
United Kingdom
Is this the one that hit the seafloor and perched there on its nose for 60-odd years?

Attachments

• Bf109.jpg
    Bf109.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 240
I am an aviation artist. I am starting a project from a story that comes from a B-17 tail gunner. He is credited with shooting down two aircraft on one mission. The first was a FW 190, the second a BF109. He says that the 109 had a red and yellow checkerboard pattern from the nose to the canopy. I thought perhaps this was a personal paint job since I have never seen this before. I am a stickler for accuracy in my artwork, and this one's really bothering me because I don't want to get it wrong. Has anyone ever come across aBF109 with a paint job that matches that description and if so, can you guide me to a picture or very good description of it. The tail gunner didn't remember very many details, only what I have included here.

Thank you

...the 109 had a red and yellow checkerboard pattern from the nose to the canopy. I thought perhaps this was a personal paint job since I have never seen this before. I am a stickler for accuracy in my artwork, and this one's really bothering me because I don't want to get it wrong. Has anyone ever come across aBF109 with a paint job that matches that description and if so, can you guide me to a picture or very good description of it.
Will have a look once I get home

I am an aviation artist. I am starting a project from a story that comes from a B-17 tail gunner. He is credited with shooting down two aircraft on one mission. The first was a FW 190, the second a BF109. He says that the 109 had a red and yellow checkerboard pattern from the nose to the canopy. I thought perhaps this was a personal paint job since I have never seen this before. I am a stickler for accuracy in my artwork, and this one's really bothering me because I don't want to get it wrong. Has anyone ever come across aBF109 with a paint job that matches that description and if so, can you guide me to a picture or very good description of it. The tail gunner didn't remember very many details, only what I have included here.

Thank you

Ha! That certainly sounds like he shot down a P-51 of the 357th Fighter Group. :lol:

This Bf109 was covered on an earlier thread here:

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/aviation-videos/109-found-water-24704.html

As for the pilot:

"Messerschmitt Bf 109 G-2 Risværsundet, Nord-Trøndelag
Stab./IV./JG 5 Yellow 3 WNr.14649 Uffz.Günther Seraphim (21) 24.03 1943

Uffz. Seraphim was flying northwards, along with two other Messerschmitts when his engine suddenly stopped. He performed a successful landing at sea north of island Gjerdinga in Vikna. He was rescued by Olette Bliksø and her son Birger which witnessed the ditching from island Blikøya. They dragged the pilot into their boat while the two other Messerschmitts were circling above their heads. Then rowed to Risøyværet and contacted German forces based at Rørvik."

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back