Bf109E-1 Jg54 Battle of Britain Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I did quite a bit of work in the last couple of days

Picture 1 Masking for the top side camo.
Picture 2 The RLM 02 applied
Picture 3 Masking for the second camo color
Picture 4 The RLM 71 applied
Pictures 5 6 The basic RLM 65/02/71 camo scheme after the masking has been removed. I have to repaint the RLM 71 on the spoilers. I had made the first pass with the airbrush and the pot ran dry. It looked OK wet, but was way too light when it dried. No big thing.

Next is the complicated camo pattern on the fuselage sides shown in Picture 7, but first I'll have to practice some with the airbrush.

Last edited:
Me too ! It's a tricky one, but just think of it as another two paint patterns to lay down, and it shouldn't be too bad, the main thing is remembering where you're up to - and where to go next !!
I reckon 'draw' the dark lines with the airbrush, then fill in with the grey, then go to the hospital for treatment for Repetitive Strain Injury !

Thanks guys. It's a good feeling to peal off the tape and find that you hadn't messed up somewhere!
Thats the plan Terry ( The painting sequence not the hospital. Had a cyst cut out of the back of my neck yesterday, so have had enough of doctors for a while)

That sounds complicated Glenn, and could have been confusing in the operating theatre - "Can you assist with a cyst, Sister? And pass me the cyst scissors Cyril"
I'll leave now shall I ....?

Thanks Kevin.

I have a little problem I was hoping someone here could help me out with. I'm mot sure how to paint the spinner
The first pic is the profile from the decal sheet and the second is from a skin I found on line that seemed to replicate the camo very well. As far as the spinner both look like they match the third which is from a pic of the crashed aircraft's left side, but the skin which shows the spinner half black and half white, does not agree with the last pic which is from the right side crash pic. It taken together with the other crash picture shows 2/3s of the spinner to be a dark color and 1/3 to be a light color. My question is would that 2/3s be black, with the remaining 1/3 white, or could there be 2 different dark colors?

Attachments

• CN-Bf-109E-6_JG54-(Y10+)-France-1940-NC.bmp
    156.5 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
The tones in the sections of profiles posted suggest Schwargrun 70 and white, with a yellow cap. The Black Green was the factory finish for the spinner, along with the propellor blades, and notice these are the same colour in the profile. The tones in the photo suggest this also. I think the Jagdwaffe series has this shown, so I'll check and see what they say.

Just checked, and it is Schwarzgrun 70 and white. The Blackgreen spinner had a one quarter white segment and a yellow cap.
Other Staffels had similar schemes, with, for example, half 70 and half white, with a red cap, in 5/JG54.

Thanks Terry. I have a bottle of RLM 70 so that works out great. Are you sure the one quarter white isn't one third white? The line between dark and light on both wreck pictures above line up with the prop blades.

Users who are viewing this thread