Bf109E-1 Jg54 Battle of Britain Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Looks very good Glenn but perfection I think would of been obtained if one good cleaning on the AB before appling would of fixed the issue or you had water in the reg trap.I have found whenever doing these Luft birds with these complex patterns keeping an eye on the trap and a through cleaning go a long way(your 2 hrs).Thats why when I was doing my staining the other day my gun was like crap.I walked away came back the next day still the same but I noiticed the problem was it was not picking up the paint but at full throttle :-k I had a restiction from my cleaning part of q-tip or something I fixed it rightup.

Thanks for the comments guys, I think I might touch it up some with a brush. I'm afraid I might make it worse if I try with the airbrush. And thanks for the pictures Chris. That could almost be the same 109. My personal theory is that Jg54 had a very talented man on the paint spray gun. Many of their 109s have that same complicated camo with slight variations.

Interesting about those photos, it looks like they painted the camo over the a/c number and cross then touched the number and cross up again. I would have guessed that they would just try to stay clear of these with the spray gun.

Anyway Glenn, I think the camo looks great as is but the only one you need to satisfy is yourself of course.

I finlay got around to touching up the RLM 71 on the E-1 and am satisfied with the results. I also figured out what was wrong with the airbrush The tip was damaged, but on a Sotar 20/20 it's such a small part that I needed to look at it through a magnifying light to see it. It's also outrageously expensive for the part.... $38

PA033195.JPG
PA033197.JPG

Last edited:
Nicely done Glenn. It does look better.

Glad you found the culprit, although it did cost you some. Airbrush needles are notorious for being prone to damage, especially the fine ones. I've managed to straighten a mildly bent tip on mine by carefully rolling it at a slight angle on a flat surface with constant inspection under a strong magnifying glass.

Looks great Glenn and glad you sorted the airbrush. I hate the cleaning bit and so afraid of damaging the needle so when I remove it, after swabbing it down with spirit, I put it well out the way at the back of the spray box.

Interesting about those photos, it looks like they painted the camo over the a/c number and cross then touched the number and cross up again. I would have guessed that they would just try to stay clear of these with the spray gun.

Anyway Glenn, I think the camo looks great as is but the only one you need to satisfy is yourself of course.

They may have been the factory numbers that got covered.

It wasn't the needle Jason, it was the tip. I took this pic through my magnifying lamp so it's greatly magnified. I can see in the picture now that there is a tiny tare. Have no idea how I did it. Before I saw the pic I thought it was only misshaped. That's how small the d@med thing is. And can you believe $38 for this thing. That much platinum isn't worth $38. I think I'll only use the Sotar20/20 for special work and use My Badger 100G for most every thing else. The same part for the 100G isn't that much bigger and is only $9.

PA063202.JPG

Last edited:
Oh, ok. For some reason I thought it was the needle. That sucks about the tip. I can't believe how expensive that little thing is.

I cut out the vacuform canopy pieces tonight and got the rear one pretty well dressed up so it fits, but still have to work on the other two pieces. Vacuform canopies is NOT my favorite part of modeling!!! No pictures of it tonight hopefully tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back