Borneo Campaign remembered (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wildcat

Major
Apr 11, 2005
South East Queensland
Veterans of one of Australia's final actions in World War II returned to a Brunei beach on Saturday for an emotional memorial dedication ceremony.

Rex Smith, a veteran from Ulverstone in Tasmania , said he was moved by the ceremony and the memories that had been stirred by being back in Brunei.

"It's the first time I've been back, it's a long way to come from Australia," he told AAP from Brunei.

He was one of six Australian veterans who travelled to the South-East Asian island for Saturday's service, which unveiled a memorial dedicated to the 114 Australian men who died and the 221 who were wounded liberating Brunei and British North Borneo (now Malaysia) from Japanese occupation at the end of WWII.

The six ageing servicemen, most of whom were returning for the first time, represented 20,000 fellow Australian soldiers, sailors and airmen who took part in the operation known as OBOE 6.

The massive land, sea and air effort aimed to secure the Brunei Bay area so it could be used as an advanced naval base, and to secure nearby oilfields.

The memorial overlooks Muara beach, where along with nearby Labuan island, members of the Australian 9th Division came ashore.

It was dedicated at almost the exact time naval guns opened fire for the attack on the morning of Sunday, June 10, 1945.

The black granite memorial, inscribed with the words "1945 in memory", stands with an interpretive panel describing the campaign.

Mr Smith was a storeman and guard in the Royal Australian Air Force, enlisting at the age of 18.

"It's amazing how this place has improved and grown," he said of Brunei.

"When we landed here the place was virtually flattened, it had been shelled pretty heavily from the sea and bombarded from the air, that's how I remember it.

"I landed at Labuan island, the airstrip there was just bomb craters from one end to the other a lot of planes destroyed on the ground."

The veterans also visited Labuan cemetery, the only war cemetery in the Borneo region, where 1,200 Australians are buried, including the 114 killed in the OBOE 6 campaign.

Mr Smith said the cemetery was kept in spotless condition, which the locals should be proud of.

"It brings back a lot of memories but it's lovely to see it and realise that our dead have been appreciated," he said.

Federal Veterans' Affairs Minister Alan Griffin, who also attended the service in Brunei, described it as "very moving".

"The simplicity of the memorial added to the poignancy," he told AAP.

"It's always very special to have veterans present giving you the opportunity to hear from them what they recall of the time," Mr Griffin said.

"It's also great seeing them interact with the local population, many of whom made a point of coming up and saying thank you."

Veterans Steve Gooch and Bill Corey unveiled the memorial along with Mr Griffin, while veteran Rex Kawelmacher laid a wreath, a Department of Veterans' Affairs spokeswoman told Agence France-Presse.

The three other veterans gave readings, she said.

"I think tears were held back," she said.

"It was definitely very emotional."

About 150 people attended the ceremony, including members of the Australian Defence Force and Chief of Air Force Air Vice Marshal Mark Binskin.

Brunei's deputy defence minister represented the sultan and the people of Brunei.

Mr Griffin said the OBOE 6 operation established an enduring relationship between Australia and Brunei.

He said the Australian forces had faced fierce resistance in one of the largest landing operations of the war.

"It's a part of WWII many Australians are not aware of," he said.

Mr Smith agreed with the minister.

"I think probably a big majority of Australians don't realise exactly what went on here in the takeover of Borneo and this area," he said.

"I'm sure it will get a lot of publicity and a lot of support from now on."

Brunei commemorates Aussie WWII veterans - Yahoo!7 News

See this thread for some pics from the Borneo campaign http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/personal-gallery/wildcat-s-wwii-pics-4098.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back