Bristol Beaufighter Mk.VI, No. 603 "City of Edinburgh" Squadron Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The problem is, as the Beau squadrons were integrated, and only (generally) displayed the individual code letters, it's often difficult to ascertain exactly which squadron a particular aircraft is from, unless the source states this for definite.

On the 26th September1942 the Air Ministry wrote to all operational Commanands including Middle East, India, and West Africa, informing them that is had been decided, for security reasons, with the exception of Bomber and Fighter Commands, all other Commands should dispense with the use of squadron codes for identification.

Yep, which is why most Beaus only show the individual code letter, and some fighters too. There were exceptions though, as the odd aircraft still had the full squadron code and individual letter as late as early 1943. The problem of identity (today) can be compounded by various books displaying a picture of the same aircraft, often the same picture, with details for different squadrons. Frustratring, but part of the 'fun', I suppose!

Just thought old boy. Does your SAM Data File Beaufighter book thingy have a production list, with the serial blocks? I've been trying to find them, but can't. But if they're in your book, I can check which Marks I have serials for in 603 sqn. It may be that an early MkVI might have an 'X' serial number, in which case I might have one for you.

is this any help Jan/Terry ?

Attachments

• Pict0030.jpg
    Pict0030.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
Hey! Fantastic Karl! I've identified a MkX from 603 in there you could use Jan, which looked the same externally. I thought I might have a serial for a 603 MkVIF, but the one I have either didn't exist, or there's a mis-print in the above extract, I think possibly the latter. Darn!
Great work though Karl, very useful indeed mate!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back