British TV program question (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

US tv was a lot funnier and better way back when ( 60s and early 70s). the variety shows had talent and showcased new performers ( who made it big ). all the shows mentioned above ( speaking comedy only)...add green acres, I love lucy, the carol burnett show, the smother's brothers, red skelton, get smart ( yeah i know but still was a sucker for it ). 2 movies that get little recognition but are very funny...Noises off with michael cain, carrol burnett, chris reeve...and Dad with tom selleck. MP and fawlty towers played on PBS along with Are You being Served...MP remains to be what i think is some of the funniest stuff. my wife runs the theather productions at the local school. every year she agonizes about what show to do...i keep telling her to do a night of monty python...akin to the secret policemans other ball. she wont...sigh

Maybe she needs a visit from the Spanish Inquisition, and instruction from the Minister of Silly Walks......after a vist to the Cheese Shop, of course!!

Classics of British comedy:

- Monty Python's Flying Circus
- Fawlty Towers
- Dad's Army
- The Young Ones
- Only Fools Horses
- Phoenix Nights
- The Office
- Brass Eye
- anything with Alan Partridge in it
- Extras
- Gavin and Stacey

I am in awe of writers like John Cleese and Ricky Gervais.

I have to admit, British Comedy rocks!
- Monty Python's Flying Circus
- Fawlty Towers
- The Young Ones
- The Office

I'd have to add:
- Red Dwarf
- Are you being Served?
- As Time Goes By
- Keeping up Appearances

... I don't know how I missed out Blackadder... this was the show of the kids of the 80s, we used to go to school and quote lines from the previous evening's episode at each other.

this is the Jane Harrington? Jane "bury me in a y-shaped coffin" Harrington?

Classic!

That might be the reason, but it was exceptionally funny, in a quiet sort of way, with its p**s take of archetypal RAF escapees, S.O.E. agents without a proper command of the French language, and the internal bickering of the different groups of the Resistance. Even some French people I know thought it hilarious.

I loved Allo Allo !!:lol::lol:

Allo Allo is absolute class and one of the best comedy series' ever in my opinion. The stereotypes were extreme but were really well done and had quite a lot of subtelty to some of them. Herr Flick and Helga were a superb double act, the other German officers were great and the French with their cafe culture and waitresses were classic.

The only comedy shows that top it in my opinion are 'Fawlty Towers', 'Only Fools and Horses' and for classic comedy 'Some Mothers Do Have-em'. 'The Vicar of Dibley' can be good too if you're on the right wave length, as is 'Mr Bean' and 'Birds of a Feather'.

Last edited:
Just remembered another one, though not really 'British' - 'Father Ted'. Sure, you will, you will, you will remember it......

OMG how could Father Ted have been overlooked... I used to cry laughing at that (being a lapsed catholic with all kinds of issues with the "One True Church")

"You see, Dougal, these are small... whereas those are far away..."

"Father Ted' is awesome. Love that show. One of the actors also played in another Britcom about an alien superhero living among the masses with a wife and baby. Can't remember the name but I thought it was hilarious. The baby used to kill me with his superpowers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back