Britons tire of cruel, vulgar US: poll

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

DerAdlerIstGelandet said:
Well I hope you are not offended with the comment that made.

Not at all. You have a unique perspective on this subject and a valued input.

To help you understand I will put it like this. Everyone makes stereotypes of everyone. If anyone denies this, then they are blind to the real world. Now having said this, alot of what people are saying here is stereotyping of Europe that is not true. Americans have a habbit of doing this because they dont know any better about what it is like over here in Europe. They only know what they are tought and what they see on TV through the media and TV shows.

Unfortunately we see each other through a small window often tinted by others. I am sure that much perception about Americans have been from the movies. Much perception about Europeans also come from the movies, the movie makers creation of what he wants the European (African, Asian) to be.

Good example everyone thinks that Germans like David Hasselhof (yes he was popular over here in the 80's [he was popular in the US as well with Knightrider] and the early 90's) because of shows like Eurotrip (which was a great movie!) and Dodgeball and other shows that show up on TV in the states. You dont know how many times I hear from Americans "Germans are gay because they all like David Hasselfof!" when in fact he is no more popular over here than he in the states.

Good grief, I like David Hasselhof.

Do they do the same in Europe? Ofcourse they do. Most of the stereotypes come from the Americans that they see here on a day to day basis and lets be honest a large population of the soldiers here do not act very polite or friendly, especially when there is alcohol involved.

Agreed, however, I suspect all soldiers behave in such a manner, especially when alcohol is involved. Only, there tends to be more American soldiers around in foreign countries. When I was in training in the Air Force, we had two NATO student pilots from Norway. They promptly went down to Oklahoma City, got drunk and was thrown in jail for disorderly conduct. Our Squadron leader had to go down and bail them out. No other student pilots (American, Irani, Afganistan, even Marines) got into that type of trouble. How do you think the folks in Oklahoma felt about Norwegians (and maybe even Europeans in general), probably the first ones they ever met.

Well to be honest, I have been to both schools in the US and Germany and I have to say the history classes that are tought in US schools are lacking. They teach only an Americanized form of History and leave out a lot. In US history books, WW1 was won single handedly by the US, WW2 was won single handedly by the US...

No argument here. My experience confirms these comments. I do think things are getting better. Sometimes I think a little overboard the other way. History should be history, unfortunately, it tends to be the opinon of he who interprets of history.

Is that eneogh of an example. They leave out much of the world. It is a proven fact that most Americans do not even know where the country of Lichtenstein is.

Thats not true! Every Boy Scout knows that Lichtenstein grows on the North side of a tree, how else can you find North when there are clouds.

On the other hand, how many Europeans know where Rhode Island is? And "in the US is not acceptable". Rhode Island is much bigger than Lichtenstein. Probably the same number as Americans that could find Rhode Island. I do think you have a valid point here.

That is very true. The media manipulates the way people think. It is this way all over the world.

This is basically what I dont like. I am a US/German citizen who was born and raised in Europe but lived for many years in the United States. I have seen both sides of the house. I dont like how some people (I will not give names but you know you are) make these stereotypes that are completly wrong, because they dont know anything outside of there sphere called the USA. Basically what I am saying is this, if you do not know or understand something, learn first then pass judgement.

I agree. America has alway been mostly interested in its own development. Prior to WWII we were intensly isolationist (we had all we needed, just don't bother us). We have had to face global relationships only for the last 70 years and have been slow to develop out global social graces.

And US citizen make fools out of themselves everywhere as well. I see it on a day to day basis here in Germany. If you saw how they acted you would be ashamed of yourself.

Well, I don't think I would be ashamed of myself, maybe him.

And as for that Euro-tards remark, I am giving you ****ing warning now. There are plenty of Europeans on this forum including the German side of me. I will not tolerate you making open offending remarks to them. I dont give a damn what your agenda is! Dont get me started syscom, I really do like you, I think for the most part we see eye to eye on a lot of things and get along but I have no problem becoming an ******* and bringing a hammer down.

Syscom3 does provide you with a lots of good examples. However, a few of his more rational comments are valid.

One last comment. I tend to pick up that you think that we like American airplanes just because we are American. I think that that is pretty normal. I believe the English fight for the spitfire and lancaster, the Germans fight for the Me-109 and Fw-190, etc., The Americans fight for P-51, P-47, etc. That makes for good discussions. The fact that the arguments are so hard to win is that most of these planes were just magnificent.

davparlr said:
Not at all. You have a unique perspective on this subject and a valued input.

Thankyou as you do as well.

davparlr said:
Unfortunately we see each other through a small window often tinted by others. I am sure that much perception about Americans have been from the movies. Much perception about Europeans also come from the movies, the movie makers creation of what he wants the European (African, Asian) to be.

Agreed 100%

davparlr said:
Good grief, I like David Hasselhof.

I cant stand him, and if you had ever heard the german language music albums that he put out over you would undestand why.

"Du Bist Alles..."

AAAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH

:shock:

davparlr said:
Agreed, however, I suspect all soldiers behave in such a manner, especially when alcohol is involved. Only, there tends to be more American soldiers around in foreign countries. When I was in training in the Air Force, we had two NATO student pilots from Norway. They promptly went down to Oklahoma City, got drunk and was thrown in jail for disorderly conduct. Our Squadron leader had to go down and bail them out. No other student pilots (American, Irani, Afganistan, even Marines) got into that type of trouble. How do you think the folks in Oklahoma felt about Norwegians (and maybe even Europeans in general), probably the first ones they ever met.

Agreed and what you just said is basically what I have been trying to get at. When that is all you know, that is what you think of them all and that goes for everyone in the world.

davparlr said:
No argument here. My experience confirms these comments. I do think things are getting better. Sometimes I think a little overboard the other way. History should be history, unfortunately, it tends to be the opinon of he who interprets of history.

I do sincerly hope that it is getting better, because my children will go to American schools in Alaska.

davparlr said:
Thats not true! Every Boy Scout knows that Lichtenstein grows on the North side of a tree, how else can you find North when there are clouds.

:lol:

davparlr said:
On the other hand, how many Europeans know where Rhode Island is? And "in the US is not acceptable". Rhode Island is much bigger than Lichtenstein. Probably the same number as Americans that could find Rhode Island. I do think you have a valid point here.

And you do have a very valid point there that is probably very true.

davparlr said:
Syscom3 does provide you with a lots of good examples. However, a few of his more rational comments are valid.

You are correct. That is why I like him, believe it or not. He contributes very well to this forum and I have learned a lot from him. It is not what he says, it is the way he says it...

davparlr said:
One last comment. I tend to pick up that you think that we like American airplanes just because we are American. I think that that is pretty normal. I believe the English fight for the spitfire and lancaster, the Germans fight for the Me-109 and Fw-190, etc., The Americans fight for P-51, P-47, etc. That makes for good discussions. The fact that the arguments are so hard to win is that most of these planes were just magnificent.

Not really. I think all the planes were great, no matter who made them. Each had there own qualities that made them great and I love learning about them. I just dont like the way some things are worded I guess or how some people can not even consider or look into the other side of things.

FLYBOYJ said:
I think what many fail to realize here that if Kerry was president, we probably wouldn't of seen much of a difference with regards to Iraq - when Bush speaks he sounds like an idiot, good ole Texas "good ole boy" and even when he does well, he'll always have that stigma - he's a white southern richman, the type the media loves to hate. But then again if Bush wasn't Pres, who's the alternatives?!?! Hilliary? Gore? Kerry? How about Al Sharpton?!?!?

As far as loud obnoxious Americans - yes there are many, we admit it, it's the same bunch that go on the 65% overweight statistic discussed on the other threads...

PRAISE THE LORD, AL SHARPTON IN THE HOUSE! WOO YEAH. *cough cough*

DerAdlerIstGelandet said:
The problem with so many Americans over here is they litterally have the attitude (I am not joking about this they actually think this) "We won the war, they better speak english to me!"

QUOTE]
I don't think that is the attitude of most Americans, except maybe obnoxious soldiers, but maybe of the Brits:lol: . Most Americans could care less about who won the war. Their attitude is probably more like "We're Americans, you should speak English". I think a lot of Americans are spoiled because so much of the world does speak english that it is not difficult to find someone who speaks it. My sister lived and taught school for the Army in Frankfurt am Main for 10 years (I think). All she could say was "Voe ist der Gutenburg Musuem"! She would feel guilty if she read this thread. On one of my crew rest in Frankfurt, she took me out for dinner and warned that many of the restaurants are front for prostitution. Sure enough she found one. The food was great and so was the view! She did tell me that the Germans were not appreciative of her butchering their language and perfered to talk in english. She loved Germany. She now lives north of Anchorage in Alaska. Where are you going. We will be visiting her in August.

"I don't think that is the attitude of most Americans, except maybe obnoxious soldiers, but maybe of the Brits"

Are you trying to tell me that I didn't attempt to speak German while in Germany? I see you're another one of those American's that hates the "Evil British Empire" because everytime you mention stereotypes you have to add that "it's probably true for the Brits". *******.

In answer to other questions, a majority of the Britons questions described Americans as uncaring, divided by class, awash in violent crime, vulgar, preoccupied with money, ignorant of the outside world, racially divided, uncultured and in the most overwhelming result (90 percent of respondents) dominated by big business."

Most of Britain is pretty much exactly the same aside for ignorance of the world, most Britons are well aware of the outside world and hate most of it for some reason or another, or else spend their time there getting drunk and being obnoxious whilst shouting at the locals in English and complaining if they dont speak it, because Britain does have the lowest rate of second language speakers in Europe. Of course not all Britons are like this, just as not all Americans are as described, these polls are nothing but a crock of shite on a slow news day.

I thought only the British did this, but a Dutch person did it to me in Amsterdam. When people can't speak the language, why do they assume that if they shout louder and talk slower that the person will understand them?

Britain's awful image comes from the places all the assh*les go. All the places that thrive on the British clubbers pass on the image of a British holiday maker. But when you go somewhere there's a few British people out to enjoy a real holiday, then they're not bad at all. It's a shame the lager louts caught on to Gran Canaria, I liked that country!

plan_D said:
"I don't think that is the attitude of most Americans, except maybe obnoxious soldiers, but maybe of the Brits"

Are you trying to tell me that I didn't attempt to speak German while in Germany? I see you're another one of those American's that hates the "Evil British Empire" because everytime you mention stereotypes you have to add that "it's probably true for the Brits". *******.

I realize that I was making a little too much fun of the Brits. I think they are great. My mother-in-law is from Leicester and we have many wonderful relatives there. They have been a strong and trusting ally for a long time and I hold them in high esteem. What I said was in jest and I hope I didn't offend anyone.

pbfoot said:
I live in a city of 75000..........

You can not call that a city, that is a town, wow George where I live have more people.

I must say that the way I did see Americans as arrogant @ssholes, but since I have been here and and have been getting to know you yanks more I would say you do get awesome Americans they all are not @ssholes, but if you guys can see how the American tourist are here and their attitude here you guys would understand.

The Brits, well I do not know what to say because I do not know much about you guys.

So since I have had friends and family over in the US I would say I must say that the Americans are now lazy, know it all and think they own the world. Remember that is how I see them and the way it was told to me, not by one but many, but it is not all of you yanks though.

I say this not to say bad stuff but just how I see it and the way most of us here see it and Bush the son of a b*tch just makes everything worse when he opens his mouth or does something.

The jobs that the US people does not want to do now is great work, they must just put a bit of muscle into it and work, but it is easier to get people from countries where the people needs jobs and are desperate to get work and money and then give them a great big F you and treat them like sh*t.

I would really love to go to the EU and see a lot of stuff there, but the US, well I do not know. I will vissot a friend and some museums, but the way we see it here it piss me off a lot and would not want to vissot the US.

So to end the long bullshit story I would just like to say to you US guys I must say that you do get great people everywhere and do not take it personnel or think I want to talk bullshit about you, but this is the way we see you here.

As an American who has spent alot of time overseas, most American tourists are retards and meatballs.... I have been embarrassed many many times by them... I can recall right off the top of my head 2 vacations I took with my wife where we hung out with the Brits and then the Irish tourists (clubs, dinners, beach etc) instead of with my own countrymen/women, because they were nothing but a bunch of clods....

Its pretty much the same in every country guys.... There is always a contingent of as@holes, in ANY countries population, and for some reason, they are the ones going abroad and on holiday...

What honestly gets me about my country, as Henk said, is the laziness.... Many people would rather sit on their a@ses and collect unemployment benefits instead of getting a job, and they are a leech and a bane on my society.... If ur able to work, get a freakin job... McDonald's down here is paying 9 bucks an hour for christsakes....

To be honest here guys, I dont have to work.. I have enough $$$ to live happily ever after and not bother with anything, but my mind desires a challenge, and to that end, I dont think Ill ever retire, just maybe take longer vacations lol.... Sometimes Im very embarrassed to be an American, for no other reason than my countrymens behavior...

As for the worlds opinion of Americans, who gives a ****..... I live in the greatest country in the world, and nothing u South Americans, Africans, Euros or Orientals say bothers me at all... My country is a warmongering country led by a redneck from Texas....

Who cares.... Just about everyone I know could care less about "World Opinion"...

lesofprimus said:
As an American who has spent alot of time overseas, most American tourists are retards and meatballs.... I have been embarrassed many many times by them... I can recall right off the top of my head 2 vacations I took with my wife where we hung out with the Brits and then the Irish tourists (clubs, dinners, beach etc) instead of with my own countrymen/women, because they were nothing but a bunch of clods....

Its pretty much the same in every country guys.... There is always a contingent of as@holes, in ANY countries population, and for some reason, they are the ones going abroad and on holiday...

What honestly gets me about my country, as Henk said, is the laziness.... Many people would rather sit on their a@ses and collect unemployment benefits instead of getting a job, and they are a leech and a bane on my society.... If ur able to work, get a freakin job... McDonald's down here is paying 9 bucks an hour for christsakes....

To be honest here guys, I dont have to work.. I have enough $$$ to live happily ever after and not bother with anything, but my mind desires a challenge, and to that end, I dont think Ill ever retire, just maybe take longer vacations lol.... Sometimes Im very embarrassed to be an American, for no other reason than my countrymens behavior...

As for the worlds opinion of Americans, who gives a ****..... I live in the greatest country in the world, and nothing u South Americans, Africans, Euros or Orientals say bothers me at all... My country is a warmongering country led by a redneck from Texas....

Who cares.... Just about everyone I know could care less about "World Opinion"...

I agree with you 100%, but you know Les it does make a difference if you vissot a place and people treat you like **** because the see you for the @ssholes that give your country a poor name.

Flyboy I did not understand that please explain.

SO I think guys we should stop thinking of this kind of sh*t and stop with the dissing of each other and just diss someone because of the country he or she is from. None of us can say that one of the countries of all the members here are perfect. We all have the same sh*t and problems in their countries.

The biggest assholes Ive ever met were French naval personell.

In Jakarta back in Aug 1995, a bunch of them went to the various local bars and pubs looking for fights. As luck would have it, they got drunk and "mistakenly" picked up some transvestites. It reaffirmed my belief in the theory of bad karma.

If theres another annoying thing about LOTS of Europeans, is the proclivity to lecture the US about the Kyoto treaty, even though 1) They dont know the details of the treaty, 2) They dont know that China and India were exempt from the protocols, 3) They dont understand that treaties in the US need senate confirmation 4) Clinton never submitted it and 5) It was a thinly disguised attempt at taxing the heck out of the US economy and ruining it. 6) The shear size of the US means we need cheap gasoline in many endevours.

In answer to other questions, a majority of the Britons questions described Americans as uncaring, divided by class, awash in violent crime, vulgar, preoccupied with money, ignorant of the outside world, racially divided, uncultured and in the most overwhelming result (90 percent of respondents) dominated by big business."

See that proves at least a majority of Brtions have no idea of the US except for what theyre told by the their govt sponsored and leftist leaning news organs and what they see in the movies.

Uncaring? The US govt and the individual person both give the largest per capita aid in the world. And there is lots of indirect aid proveded by the US Govt that benefits the world in whole.

Divided by class? What in the world does that mean? You mean poor people live in one area and rich people live in another? Someone define this concept of "class warfare" and "working class"?

Awash in violent crime? Some area's yes. Some area's no. In some crimes as measured by per capita we are far lower than many big cities in Europe. Some cities in the US of fairly big size have crime rates that are extremely low. I dont know of a single area in any city in California where there is a "No Go Zone" for police and authorities like they have in France (maybe now in some British) cities.

Vulgar. Well that they might be correct on.

Preoccupied with money? Well, BETTER to be rich than poor.

Ignorant of the outside world? Some people dont care about what goes on outside of their neighborhoods, some do. You can find that anywhere in the world.

Racially divided? It might come as a shock to some Europeans, but many people on their own free will tend to like to settle in the same neighborhoods as their own income levels. Nothing wrong with that. As for racial probems? Here in southern california, the main issue is racial violence between black and latino's. Whites and asians dont have these problems. Of course most Europeans ALWAYS think its white vs black. And when you ask them about what specific things makes them think their is a huge racial divide in the country, and they sound like theyre listening to news reports from the 60's. Like they're stuck in a mental time warp, with their brains locked into only listening to "experts" from their socialist dominated media who cherry pick news stories to prove their points.

Uncultured? I didnt know you had to be cultured to be an intelligent and decent person.

Dominated by big business? So theyre better off by being dominated by big govt? At least I can stop buying the products of a big business. And its not like they dont have "big business" in Britain?

pbfoot said:
actually the US is rather low on the amount per person just ahead of Portugal in 21st place and a full 30% of US foreign aid goes to Israel which puts Israel at 9th place on the welfare list just a little ahead of Ethiopia
The US and Foreign Aid Assistance - Global Issues
But that's per capita - look at the chart for actual dollars...

Net ODA in 2005 as US dollar amounts Country Aid amount by dollars
Source: Aid flows top USD 100 billion in 2005, OECD, April 2006 (preliminary data)

USA 27,457
Japan 13,101
UK 10,754
France 10,059
Germany 9,915
Netherlands 5,131
Italy 5,053
Canada 3,731
Sweden 3,280
Spain 3,123
Norway 2,775
Denmark 2,107
Belgium 1,975
Switzerland 1,771
Australia 1,666
Austria 1,552
Finland 897
Ireland 692
Greece 535
Portugal 367
New Zealand 274
Luxembourg 264

I misread syscoms post and thought he was stating amount per capita but I erred oh and heres a pic of Fleet and across the road for some memories for you

Attachments

• IMG_0384.JPG
    IMG_0384.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0385.JPG
    IMG_0385.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 85

Users who are viewing this thread

Back